Mark Pascoe

New member and SRB fan here to say hello

Hello Tamiyaclub people. I thought I would introduce myself in the vintage forum as that is my thing and in particular the SRB models. 

Its probably a familiar story, as a teenager in the 80’s I fell in love with Tamiya models and for me the Sand Scorcher was the pinnacle of “cool” Unfortunately I wasn’t lucky enough to afford one back then so I had to make do with reading the brilliant Tamiya catalogues and hanging out with kids who did have them.

Fast forward 20 or so years and the thing that is the internet re-ignited my passion again and allowed me to start gathering SRB parts. In the course of buying used and NOS parts I also discovered “hop up” stuff (something I was unaware of as a teenager) and so started to collect and learn about that too. I’ve been collecting parts with the view to building several cars when I retire. I have nearly everything I need for a NOS box art Scorcher a few hop up models, box art Rough Rider and Super Champ models along with several runners and odd balls!

6CFEE946-5356-4773-9FF5-ACE402916272.jpeg

1AA59634-AFE1-4647-A43C-C89FD300803C.jpeg

• Like 6

Welcome Mark,

I think you are exactly right here, and have a big masterplan!:lol:

All the best for your builds, I will follow for sure with all the NOS stuff you plan to use!

Kind regards,

Matthias

Thank you for the welcome Matthias I’ll keep you all updated and will no doubt bore you to death with questions 😆

• Like 1

And I thought I had a hoard of Vintage SRB parts! Next time the other half starts complaining about how many bits I have in boxes I’m showing her these pictures! 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome to the nut house!

Great collection of bits. How long until you retire? I'm sure we'd all like to see what you come up with :)

20 minutes ago, max69vk said:

And I thought I had a hoard of Vintage SRB parts! Next time the other half starts complaining about how many bits I have in boxes I’m showing her these pictures! 😂

I saw where you went wrong straight away, you told her you had a hoard 😆 Remember the first rule of hoard club!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, casethejoint said:

Welcome to the nut house!

Great collection of bits. How long until you retire? I'm sure we'd all like to see what you come up with :)

Thanks for the welcome, I like nut houses, they’re full of people like me 😆

If all goes to plan I’ll retire in about 3 years but I will probably look to build the NOS Scorcher before that and may get chance to start on some of the hop up cars too, watch this space!

• Like 2

Welcome @Mark Pascoe

A huge amount of time - and not inconsiderable cash ! - invested there sir.

Have you managed to find any period SRB diffs e.g. Thorp or MIP ?

I’m 3 years in restoring my set + still no luck :( 

On 3/18/2019 at 9:36 AM, SuperChamp82 said:

Welcome @Mark Pascoe

A huge amount of time - and not inconsiderable cash ! - invested there sir.

Have you managed to find any period SRB diffs e.g. Thorp or MIP ?

I’m 3 years in restoring my set + still no luck :( 

Thanks for the welcome.

When I first started collecting SRB stuff there were more around but over the years they have become increasingly hard to find. Definitely one of the harder to find hop up parts. I don’t own one myself as I couldn’t justify paying the asking prices, although I have a fair bit of rare stuff I’ve managed to buy it at, what I consider, a reasonable price, this obviously takes some time and a degree of luck. The diff’s rarely show up nowadays in the usual places eBay etc. so you have to look further afield, small hobby shops etc. Good luck with finding one, when you find a hobby shop that has 2 in stock give me a shout 😆