Sign in to follow this  
Hudson

What's going on with vintage NIB prices

15 hours ago, SuperChamp82 said:

Maybe I’m getting sentimental in my old age but these days I sort of feel sorry for Marui - and with a bit of luck they might still be an RC car powerhouse vs a French wheelie relic ☹️

If childhood hobby timeline is remembered correctly :) Marui (aka TokyoMarui) exited 1/10 RC market in late 80s to pioneer electric motorised mechanisms in their BB-gun range. 

For which they're still leader (afaik) of that industry & must've made a motsa more there than if they stayed in RC ;) 

• Like 2

Yep, that is the strange, true history of Marui - guns. Fake guns.

Though in the post R/C era (1990s onwards) they did still make one or two other odd R/C items I think? They just weren’t cars. Might have been some basic R/C tanks and an R/C Mothra monster, from memory? :huh:

Also, AFAIK they released one (just one) late 1980s, very “Tamiya style” full colour product catalogue, which I have. Never found any others though. 

• Like 1

Yep TokyoMarui leads their toy gun industry by making 1:1 scale replicas of firearms... from basic springloaded & pump action to compressed gas (freon?!) powered & fully automatic mechanisms powered by 540 size motors & 7.2V racing packs :) 

They just stopped the 1/10 RC... they still make some palmsized RC tanks that shoot BBs I think? 

Dunno... wasn't too interested in tanks, not even the ones that could shoot BBs. The gun guys would crossover to LHS to buy racing packs & hopup motors... :ph34r:

• Like 1

I had a Big Bear back in the day, and I don't remember any problems with brittle plastics. The steering linkage was too small for the task, and the ball joints popped off easily, but the chassis/suspension parts held up fine. Most of the problems with it were design/engineering, not materials - it actually drove better if you removed the springs and replaced them with rubber tubing and just let the tires be the suspension. And I seem to remember some issues with gears skipping, probably related to that one counter gear with no bearings or bushings at all; it just rode on the shaft.

But as a model - wow! Hard body with a full interior, lovely detail, nice presentation (which I did appreciate, for about ten seconds before ripping it all open), and the stance of the finished truck was perfect. It looked so good. I definitely would be interested in finding another one someday, whether NIB or a wreck to restore.

The other Marui model I always liked was that Bill Elliott Thunderbird. I liked the idea of it being either on-road or off-road and including both sets of tires. Kind of the forerunner to the '90s touring car craze, if you think about it...

I would guess that if they ever did stop playing with their little toy guns and remake an RC car for old time's sake, it would probably be the Big Bear, and I would happily buy one. Or maybe two, so I could keep one in the box...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, junkmunki said:

but at the time i thought that the early kyosho stuff was quite clunky and un realistic, which might explain why they are so valuable now, as they didn't sell in great numbers compared to Tamiya stuff. I have to say though, when the Optima and the likes came out, Kyosho wiped out the opposition when it came to racing.

To be totally fair, Kyosho were ahead of Tamiya in terms of engineering from the start. When they did do a scale model - it was extraordinary, but not to the level of Tamiya. Their cars, like Yokomo, AYK etc were heavily orientated towards racing. The Scorpions and to a lesser extent the Progress series were superior in handling and strength than just about any of the Tamiya's. The next time frame - Ultimas, RC10's, Schumachers, Losi and everyone else ATE Tamiya alive in the racing stakes. This is not a criticism, however, Tamiya was more the scale R/C company that cleverly marketed their products using "racing" as the catch cry. I am thankful to them for bringing so many people to the hobby and also especially to racing, where drivers soon realised that they were using a car that just wasn't quite up to the task. There were some exceptions, most notably the Top Force and perhaps for a brief period the Dyna Storm. I am merely saying that many look to Tamiya as a racing car - for the most part - they were not. They were an honest product that looked brilliant and went well enough for a basic club racer, but either you spent 4 times the cars cost on the questionable hop-up parts that marginally increased performance to the level of the other brands,and dozens of hours fettling and making everything efficient and smooth, or you simply bought a more race orientated vehicle. I am not bagging Tamiya - I love them and they make up a huge part of my collection, however many have rose coloured glasses, (I am not directing this at anyone), when it comes to the performance of these vehicles. I guess because I am a racer first - "enthusiastic collector" second, I tend to see things from a different perspective. :D

