Re-Bugged

Show me your favourite Beach runner please. (Any Brand)

On 3/20/2019 at 11:10 PM, wilsonian said:

After running on a beach is it a complete strip down to make sure you get no saltwater in the electronics or sand in the gears?

I have 10 cars that I run on the beach, some cars have 70 or 80 runs on them without strip them  and they are fine, even the  bearings are stil smooth, when I come home from the beach I clean them with brushes and dry them with a hear dryer thats all that I do.

I don't  get it why people strip down the whole car all the time after a few runs, with tapping screws the plastics holes after some time get worn out, I only strip my cars when they need new parts .

I not have a favorite, it depends on my mood what I drive.

95% off the time I run on the beach, the beach is a 10 minutes  drive for me.

• Like 3

On 3/21/2019 at 5:26 PM, Thommo said:

Fitting the electrics with velcro (hook & loop) might be a good idea for beach runners so you can more easily remove the ESC & RX before a fresh water bath.

PS:  This thread could do with some of those magic @berman photos on NZ beaches..... berman, just saying !

Haha thanks mate!

I havent been to the beach in a long time unfortunately. I used to be 5 minutes from my favourite spot and now I have moved a bit further up the coast, still a few minutes from the beach but it isnt as nice as the one I would regularly take pics at.

My favourites at the beach would be the lunchbox, wild one, sand scorcher and the blitzer beetle. There could be more but I didnt try a lot of RC's at the beach. The sand does wear them out. My lunchbox has had numerous engines (stock, torque tuned, sport tuned, 3300kv, 4000kv etc) and every single part is flogged out on it, to the point where it is not really cost effective to replace any parts, because with how cheap the kit is, you might as well just buy another. B)

Most of my pics were on pbucket or my pc harddrive, neither which is in use atm.

KDklOyJ.jpg

SnxD0xR.jpg

DiWyECm.jpg

No6UV9J.jpg

KUAEjdG.jpg

1rRvP9T.jpg

ilrictD.jpg

• Like 17

On 3/20/2019 at 7:53 PM, 78Triumph said:

Blitzer Beetle is the only one I've take to the beach, and I'd love to get some paddle tires for the rear.  It has a tendency to hold sand in the chassis tub so a cover of some sort would help too.

Surfs up!

43983853722_5d921bd1af_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

Untitled by Joe, on Flickr

Nice weathered paint job. Did you paint the outside? as it must be a bit tricky working sort of back to front from the inside otherwise.

I did take my Stadium Blitzer for a blast on the beach once, but has mainly been in the bush and like you say the tub fills with dirt/sand. I cut some card and taped it to the edges of the chassis to extend them upwards which helps a lot. But maybe a Sand Viper body or something similar would be better as @Biz73 has done.

I did also came across these   https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Shipping-2pcs-RC-2-2-Paddle-Tires-Sand-Snow-Tyre-94mm-Fit-RPM-2-2-Truck-Wheel-/282835966136

which look as though they may fit the Blitzer rear wheels?

• Like 1

Sweet Rock Rey you have @moffman 

I'm thinking that vehicle's that have the wheels poking out the bodywork are best suited to sand duties. 

On 3/20/2019 at 8:07 PM, MadInventor said:

Not in your list but I use a Clod Buster. Haven't done anything special to it for beach use, just keep it out of the water and give a clean every 5 years or so :)

Clods have crossed my mind, but I'd have to build it outside as it probably won't fit through the front door once its finished. 

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2019 at 2:09 AM, Wooders28 said:

Dt03, 4300kv (if i remember right) - 3s lipo.

2018-07-21_02-08-34 2018-07-21_02-10-32

The soft sand really sucks the energy out of the motor, think I'm going to go for something a bit livelier this year.

I remember seeing this a while back now. Love it.

A DT03 might be a future project with something like a Proline Rat Rod body on.

So you can fit a 3s in a DT03 then? 

On 3/21/2019 at 12:45 PM, Shodog said:

I have three runners I take to beach. First is my Rough Rider.  Slightly overpowered with twin rooster tails

197DA27E-4C7B-4449-86AA-61EDE458BC90_zps

4862E320-904D-4CA2-B383-16C7E0ACBA6C_zps

My Traxxas UDR is a recent addition to my collection. It’s incredibly fast and makes beach running super fun. 

0283F10D-313C-4A87-ADFD-7547596AAB02_zps

Tough as nails that Rough Rider. Looks great fun in a video I've seen of it. Just can't bring myself to Bash my current Buggy Champ body as it turned out better than I expected so will get a spare to use as a runner.

That UDR is the ultimate Beach basher, I mean, just look at it go!!!!

• Like 1

On 3/21/2019 at 2:26 PM, Thommo said:

Fitting the electrics with velcro (hook & loop) might be a good idea for beach runners so you can more easily remove the ESC & RX before a fresh water bath.

PS:  This thread could do with some of those magic @berman photos on NZ beaches..... berman, just saying !

Two excellent suggestions ;)

@berman Thats a trip worth taking to the Beach :)

On 3/21/2019 at 12:53 PM, speedy_w_beans said:

After trying a Lunch Box and Grasshopper, a Mad Bull with a 3500kV brushless setup turned out to be my favorite.  The ground clearance and big tires helped it get over rough areas, and it could power slide very nicely on hard packed wet sand.  I didn't do anything special to protect the electronics; the only time it died was when I accidentally turned in the wrong direction and sent it into the ocean.  I pulled all the electronics out of their cases, rinsed them under tap water, and let them air dry.  Everything was good to go again the next day.

