Sign in to follow this  
wilsonian

Ride height question for a TT02

I'm trying to decide if I should get another TT01 chassis or go for the TT02. I already have a TT01 with the DIY rally mod to give it greater ground clearance. I intend on using the new chassis in the same way - general bashing around. This chassis isn't a replacement for my current tt01 - just another car for the collection.

So question time - whats the highest ground clearance for TT02 chassis?

Thanks

If you plan on using it in the same way as your TT-01, you might be disappointed. I have run my rally-modded TT-01 against rally-configured TT-02s and found it superior. The '02 can be set up more easily for extra ground clearance, but once this is done, all else being equal it seems to be less stable and more prone to rolling than the '01. I could out-corner the '02s quite easily.

• Thanks 1

So you think I should get another tt01. Interesting. I did enjoy doing the rally mod on it but that was because I felt it was breathing life into an old chassis.

The stick TT02 can be set to rally and it’s around 20mm. It’s not bad but a bit basic.

The TT02S is quite different and it is a surprisingly good rally car, you just need longer shocks. Check out the RCRally group on fb. 

However if you really want rally, just pay the little extra and get the XV01. It’s hands down the best 1/10 rally chassis out there. They can be picked up for a great price and work out cheaper than modding a TT02 / TT01 with the needed parts (shocks, bearings etc) although a TT02S has oil shocks and bearings already.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, wilsonian said:

So you think I should get another tt01. Interesting. I did enjoy doing the rally mod on it but that was because I felt it was breathing life into an old chassis.

The TT-01 and TT-02 are very similar in most respects. The parts are different, but the design principles are virtually identical. If you want something different to diversify your collection, you might want to move away from the TT range entirely.

The XV-01 does seem to be a good option, or if you fancy something that is more focused on on-road performance, one of the TB range would also do nicely. Both are significantly higher spec than the TTs, and would give you a different kind of build experience, as well as more options when it comes to set-up.

Don't get me wrong, I am very fond of my TT-01s - I have three of them. However my TB-03 and FF-03 cars are in a completely different league.

• Thanks 1

I already have a TB01 and enjoy the chassis. Main reason for asking about the tt range was their chassis are easy to come by on eBay or sale posts.

A xv01 chassis might be a good idea if I don't need to mod them. Tt units tend to add up once you get oil shocks, improved steering etc etc.

As mentioned, get the XV01 and your bashing/rally car need is solved. Also as mentioned, change the shocks and install bearings. You can do mods on it slowly so it would be costly. Or use aftermarket parts to lower the cost. 

about 20mm at full droop and about 15mm settled ride height. With longer shocks and mods (universal driveshafts, trim some plastic here and there) you can get closer to 30mm full droop and 20-25mm settled.

• Thanks 1