My love for other brands (especially race orientated ones) is strong as I have been racing since 1977, I have seen so many things change but also stay the same. The ideas that were thrown around in those early days are still alive and well today as technology has caught up to the great minds that designed hop ups and cars back in the day. The layouts for the modern 4wd and 2wd are easy to trace back to earlier designs, you can see what they were trying to achieve, but the technology in moulding and machining and materials have allowed dreams to realisation. The collection of these more race orientated brands is sometimes very difficult and tedious to source as racers used their cars hard, and burn a lot of parts up - meaning there is less around. Racing is the single thing that exploded this hobby, and while Tamiya was a part of that, it was a relatively small part - especially at the higher levels of racing. Again, the "lesser" brands like Marui, Nichimo, Tamiya and one or two others early on laid some really nice scale, relatively high-performance creations. These brought people to race tracks where they either simply decided that racing wasn't for them, or they were captured and hooked and moved on to racing products. Thank god for the more scale companies, cause without them - I don't think we would be where we are today with this hobby.

Sorry to go a bit off topic here and I certainly am not directing this at any one person (despite the quote) - as this is a topic I am quite passionate about - the preservation of racing history.

Cheers

Darryn

• Like 4

11 hours ago, markbt73 said:

I had a Big Bear back in the day, and I don't remember any problems with brittle plastics. The steering linkage was too small for the task, and the ball joints popped off easily, but the chassis/suspension parts held up fine. Most of the problems with it were design/engineering, not materials - it actually drove better if you removed the springs and replaced them with rubber tubing and just let the tires be the suspension. And I seem to remember some issues with gears skipping, probably related to that one counter gear with no bearings or bushings at all; it just rode on the shaft.

But as a model - wow! Hard body with a full interior, lovely detail, nice presentation (which I did appreciate, for about ten seconds before ripping it all open), and the stance of the finished truck was perfect. It looked so good. I definitely would be interested in finding another one someday, whether NIB or a wreck to restore.

The other Marui model I always liked was that Bill Elliott Thunderbird. I liked the idea of it being either on-road or off-road and including both sets of tires. Kind of the forerunner to the '90s touring car craze, if you think about it...

I would guess that if they ever did stop playing with their little toy guns and remake an RC car for old time's sake, it would probably be the Big Bear, and I would happily buy one. Or maybe two, so I could keep one in the box...

I love this post!!

The Big Bear was the first "Monster Truck" - I remember vividly having the choice between this and a HotShot. I was already racing sometimes, but really loved the look of the Big Bear and I was itching for some fun. Holy Moses did I punish that thing! Anyone who says their cars were weak plastic must have some seriously astronomical expectations of that these cars are capable of. Yes - the design wasn't perfect - the front tyres hitting the body on full lock for one! The sound of those enormous tyres (for the time), making that unmistakable moaning spinning sound, they were such a great car. Going from full forward to reverse on dirt and the thing disappearing in a cloud of rocks and dirt and dust as those huge tractor hoops tore up the terrain. I have a few Big Bears, from NIB to restore for runner stage. Might have to miove it up the list of builds now - this has got me pumped to run one again!! :wub:

• Like 4

Please forgive the format of some of my posts, there are issues with my account - messing up the formatting and I cannot edit my own posts!! 

5 hours ago, RETRO R/C said:

I love this post!!

The Big Bear was the first "Monster Truck" - I remember vividly having the choice between this and a HotShot. I was already racing sometimes, but really loved the look of the Big Bear and I was itching for some fun. Holy Moses did I punish that thing! Anyone who says their cars were weak plastic must have some seriously astronomical expectations of that these cars are capable of. Yes - the design wasn't perfect - the front tyres hitting the body on full lock for one! The sound of those enormous tyres (for the time), making that unmistakable moaning spinning sound, they were such a great car. Going from full forward to reverse on dirt and the thing disappearing in a cloud of rocks and dirt and dust as those huge tractor hoops tore up the terrain. I have a few Big Bears, from NIB to restore for runner stage. Might have to miove it up the list of builds now - this has got me pumped to run one again!! :wub:

My original just got a restoration this year, such a great looking truck, unfortunately I can’t run it as the tyres are just too fragile

33244349118_991afd3b8b_k.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mtbkym01 said:

My original just got a restoration this year, such a great looking truck, unfortunately I can’t run it as the tyres are just too fragile

Mate - that is an absolute CRACKER!! 

Go on - just run it on ht egrass! You know you want to! ;)

Cheers

Darryn

• Like 1

I never had a Big Bear - and you guys are making me sorely tempted to correct that !! Esp @mtbkym01 and @RETRO R/C :)  

I saved every penny I earned / was given for a Bruiser back in the day - which didn’t disappoint for a second but was a completely different proposition. 

