friskyjim

Can I put in a brushless motor in dt03 racing fighter if so which one please?

How many splines on your servo? 

If the non-working servo is a different brand, it might have different numbers of splines.  Futaba and Tamiya come with 25 splines. You use P5 for that.  But if you have Sanwa, Acoms, Multiplex, they come with 23 splines.  P5 won't fit.  You have to use P6. 

Hopefully, your car came with unused P parts.  If not, you can find "Tamiya P parts" on ebay. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Juggular said:

How many splines on your servo? 

If the older non-working servo is a different brand, it might have different numbers of splines.  Futaba and Tamiya come with 25 splines. You use P5 for that.  But if you have Sanwa, Acoms, Multiplex, they come with 23 splines.  P5 won't fit.  You have to use P6.  

Thanks Juggular,  the non- working one is a towerpro MG996R DIGI-HI TORQUE   , when I bought this off the chap on ebay he said 'it's all stock'  so I assumed he also meant the servo too.  When I started up the car the forward/reverese works fine but the steering just didn't steer at all to the right and only very weak to the left, when moving the servo saver left to right there was absolutely no resistance or mechanical noise coming from the servo?  Not sure I'm communicating this clearly - sorry if not, but there was no feel to it, just sloppy, no resistance.  So seeing as I had the carson I thought I'd just put that one in.
Does that sound like a broke servo to you mate?

Yep, it sounds like it failed.  I've got a few MG996 myself.  They are strong when they work.  But a couple of them failed on me too.    

MG996R has 25 splines, so it used P5.  What I can't find out is how many splines the Carson servo has.  Try P6, if you have it.  

• Thanks 1

Just a thought, does the transmitter have an adjustable steering rate control (think that's what's it called)? If that is turned all the way down, it can cause minimal movement (although I would expect some resistance).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SurreyDad said:

Just a thought, does the transmitter have an adjustable steering rate control (think that's what's it called)? If that is turned all the way down, it can cause minimal movement (although I would expect some resistance).

yes Surrey it's the carson reflex stick 3.1  it's got the ST/D/R knob/dial at the top right of the face of the transmitter - it's presently halfway

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juggular said:

Yep, it sounds like it failed.  I've got a few MG996 myself.  They are strong when they work.  But a couple of them failed on me too.    

MG996R has 25 splines, so it used P5.  What I can't find out is how many splines the Carson servo has.  Try P6, if you have it.  

Yes!!!  Well done boys - wouldn't have got there without your help, all working now:)    Used the p6 you mentioned Juggular, the p6 wasn't on the previous one, but on this one now - great knowledge there, infact great knowledge from all of yer!!   :)

Thanks again.   Phew - Off for a ciggy now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The DT03 is perfect for brushless. Just make sure you have ball bearings all around and good tyres. I use Schumacher Mini spike in yellow compound on mine with medium foams, and it made a world of difference on grass. Generally speaking, the stock tyres are useless.

I run an Absima Thrust ECO 3421 kv motor and a Hobbywing Quicrun BL1060 with a 19 tooth pinion. Works great for this rig.

I'e chosen to not run a hardened pinion. Pinions are cheap and easy to come by. I prefer to wear them down rather than my spur. I use white lithium grease on my gears which really makes them run cool, and I use Team Associated 200000 cst diff lube inside the diff.

Lastly, consider an unpainted wing for running, and a nice painted wing for the shelf. With that power, your wing will become a wheelie bar rather frequently.

• Like 1