Sign in to follow this  
Jason1145

How do the CPE ClodBuster wheel wideners fit?

I know there are more preferred ways to widen a Clod but out of curiosity can anyone pin point how these Wheel Wideners work on the Clod axles?

http://crawfordperformanceengineering.com/product_info.php?products_id=682

Won't the threaded axle get lost inside the new widener meaning you wont be able secure the wheel nut on anymore?

(The assembled photo shows no axle sticking out)

The silver rods you can see are threaded internally. 

They thread/screw onto the axles. The widener's fit over then you screw into them from the wheels using the threaded screws rather than wheel nuts.

• Like 1

Exactly was Prescient said, be sure to use threadlock on them.  Better option would be to get a set of JConcepts Tribute wheels, they come with three different offset adapters to widen the track.  Proline Brawlers can also be bought with a +17.5mm offset.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Prescient said:

The silver rods you can see are threaded internally. 

They thread/screw onto the axles. The widener's fit over then you screw into them from the wheels using the threaded screws rather than wheel nuts.

Yikes.... So the wheel face is going to be held on by a screw head - instead of the usual wheel nut? ( those 4 little screws shown in the bottom right of CPE photo?)

Has anyone tried these before? Is it a Philips head screw?

1 hour ago, 87lc2 said:

Exactly was Prescient said, be sure to use threadlock on them.  Better option would be to get a set of JConcepts Tribute wheels, they come with three different offset adapters to widen the track.  Proline Brawlers can also be bought with a +17.5mm offset.

I'll use these on my next Clod if stock Clod tyres fit both the Jconcepts and Proline options.

Edit : The Brawlers wheels have a 12mm hex fitting but the Clod has a weird hole/slot design? Are they compatible?

Clod tires will fit the aftermarket wheels, but you may have to trim the bead a bit as Clod tire beads are very thick.  The Clod does have a 12mm hex drive, you just don't use the plastic adapter when using aftermarket wheels.  The Brawlers & Tributes work fine with no modifications needed, I have plenty of them on my trucks.

• Like 1

I've got a set of old Proline Giant Tracs that came with an Ebay Clod I got a few years ago. They are glued to rims with those wideners, and I really don't see myself ever using them. They were the only option at one time, but now there are so many better ways