Bromley

Help choosing a new, larger build.

I need help....

Currently my fleet consists of DT-03 Racing Fighter, CC-01 Defender, TT-01 (race truck), TT-02 (Race car), TT-02T, VLB, and Blitzer Beetle.

The Blitzer has been a bit of a shelf queen so far but all of the others get run regularly. The CC-01 is probably my favourite to run and modify, DT03 is my favourite Tarmac car, TT-02T is my favourite basher and VLB is the one I wanted as a kid.

Now I'm after something completely different, a bigger, more interesting build, something I can run without fear of ruining it and most importantly has to be fun to drive.

The short list so far is:

CR-01 rock socker

F350 High Lift

TXT-2 Agrios

I have concerns about all of these though. I enjoy the scale nature of my CC01 and the challenging driving when things get tough, I wonder if the CR-01 will make life too easy? Looks tough and an interesting build.

The F350, is it going to perform off road and will it take the punishment of light crawling/tough trail running? Will it be any better than my CC-01? I do like the idea off the 3 spd.

The TXT-2, this is a really odd choice for me as all of my cars have been bought with a purpose in mind, some off them have evolved with time, however all fulfil there current roll. I just wonder how much use the TXT-2 would get and will running it get old quickly? The looks are awesome and the build looks fun. I admired the Clod Buster as a Kid, but the allure has worn off.

Bruiser and Mountain Rider aren't on the list due to my reluctance for running such an expensive truck. I'd be scared to scratch the thing!

Any suggestions are appreciated.

• Like 1

Great list, I think you'd enjoy any of them.  My opinion on each:

CR01 - Very fun build and very capable truck.  I take mine out on the trails quite often and it is leaps and bounds more capable than a CC01, but still offers some challenge.  When driven properly it will keep up with any of the mainstream crawlers (SCX10/TRX4/Ascender, etc).  The 2.2 tires help and you can always throw some 1.9s on it for more of a challenge.

TXT-2 - One of my absolute favorites, have quite a few of them.  I also think everyone should own at least one Tamiya monster.  I would definitely swap wheels/body immediately as I have with mine, but other than that does not need any major upgrades to be a very fun truck.

F350 - I don't have one of these, but do have a Bruiser and always though they were a bit similar as far as capability.  Very cool truck with the three speed, but not an incredible capable or useful truck.  Definitely looks like a fun build though and the hard body is nice.  I would think off road capability would be in line with the CC01 even though they accomplish the task in very different ways.

If I had to choose just one it would depend on where and how I decided to run it.  If you're doing slower off road trail.crawling type activities I'd go CR01 hands down.  If you have some open space and want a versatile truck I'd go TXT-2.  If it were me I'd buy all three.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I sympathise.

Starting from a TL01 and then on to M chassis, my next 'challenge' was an XV-01T which I really enjoyed building with a few hop ups (body still to finish so not yet run).

So now in the build queue are two (not sure how I ended up with two) CR-01 and a TXT-2.

So, how about you just pick one you can do first?!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't have any experience of any of these, but I thought I would throw in a suggestion? AMPRO do a high lift transmission lift kit. Its on one of @Pintopower YouTube videos. This added to the F350 would give another dimension of build plus increasing off road ability.

That said all of the options sound like a hoot. Looking forward to the build thread 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bromley said:

I have concerns about all of these though. I enjoy the scale nature of my CC01 and the challenging driving when things get tough, I wonder if the CR-01 will make life too easy? Looks tough and an interesting build.

The F350, is it going to perform off road and will it take the punishment of light crawling/tough trail running? Will it be any better than my CC-01? I do like the idea off the 3 spd.

Many many years back, I hit the trails with these two vehicles. The CR01, while far from a perfect crawler, will certainly be less of a challenge to navigate over the CC01 or F350 High Lift. That said, you could tackle more extreme terrain with it perhaps. I personally had more fun with the "limitations" of the F350 that day (though it seemed better than my CC01, (granted, I was running 2.2 wheels/tires). 

If I had to go for one, I'd take the TXT-2 though. Its a good build for sure and can be fun and versatile to drive

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

KongHead ? It's a good 6wd base that you adapt to build a 6wd trailer runner from.........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for all of your replies. I think long term they all deserve a place in my collection based on there own merits. But for now I have my CC01, so scale running and mild crawling duties are taken care of. So that leaves the Monster Truck box unchecked. I'm popping into the model shop over the weekend I'll find out if they can get hold of a TXT-2.

12 hours ago, MadInventor said:

KongHead ? It's a good 6wd base that you adapt to build a 6wd trailer runner from.........

Yeah though about that one too, the look of the thing just don't do it for me.

20 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

TXT-2 - One of my absolute favorites, have quite a few of them.  I also think everyone should own at least one Tamiya monster.  I would definitely swap wheels/body immediately as I have with mine, but other than that does not need any major upgrades to be a very fun truck.

This was something I looked into early on. I definitely prefer the older style tyres and wheels, the Agrios Body I quite like. I'd like to see a retro body on it though, in the Bigfoot style maybe. Lexan body for bashing, hard body for posing!

Would a TXT-2 be ok with warm brushed motors, nothing too alarming, maybe a pair of 19t or 21t motors. I've still not been persuaded brushless motors are worth the outlay. I get that they are more efficient, but with a modern 5000 or even 7000 mah lipo pack does it really matter?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bromley said:

Would a TXT-2 be ok with warm brushed motors, nothing too alarming, maybe a pair of 19t or 21t motors. I've still not been persuaded brushless motors are worth the outlay. I get that they are more efficient, but with a modern 5000 or even 7000 mah lipo pack does it really matter?