Strolling down memory lane now makes me wonder whether the Bear (as the original Monster truck) edged the later Blackfoot ? Looking at it afresh, it’s almost a perfect hybrid of earlier Hi Lux cleanliness with a shorter Datsun w/b and fantastic fat tyres ?

I did have a superb Samurai a few years later - which, for me, was just stunning ... part Gallop, part Optima, part Hotshot, with a bit of Javelin thrown in for good measure :) 

It also had a drive design that arguably bettered the Optima. And held its own on the tracks ... initially. 

Trouble was, it broke ... repeatedly, so whether that was weak plastics, or overly optimistic design around stress points, the outcome was the same - utter frustration.

I’d maybe go back for a shelf queen through. It was just beautiful to look at - and admire the ambition.

Anyone know what a sensible price would be for NIB or boxed / built ?

Ditto the Bear ?

PS Also agree re the Thunderbird @markbt73 - Coors branded from memory ... and years before watery US beer officially landed over here 😂

Yep, Coors and Melling Oil Pumps were the sponsors, and it was modeled after Bill Elliott's car from about 1984-86. In 1987 Ford changed the Thunderbird's front end slightly, and in 1989 redesigned the entire car, so the Marui version was always a little bit behind the times (I think it came out in 1988?).

And as far as I know, Coors was actually held in pretty high regard back then, before Miller bought them out and ruined the recipe. (can't confirm, as it was several years before my beer drinking began.) There's a reason Burt Reynolds and Jerry Reed bootlegged a whole truckload of it.

As for Big Bear vs Blackfoot, having owned both back in the day, I can tell you that the Blackfoot ran circles around the Bear in terms of driving dynamics and stability. You couldn't say the Blackfoot handled "well," exactly, but I had to go flip it back onto its wheels a whole lot less often than I did the Big Bear. But it was much easier to get a decent wheelie out of the Big Bear, especially after the Blackfoot's diff gears started to skip...

• Like 1

The Big Bear was indeed the first "Monster Truck"- they blazed a few trails. Marui did some pretty cool stuff back then, and some weird stuff as well - but that's what makes this era of the hobby so darn fascinating.

Cheers

Darryn

9 hours ago, SuperChamp82 said:

Anyone know what a sensible price would be for NIB or boxed / built ?

For a Samurai, NIB is around US$1000 I think... but it's always hard to be sure, when none have appeared on ebay for a while. And ebay still generally determines the price.

Speaking of which, back to the RC10. The below example represents a high watermark on the value of a new built original RC10 - US$1094 (AU$1551).  NIB will therefore be above this.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Team-Associated-RC10-Gold-Pan-Original-Vintage-New-Built-Perfect-Condition/372620440723

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RETRO R/C said:

The Big Bear was indeed the first "Monster Truck"- they blazed a few trails.

Actually, technically, Marui weren’t the first at all. Prepare to be surprised :P The first radio controlled monster truck was not the Marui Big Bear (1984)...:o

It was either the Taiyo Big Roader (1983) 1/14 or the Nikko Ford Ranger (1983) 1/18

Both made in Japan. The former is practically a scale replica of the famous Bigfoot real monster truck. And these models were out in force at the toy fairs in Japan a whole year earlier, where undoubtedly, the other brands were also present. Because back in those days, toys and hobbies were all one big fair. And the ready-to-run R/C models had all kinds of demos and events to support them, just like the bigger kits had.

Taiyo Big Roader...

forsaletaiyobigroader001.jpg

forsaletaiyobigroader005.jpg

BIGFOOT-1b.jpg

Nikko Ford Ranger...

for-sale-nikko-ford-ranger-off-roader-00

for-sale-nikko-ford-ranger-off-roader-00

I even went so far as to confirm the years of manufacture of both of these. The Big Roader was elusive, and I had to delve into Taiyo history to confirm it... but confirm I did.

So if the Marui Big Bear was out in 1984.... then technically Marui may have got the idea from one of these little guys.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Hibernaculum said:

Actually, technically, Marui weren’t the first at all. Prepare to be surprised :P The first radio controlled monster truck was not the Marui Big Bear (1984)...:o

Actually technically, this isn't a hobby grade kit that you put together! Marui kits are is a hobby grade product ;)

Round two...🤣

(Fascinating research on Taiyo man, you always amaze me with some of the toy grade stuff. I would hazard a guess though and say there may have been "monster trucks" in the toy grade before this?)

