Re-Bugged

Show me your favourite Beach runner please. (Any Brand)

Having not long ago taken 3 cars out for a run made for a much more enjoyable time, it got me thinking something else would be nice to take along for a Beach run to use alongside my Sand Scorcher that is the only one I have for that kind of shenanigans at the moment.

I really enjoy the SS as it, even though its only on a Silver can as I don't want to kill it. So something else that could handle something like a 13.5t or even a 10.5t brushless with Lipo would be great as to leave the NiMH in the SS.

My Stadium Blitzer rolling chassis is in the line for a Brushless / Lipo upgrade maybe some Paddle Tyres on this would be fun?

I like the idea of a Subaru Brat and plenty seem to find their way onto sand. This will need a little gearbox work for reliability and Uni Joint drive shafts?

My other thought for a sandy onslaught was a Wild One as I think they are more ready to go out the box and handle brushless well. Especially after seeing the FAV/Scorcher having a ball on the beach built by a TC member. Do SS wheels and tyres fit straight on? And I'm also not sure if my Hardcase Lipo will fit in one. My Lipo measures 138x46x25 with (wires out the Top).

Other options are Fighter Buggy (DT 03), Grasshopper Hornet or similar as they can be had for fairly cheap.

So what's your favourite weapon of choice for the beach, and what did you do to help it cope with the sand?

Tdg43BC.jpg

• Like 10

Blitzer Beetle is the only one I've take to the beach, and I'd love to get some paddle tires for the rear.  It has a tendency to hold sand in the chassis tub so a cover of some sort would help too.

Surfs up!

43983853722_5d921bd1af_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

43079248305_bf89422e1b_c.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

• Like 10

I don't have a beach anywhere near me:unsure: but I will one day do the long drive to the perfect beach (wherever that may be) and my perfect choice has to be my rock rey👍yes its technically a rock racer but OMG its going to be awesome on a beach with 3s lipo! Nothing stops it😁😁

20190209_130846.jpg

• Like 7

Not in your list but I use a Clod Buster. Haven't done anything special to it for beach use, just keep it out of the water and give a clean every 5 years or so :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

If you can find them, Pro Line Sand Paws are the tire of choice IMO...  

My Bushy D has done very well at the Outer Banks with those...  

Terry

• Like 2

If I'm feeling stressed, I close my eyes and imagine Wild Willy 2 on the beach....and then I'm calm again !

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I got a DT-02 Holiday Buggy to run next to my Sand Scorcher. I cut down a Sand Viper body to use as a chassis cover to keep out most of the sand. I got bearings and oil dampers, but the stock pogo dampers and plastic bushings would probably handle sand better. I bought some paddle tires too. It looks old school, but it can handle modern power and 12mm hex wheels so you have many options.

• Like 3

Dt03, 4300kv (if i remember right) - 3s lipo.

2018-07-21_02-08-34 2018-07-21_02-10-32

The soft sand really sucks the energy out of the motor, think I'm going to go for something a bit livelier this year.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Dt03, 4300kv (if i remember right) - 3s lipo.

2018-07-21_02-08-34

The soft sand really sucks the energy out of the motor, think I'm going to go for something a bit livelier this year.

That is the most kick *** body!  More pics please.

1 hour ago, tamiya_1971 said:

Some pics on here :- 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thommo said:

If I'm feeling stressed, I close my eyes and imagine Wild Willy 2 on the beach....and then I'm calm again !

I can't tell you how glad I am to hear I'm not the only one who does this. When I was 12 it was the Monster Beetle. Now I've gradually made the lateral move to just picturing solutions to the RC projects I'm stuck on. Instantly takes me away from any stressful situation B)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tamiya_1971 said:

All paint, no decals, (didn't quite turn out as planned, but hey! 🙄)

2018-04-28_04-44-57

• Like 2

Up to now I have run my Blitzer Beetle and my modified Sand Rover on the beach in Denmark. The brushed powered Sand Rover is rather slow and have more scale appearance and driving at the beach is very relaxed. The Blitzer Beetle is brushless powered and a lot of fun to drive. For me driving at the beach is the best part of RC driving. 

dIf4NE7QWQaOLM1U0MEp0k5GKvu7lit6S7hNsQyv

TjCaI1Vo4FYqREFgxk9StriaeAOidzrM3eIpNJ_W

3pSp08PxpoDjyrupoQ6d14bsuBqKUhhGxDJ-cVMX

v2XAt9aEpUPnyh5mUhGDQOLyKj5JCDh4Y7XnrZ1H

• Like 11

After running on a beach is it a complete strip down to make sure you get no saltwater in the electronics or sand in the gears?