IMG_0657.JPG

Never thought of one of these. Big wheels are well suited to the terrain I mostly run on. There's some great vid's of them on Youtube, one of those underrated achiever's I guess.

• Like 1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Proline-XTM-Compound-Sand-Paw-2-0-2-2-Paddle-Tires-for-1-10-Trucks-1052-01/350947286216?epid=710146026&hash=item51b6169cc8:g:jxQAAMXQTgZQ~~66

These are Pro Line Sand Paws that I'm going to put on the rear of my Blitzer as soon as beach weather gets here.  There's a fellow member here who had a long thread about his Blitzer Beetle build that he took to the beach all the time.  I'll try to dig up the link if I can. It's what inspired me to use my Blitzer Beetle as a beach runner.

Here it is:

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/78806-blitzer-beetle-rebuild-ongoing-runner-project/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Sweet Rock Rey you have @moffman 

I'm thinking that vehicle's that have the wheels poking out the bodywork are best suited to sand duties. 

I've never taken on the sand just over the local park (it's big enough to hideaway in the corner so you don't get disturbed) when I got it last July I don't tend to go bashing in the winter so I haven't used it for a while😕 just hopped it up (freqeskinz, prolines, alloy bits etc) but it runs on 3s and on grass and muck its awesome! Borderline insane😁

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

A DT03 might be a future project with something like a Proline Rat Rod body on.

Now that sounds like a project! 👍

13 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

So you can fit a 3s in a DT03 then?

Yeah, all my 3s lipos fit, a couple of softcases from hobbyking and the hardcase Orion rocketsport.

I recon you can get 4s in there (plan for this year 🤔), tried 2,x 2s super shortys for fitment in a boomerang (for speed run duties) and just fits 🙄😃

2019-03-23_10-12-41

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

For sand, I recommend ribbed front tires.  They grip well and are able to hold a line...  They are getting hard to find...

http://www.rcmart.com/4460-truck-front-tire-p-16288.html

Terry

They aren't full ribs but Schumacher truck size Stagger  Ribs are still easily available. If you are on 2wd buggy wheels, the stock tamiya Racing Fighter comes with really deep rib fronts. They are completely useless on most surfaces but on sand they would be great. Part number is 9805552

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

They aren't full ribs but Schumacher truck size Stagger  Ribs are still easily available. If you are on 2wd buggy wheels, the stock tamiya Racing Fighter comes with really deep rib fronts. They are completely useless on most surfaces but on sand they would be great. Part number is 9805552

Wont do the job on a lunchbox. What about front dt01 grasshopper uprights and narrow tires?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Now that sounds like a project! 👍

Yeah, all my 3s lipos fit, a couple of softcases from hobbyking and the hardcase Orion rocketsport.

I recon you can get 4s in there (plan for this year 🤔), tried 2,x 2s super shortys for fitment in a boomerang (for speed run duties) and just fits 🙄😃

2019-03-23_10-12-41

That's definitely one used buggy👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Wont do the job on a lunchbox. What about front dt01 grasshopper uprights and narrow tires?

Just regular grasshopper /Hornet uprights would do it. Or put 12mm hex on the rear and get some blitzer or aqroshot wheels so you can mount 2.2 truck tyres. Or mad bull wheels if you want to keep the lunchbox look. They are 2.2

On 3/21/2019 at 2:53 AM, speedy_w_beans said:

After trying a Lunch Box and Grasshopper, a Mad Bull with a 3500kV brushless setup turned out to be my favorite.  The ground clearance and big tires helped it get over rough areas, and it could power slide very nicely on hard packed wet sand.  I didn't do anything special to protect the electronics; the only time it died was when I accidentally turned in the wrong direction and sent it into the ocean.  I pulled all the electronics out of their cases, rinsed them under tap water, and let them air dry.  Everything was good to go again the next day.

IMG_0657.JPG

NEVER had I thought off the Dolls head till I seen this. I just added one to my daughters PINK Madbull basher she was in excited giggles when I showed her this pic and off she went to find a victim I could take the head off to add. 

She is now busting to get out with it so I see a family afternoon of RC bashing.

Hope you don't mind me copying the idea.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Just regular grasshopper /Hornet uprights would do it. Or put 12mm hex on the rear and get some blitzer or aqroshot wheels so you can mount 2.2 truck tyres. Or mad bull wheels if you want to keep the lunchbox look. They are 2.2

That is a great suggestion, but, I also have been thinking about buying a blitzer or stadium truck, sonfitting those nice looking rims to a lunchbox would be great! so with such an mod I could fit those  tires to a lunchbox?

24 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

That is a great suggestion, but, I also have been thinking about buying a blitzer or stadium truck, sonfitting those nice looking rims to a lunchbox would be great! so with such an mod I could fit those  tires to a lunchbox?

Yes. Front blitzer style wheels go straight on lunchbox front uprights. I think you just need to swap the rear wheel mount for a 12mm hex and the rears go on too. 

• Thanks 1