Cheers

Darryn

• Like 1

The research continues... 🤓 But yeah - at this stage, those two - Taiyo Big Roader and Nikko Ford Ranger, do appear to pre-date all R/C monster trucks. As in, I have researched for years, the R/C range of every RTR manufacturer that existed at that time. And if we look at 1982... there were just no monster trucks to be found at all.

First R/C Monster Trucks: Taiyo Big Roader (1983) and Nikko Ford Ranger (1983)

And yes, first R/C kit based Monster Truck: Marui Big Bear (1984)

It’s worth noting that those RTR R/C companies and their products changed just as rapidly as kit based R/C brands. Like... The development in those days was frenetic! For fun, here's a statistic from Nikko:

• 1980 Nikko had just 1 off road R/C vehicle in their range.
  • 1981 they had 6.
  • 1982 they had 10.

Off road was very new and grew so rapidly. But there were literally no R/C monster trucks in the world before 1983, in any of the archaeological data I have uncovered so far. :D

The closest thing anyone had to a monster truck the previous year, in 1982, was Nikko's Toyota HiLux 4WD - but this was a scale replica. It didn't have grossly outsized wheels/tyres. The wheels were a bit bigger relative to the car, than that of the Tamiya HiLux (which inspired it), but were nowhere near "monster" size as you can see here:

nikkotoyotahilux4wd006.jpg

This car was later (1985) reworked to have larger wheels of course... due to the monster craze which was in full swing by then...

nikkotoyotahilux4wdmk3_001.jpg

We should also remember that back in those days, there were not a bazillion nameless companies making R/C cars.

It wasn't like today, where Chinese companies are manufacturing approximately 100,000 tons of R/C car landfill per day. Much of which goes directly from the factory, into landfill. Some Chinese cities are built on a foundation of R/C cars. And many of the Earth's mammals, birds and fish absorb the plastics. Before we in turn, eat the animals. Thereby, eating those R/C cars.

[It is estimated that the average American consumes 1-2 whole Chinese R/C cars per year in their food]

- I am joking. But on the other hand, look at these cows

No...

Back in those days of the early 1980s, there were so few manufacturers. And all of them had actual brands, and even product catalogues. Yes, Taiyo, Nikko, Atcomi, Matsushiro, Shinsei and all the others - had their own glossy product catalogues, and all of them trumpeted their quality. Because they were proud of the toys they were producing. ^_^ And they didn't want to put them straight into landfill, or into our mouths. :lol:

H.

• Like 3

There's an interesting philosophical difference here that I think is worth pointing out. In a nutshell, it's not the toy - it's how you play with it.

When I was a kid, my favorite toys were always the ones that came in pieces, or ones that could be made into other stuff. Lego, Erector sets (Meccano in other parts of the world, I think), Capsela (remember those?), those Radio Shack electronic kits with the spring-loaded terminals that taught you about circuits; that was what got played with. I had a Hot Wheels thing that would cast a car out of wax; I had more fun making those than I did playing with the actual Hot Wheels cars.

Sure, I had other toys, but my interest in them usually fizzled if I couldn't tinker with them. Or, later on, I would take them apart to see how they worked, and not be able to reassemble them, not due to lack of skill (well, sometimes), but more often because they weren't designed to ever be taken apart. I ruined a lot of toys, but I learned a lot. (In hindsight, I really should have been a mechanical engineer, but I just don't like all the math.)

So in my mind, the distinction between "toy grade" and "hobby grade" has always been a simple test: is the end-user meant to take it apart and put it back together? If the answer is no, then I'm not going to really pay it much attention. I remember seeing those Nikko Toyota 4WD pickups in toy stores, and yes, they were really sophisticated for their time. But all that sophistication was buried deep inside it, where I couldn't see or touch it, and all the user was "allowed" to do was open a flap in the undercarriage, stick some batteries in, and go drive it around. Fun, but... here's this other toy, that's about the same size or maybe a little bigger, and it comes as a box of parts that you get to (not have to) assemble, and then you can drive it around, and then take it apart, add other parts to make it better, put it back together again, and drive it around some more! Much more satisfying to a kid like me.

And yes, there were some blurred lines in terms of design and specification, and there still are. But philosophically speaking, in terms of intended use, there is a huge gulf between Nikko/Taiyo/etc and hobby-grade models. Yeah, they're cool and all, but only for a few minutes. When the battery runs out, you're done playing for the day. With a proper hobby-grade RC car, when you bring it back in after a run, if you love to tinker, the fun is just getting started.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, markbt73 said:

Capsela (remember those?),

Yep. I never had them but I remember them well.