25 minutes ago, wilsonian said:

After running on a beach is it a complete strip down to make sure you get no saltwater in the electronics or sand in the gears?

I accidentally drove my Blitzer Beetle to close to the edge of the water and a wave nailed it.  It was completely submerged in salt water.  I went home took, the battery out (i had already waterproofed the servo and ESC) and literally rinsed the entire thing off in the shower.  No damage to anything and a little squirt of wd-40 on the exposed hardware keeps the rust away!  :)

• Like 1

I always say Lunch Box when this topic comes up. The drivetrain is simple, durable and well-sealed. Its mostly plastic thus, aside from hardware, no corrosion issues. The suspension is simplistic so there are fewer pivot points to worry about wear being an issue. The electronics are housed high up in a tub chassis which affords good protection. The big tires cope well with sand.

• Like 3

I have three runners I take to beach. First is my Rough Rider.  Slightly overpowered with twin rooster tails

197DA27E-4C7B-4449-86AA-61EDE458BC90_zps

4862E320-904D-4CA2-B383-16C7E0ACBA6C_zps

Next is my Traxxas TRX 4.  It just mobs on the beach and will even run better when I drop a mamba X brushless system in it

91068795-63AB-44CD-AB71-0D57F9AE229A_zps

A53252BD-2D3E-4F02-9B93-283E2A97FBBB_zps

My Traxxas UDR is a recent addition to my collection. It’s incredibly fast and makes beach running super fun. 

8358506C-2DFC-4CA5-A4F6-F61E439DE2EE_zps

0283F10D-313C-4A87-ADFD-7547596AAB02_zps

• Like 9

After trying a Lunch Box and Grasshopper, a Mad Bull with a 3500kV brushless setup turned out to be my favorite.  The ground clearance and big tires helped it get over rough areas, and it could power slide very nicely on hard packed wet sand.  I didn't do anything special to protect the electronics; the only time it died was when I accidentally turned in the wrong direction and sent it into the ocean.  I pulled all the electronics out of their cases, rinsed them under tap water, and let them air dry.  Everything was good to go again the next day.

IMG_0657.JPG

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

I accidentally drove my Blitzer Beetle to close to the edge of the water and a wave nailed it.  It was completely submerged in salt water.  I went home took, the battery out (i had already waterproofed the servo and ESC) and literally rinsed the entire thing off in the shower.  No damage to anything and a little squirt of wd-40 on the exposed hardware keeps the rust away!  :)

I've driven the Bushy D in water no problems...  I just take the battery out and give it a good rinse in outdoor shower - probably just like you...  

I'm not a fan of WD-40, I use 3-in-1 oil... 

Terry  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Mad Bull with a 3500kV brushless setup turned out to be my favorite.

Let me guess???  Outer Banks???  Great place to drive...

Cheers for Raleighwood!

Terry

57 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

Let me guess???  Outer Banks???  Great place to drive...

Cheers for Raleighwood!

Terry

Surf City / Topsail!

• Like 1

Fitting the electrics with velcro (hook & loop) might be a good idea for beach runners so you can more easily remove the ESC & RX before a fresh water bath.

PS:  This thread could do with some of those magic @berman photos on NZ beaches..... berman, just saying !

• Like 2

22 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

I accidentally drove my Blitzer Beetle to close to the edge of the water and a wave nailed it.  It was completely submerged in salt water.

Have done the same with my Blitzer Beetle. Unfortunately it was on the first ride during the holidays and the receiver was scraped and no replacement in the spare part box. Since then I stay a few meters away from the water.

22 hours ago, wilsonian said:

I'm always surprised how much sand is in a RC car when you strip it down back at home although it was cleaned directly after driving.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2019 at 5:07 AM, MadInventor said:

Not in your list but I use a Clod Buster. Haven't done anything special to it for beach use, just keep it out of the water and give a clean every 5 years or so :)

Could not agree more B) Our beaches here are the real loose/loamy/super fine sand, the kind that is hard to walk on. My Blazing Blazer does OK, but requires it to be in Low/4x4 gear. Other small tire cars instantly get stuck in the loose sand. The Clod Buster just goes through it all, will not get stuck. The axles/motors never seem to get sand in them, either. I made  the mistake of greasing the friction shocks, and during the first outing at the beach, the shocks all locked up :o Next outings, grease free shocks, no problems. I sold my Clod Buster, but I have a NIB re-release Bullhead to take its place :D

• Like 1

I need paddle tires for my lunchbox. Any recommendations? :)

maybe front comical grasshopper tires and rear paddle? 

• Like 4