Sign in to follow this  
Nicadraus

GoolRC BL ESC & motor

I'm looking for a cheap set for my CC01 will be used for both rally and crawler set ups. I want a waterproof type of brushless esc and motor. I saw a couple of GoolRC combos and they are cheap! Ranging from $30 - 50.

Has anyone tried this? Would you guys recommend 45A with 3000KV or 60A with 3900 KV?

Thanks! :)

51db6qbTQGL._SX425_.jpg

I thought it's a rather popular setup.  I'd go with the 60A ESC.  

13.5t is about the limit of 60A ESC.  And 13.5t is often translated into 2800kv to 3300kv.  Which means 60A would bottle-neck at around 3300kv.  However, this set uses a fan.  That reduces the overheating.  Which is why you see 60A ESC mated with 3600kv or 3900kv.  

I don't know if you can get the full potential out of the 3900kv motor.  But even if you don't get the full RPM, 3900kv motor would have thicker wires and thus greater torque at the lower end. (not that you'd need more torque--even a 380 sized brushless would have more torque than a 540 brushed motor)  Personally, I feel that 60A ESC with a 3300-3500kv or so is a safer and more reliable option.  But if you don't see that option, then 60A with 3900kv.  (I've also seen a 60A ESC with 4500kv or 5000kv. I doubt that you can make full use of a 9.5t or 8.5t equivalent motor with a mere 60A ESC)  

(Note:  Please check the size of the motor and the shaft.  That motor looks like 550 sized (3660) with a 5mm shaft.  It doesn't work with pinions we are used to. The holes on pinion gears are 3.18mm.  For the sake of simplicity, I'd look for a 3650 sized motor.)  

I got the 3900 Kv and 60A as a spare for my Himoto (B4 clone). Super easy to set up. Hard to beat from a value perspective. Haven't used it enough to determine longevity.

I'd recommend the 3900/60A option, not sure how accurate the ratings are on cheap gear. 

6 hours ago, Juggular said:

I thought it's a rather popular setup.  I'd go with the 60A ESC.  

13.5t is about the limit of 60A ESC.  And 13.5t is often translated into 2800kv to 3300kv.  Which means 60A would bottle-neck at around 3300kv.  However, this set uses a fan.  That reduces the overheating.  Which is why you see 60A ESC mated with 3600kv or 3900kv.  

I don't know if you can get the full potential out of the 3900kv motor.  But even if you don't get the full RPM, 3900kv motor would have thicker wires and thus greater torque at the lower end. (not that you'd need more torque--even a 380 sized brushless would have more torque than a 540 brushed motor)  Personally, I feel that 60A ESC with a 3300-3500kv or so is a safer and more reliable option.  But if you don't see that option, then 60A with 3900kv.  (I've also seen a 60A ESC with 4500kv or 5000kv. I doubt that you can make full use of a 9.5t or 8.5t equivalent motor with a mere 60A ESC)  

(Note:  Please check the size of the motor and the shaft.  That motor looks like 550 sized (3660) with a 5mm shaft.  It doesn't work with pinions we are used to. The holes on pinion gears are 3.18mm.  For the sake of simplicity, I'd look for a 3650 sized motor.)  

Thanks for the info. Will definitely check the motor size first. Although I'd use this for crawling and not-so-fast rallying, so I guess an equivalent to 23t is quite enough.

5 hours ago, LeftyAl said:

I got the 3900 Kv and 60A as a spare for my Himoto (B4 clone). Super easy to set up. Hard to beat from a value perspective. Haven't used it enough to determine longevity.

I'd recommend the 3900/60A option, not sure how accurate the ratings are on cheap gear. 

Nice to know that. Thanks. Now I'm convinced even more.

By the way, what size is the motor?

The shaft diameter says it's 3.175mm.

Specs here:

Features:
4 pole 12 slot high-torque motor design
3.175mm shaft diameter
High purity copper windings maximizes efficiency
Precision engineered for maximum energy conversion
Precision balanced rotor,smoothness for best reliability and maximum RPM
Mutiple protection features: Low voltage cut-off protection, over-heat protection, throttle signal loss protection
Bulit-in 5.8V/3A BEC
Suit for 1/10 scale RC car

Motor Specifications:
Brand name: GoolRC
Watts: 900W
Max voltage: <13V
Max Amps: 69A
KV(RPM/Volt): 3900KV
Max RPM: 50000
Diameter: 36mm
Length: 50mm
Shaft length: 15mm
Shaft diameter: 3.175mm
Plug type: 4mm golden banana plug

ESC Specifications:
Brand name: GoolRC
Item name: waterproof ESC
Continue current: 60A
Burst current: 320A
Battery: 2-3S Li-Po / 4-9S Ni-Mh Ni-Cd
BEC output: 5.8V / 3A
Power supply plugs: T plug male
Motor plugs: 4mm banana plug female
Dimension: 50 * 35 * 34mm / 2.0 * 1.4 * 1.3in (without cables)

You say it is for crawling? Presumably you mean slow speed driving over rough obstacles? For such driving, good throttle control at low speeds is highly beneficial. Good throttle control at low speeds is an area in which budget sensorless motors do not excel. You may be better served with a sensored brushless setup or a traditional brushed set up.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

By the way, what size is the motor?

Its a 3650.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 11:01 PM, TurnipJF said:

You say it is for crawling? Presumably you mean slow speed driving over rough obstacles? For such driving, good throttle control at low speeds is highly beneficial. Good throttle control at low speeds is an area in which budget sensorless motors do not excel. You may be better served with a sensored brushless setup or a traditional brushed set up.

Yes crawling and rally at the same time. We have some local rally races with 1/10 SUVs here. So I would also like to try that. Installing a slow motor would really put me in the last place. Hahaha!

But seriously, I'd also like to try crawling. Basically, this kit will be used mostly for bashing and driving around almost anywhere I can.