5 hours ago, markbt73 said:

Sure, I had other toys, but my interest in them usually fizzled if I couldn't tinker with them. Or, later on, I would take them apart to see how they worked, and not be able to reassemble them, not due to lack of skill (well, sometimes), but more often because they weren't designed to ever be taken apart. I ruined a lot of toys, but I learned a lot. (In hindsight, I really should have been a mechanical engineer, but I just don't like all the math.)

Same here. I was on the path all my school life to be an engineer. I got to a point on the math side of things where I just hit a wall and that was the end of that dream (by the way, I hated when teachers thought I wanted to drive a train when I said I wanted to be an engineer when I grew up). Toy grade RC cars often frustrated me when I tried to pull them apart. Of particular irritation was the pressed-on wheels. Nowadays I can do it, but 10 year old me didn't have a clue. They completely keep you from getting into the gearbox when you're a kid.  

I'm pretty much on the same page as Mark. Once you grow up a little and get past the "excitement" part of just running toy RC cars, you either drop them altogether or become curious about what makes them tick. This is what makes hobby-grade stuff (particularly stuff with decent quality and great instructions, like Tamiya) so great. They continually entertain and challenge you while teaching skill. I know a little about a lot of stuff that all stems from RC involvement.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, markbt73 said:

But philosophically speaking, in terms of intended use, there is a huge gulf between Nikko/Taiyo/etc and hobby-grade models. Yeah, they're cool and all, but only for a few minutes. When the battery runs out, you're done playing for the day. With a proper hobby-grade RC car, when you bring it back in after a run, if you love to tinker, the fun is just getting started.

6 hours ago, Saito2 said:

This is what makes hobby-grade stuff (particularly stuff with decent quality and great instructions, like Tamiya) so great. They continually entertain and challenge you while teaching skill. I know a little about a lot of stuff that all stems from RC involvement.

Recently, the website iFixit attempted to do a teardown on a pair of Apple AirPods. The verdict? Impossible. As in, actually impossible to pull apart without destroying the product itself. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/03/ifixit-teardown-apples-airpods-are-disappointingly-disposable/  

Modern technology is heading in a direction where things are not just hard to fix. They cannot be fixed. Not even by professionals.

Compared to this, the old days of R/C feel like a wonderland of antiquated toys, ripe for disassembly and repair. And that includes the "toy grade", or more broadly and accurately "ready to run" R/C cars.

Sure, they often had stamped axle, and big circuit boards. And I'll admit there are plenty of RTR circuit board issues I still can't fix to this day. :D

But then again... I can't fix the circuits in a "hobby grade" receiver either. Nor can I pull apart or fix a lot of the stamped rotating bezel systems in hobby grade transmitters. On the other hand, I have pulled apart scores of "toy grade" cars and transmitters with simple sliding contact point systems, and found them very easy to fix. Even to the point of tracing and isolating the copper circuit lines on the circuit board to determine what controls what, or tuning the frequency dials in the car or transmitter to adjust the car's reception to perfection.

Sometimes more basic technology isn't less repairable - it's more repairable. A vintage Hotshot with enclosed chassis, and myriad wires to tuck inside during every reassembly...? This fills me with no less apprehension than taking the lid off a Taiyo buggy produced in the same era (circa 1985-1986). Neither one is quicker to inspect or repair, than the other. The Hotshot is just bigger and faster.

And then there's another aspect. If you love "mechanical things that work", why wouldn't you love the internals of a vintage Nikko? Some of their designs were very intricate and complex. The need to produce their functionality in a factory-assembled form, did not automatically mean they were "not intended to be pulled apart and repaired". In many cases there was not a single component to be found that couldn't be disassembled. Nothing was glued. Transmission covers were screwed together. And all manner of levers, sliders, gears and shafts - and even sometimes mechanical speed controllers - could be found too. And in fact, I have found "toy grade" MSCs that were more repairable than the Tamiya ones, which were often not designed to be disassembled at all.

While hobby grade enthusiasts (not you guys! - I am talking about many other people I have seen online over the years) often thumb their noses at the idea of working on or repairing a "toy grade R/C car", sometimes I think to myself:  "Actually, what's so great about being able to disassemble and repair a model with a fully illustrated instruction manual to help you?"

Working on things that may be considered "lesser" in performance, yet have no instructions, can be a greater challenge. Most of the appliances and objects we have in our world and our lives do not have fully illustrated repair manuals to go with them - so if anything, hobby grade kit models are in the minority. They may be among the friendliest things to repair in the world. They are in fact the user-friendly outliers - the Nikkos are more aligned with the more challenging majority of devices and appliances, most of which can be repaired with some initiative. ^_^

There is some satisfaction to be gained from "making the discovery yourself" too, as Carl Sagan would say. One day I pulled apart a clock we had on the wall, which had stopped. I found that incredibly challenging. Pulling anything apart without a manual, and finding that it's inner workings are a feat of forgotten miniature engineering  - perhaps engineering for which no designer at the Nikko factory ever got credit... that's quite a lot of fun. And I guarantee that a Nikko Toyota HiLux is far more complicated internally than a Tamiya Frog, for instance. Try pulling one of those apart completely and rebuilding it with no manual. I've done that :D It was a challenge. But it was no less satisfying than any Tamiya I have worked on.

Much like my website - my workshop is 50% vintage hobby, 50% vintage RTR. The nostalgia I always had for both has always been equal...as you are all aware :P

cheers,

H.

• Like 2

@Hibernaculum.

Unless you have already done it, it sounds like you have the makings of a tear down and rebuild video series so you could show us!

5 hours ago, Hibernaculum said:

And then there's another aspect. If you love "mechanical things that work", why wouldn't you love the internals of a vintage Nikko? Some of their designs were very intricate and complex.

I agree. Vintage RTRs or "toy grade" RC like Nikko is often more complex than than a hobby grade kit. I have no qualms about tearing one down today. I actually had no qualms about tearing one down as a kid (I just knew less). I'm don't mean to disrespect them in any way. But...from a kid's standpoint, when you are developing the skills and knowledge of "how things work", a Tamiya kit is far more nurturing to that affect as a learning aid then a "toy grade" (I don't mean any negative connotation by that term). Most toy grade kits can be fixed but not all were meant to be fixed. A fun challenge for an adult can be a daunting or discouraging task for a child.

For example, my Nikko Mosquito developed a gearbox issue. The axle assembly was pressed together and capped by pressed-on, recessed collars. I had no chance of getting that apart at age 10. My dad had no idea either, neither did the metal shop teacher. Nikko didn't intent for it to be fixed (not that it couldn't, especially with the knowledge found on the internet today). What Nikko did do (which some toy-grade manufacturers didn't) was offer replacement parts. The entire gearbox was available as one unit to fix the car. Thank you Nikko. 

• Like 1

Another slight tangent if you’ll forgive me guys ...

Is the vintage Black 934 still worth collecting given current prices ?

And, if so, at what price NIB vs boxed / built ?

Honestly can’t decide it if its a glaring gap in my collection or a self-imposed itch it’s becoming harder not to scratch 😂

My heart loves its uniqueness / scarcity, the back story, the box ...

My head says it’s an anodised 934 in pretty packaging !

As ever, all thoughts welcome :) 

On 5/3/2019 at 4:34 PM, taffer said:

@Hibernaculum.

Unless you have already done it, it sounds like you have the makings of a tear down and rebuild video series so you could show us!

I just don’t seem to have time sadly ☺️

“Well if he spent less time posting novellas on Tamiyaclub, maybe he would!”

Yeah, yeah I know 🙃

Black 934... I have never attempted to collect this. A mix of being mainly an off-roader guy, and the stratospheric cost. 

It really depends on you @SuperChamp82 and how much you love it. I tend to think collecting needs to be about personal choice and what you’re specifically most passionate about. So I tend not to collect to “fill gaps”. But everyone has their own approach, and the gap-filler collectors out there have my utmost respect... I will gladly pay to visit their museums if I can :D 

• Like 2

kinda of the premise why i would never purchase a 1/2 ton work truck again. some things are for purpose, sometimes i feel bad about not purchasing some of the Tamiya kits, The bodies are awesome, most of the chassis i just can't bring myself to purchase ,on that note i build not race, have a few bashers but when i put something together it has to be tough then look as good as i can make it (remember i'm still practicing) and if it needs something else i wait and install later. you can't build a house with a dozen bricks, six 2"x4"and a nail

so my hobbies either wait till i match the needs i dream it to be, or i'm not doing this anymore:o                                                     :lol:........................................

On 4/30/2019 at 8:07 PM, mtbkym01 said:

33244349118_991afd3b8b_k.jpg

Gorgeous Big Bear!! I want One!

• Like 1