For my Juggernaut, I installed 2 motors with advanced timing--similar to 23 turn motors. One ESC running two motors had limited my options. They are perfectly fine.  

A brushless motor has a lot more torque.  There are people who install 1 brushless instead of 2 brushed on their TXT-1s.  It would fly around, and yet the battery drain is similar to 2 brushed motors of weaker strength and speed.  I don't want my grandpa Juggernaut to whip around, so no upgrade for me.  But TXT-2 is a much tougher beast.  Brushless is something to think about.  My Konghead has a 3300kv brushless. This one motor does a lot better than 2 motors on the Juggernaut. (Of course, I'm comparing apples and oranges...)

I've come to think TXT-2 + CR01 = Dynahead.  

• Thanks 1

CR01 was a fun build also. The RockSocker comes with the upgrade barrel springs but without the 12x6 (from memory) bearings on the cantilever shock pivots. You'll need 8. Was my favorite runner until I built the Agrios. Silver cans on a 3s are plenty quick and you won't break anything. My vids were all with 3s and silver cans. 

CR01 is slower but serves a different purpose, crawling. Sounds like a cordless drill because of the planetary gearbox.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bromley said:

Many thanks for all of your replies. I think long term they all deserve a place in my collection based on there own merits. But for now I have my CC01, so scale running and mild crawling duties are taken care of. So that leaves the Monster Truck box unchecked. I'm popping into the model shop over the weekend I'll find out if they can get hold of a TXT-2.

Yeah though about that one too, the look of the thing just don't do it for me.

This was something I looked into early on. I definitely prefer the older style tyres and wheels, the Agrios Body I quite like. I'd like to see a retro body on it though, in the Bigfoot style maybe. Lexan body for bashing, hard body for posing!

The TXT-2 seems expensive in the UK. Tamico have it on sale which makes it far more reasonable than some of the prices I have seen.

I was pleased when I bought it though I have never liked the box art. I'm more excited, however, since I learned in a thread on here that the body is that of Bigfoot 18 - holder of the world record for the longest monster truck jump! Now, if only there was a decal set...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

The TXT-2 seems expensive in the UK. Tamico have it on sale which makes it far more reasonable than some of the prices I have seen.

I was pleased when I bought it though I have never liked the box art. I'm more excited, however, since I learned in a thread on here that the body is that of Bigfoot 18 - holder of the world record for the longest monster truck jump! Now, if only there was a decal set...

There is a decal set. MCI Decals have it on file, they just can't advertise it as the Bigfoot brand do pursue any retailed non-licensed BF products.

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Prescient said:

There is a decal set. MCI Decals have it on file, they just can't advertise it as the Bigfoot brand do pursue any retailed non-licensed BF products.

Thanks, that's really good to know. I was going to contact MCI in that hope but was in no rush - got this booked in for a week in the summer with my son. 

• Thanks 1

I've owned a High Lift Hilux, and replaced it with a CC01.

The HL is a mechanical marvel. The 3-speed is a lot of fun to build and adjust to work correctly (hint, the manual is correct, but you do need a LOT MORE spacers and patience than the manual indicates.). Once the truck was all together and lit up like a Christmas tree with the optional MFC02 sound module I found that actually running it was a bit...underwhelming.

It's a heavy truck, and all the weight is up high. This means it'll tip over easily. Also, the silver can kinda struggles to get it moving in third, so you do need to shift in order to get it working well. It's leaf-sprung so it's never going to have amazing flex. About the height of the lid on a Tamiya rattle can is the best it could muster up, and that was after a few years of running to break in the leafs.

Then there's the looks. Yes, the hard bodies are really nice and scale-looking. However, they sit perched up high on a chassis that sticks out from all sides. The axles are too wide for the wheel wells (at least on the Hilux) and the whole thing looks a bit kit-bashed. It's too high and tall for a stock-truck look, but it's too low for a monster/mud bog look. Also, the transmission hangs down VERY low in the chassis. In fact, my stock CC01 Pajero has more ground clearance than the High Lift.

All those factors combined made my HL more of a shelfer than anything else. Whereas my CC01 logs up a LOT of miles. (It's my walking buddy. Like a dog, but RC :P )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, geniusanthony said:

Silver cans on a 3s are plenty quick and you won't break anything. My vids were all with 3s and silver cans. 

This sounds interesting, do both motors see the full 11.1v or is it somehow less? Are they likely to burn out with all that juice? Can you use the kit ESC to achieve this?

Lots more questions to come...

No kit esc included. The Hobbywing 860 is twin brushed motor lipo safe and affordable. I'm sure the longetivity of the kit motors is reduced but then who doesn't have a bucket of unused 540s kicking around.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, geniusanthony said:

I'm sure the longetivity of the kit motors is reduced but then who doesn't have a bucket of unused 540s kicking around.

True...

If you get the TXT-2 just run the stock silver cans on 3s and see what you think.  Hotter brushed motors would be a waste in my opinion.  If you need more power that silver cans on 3s go with a brushless system.  I run a 1/8 Castle system (2200kv) in one of my TXTs and its awesome, so much torque and doesn't even get warm when running hard.  

As far as the Agrios body, I did my original in the Bigfoot 18 theme with decals from MCI and it looks OK, I just prefer the pickup bodies.

IMG_0818.JPG

IMG_5104.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

IMG_1302.JPG

• Like 5

87lc2, I love that F350 body in the last picture. What make is the body?

It looks to be lexan rather than the Tamiya abs version. I could really live with that.

Edit....Just did some googling...is it the Proline F250 body?

Thanks!  The last two F-250 bodies are indeed lexan and readily available from Proline.  I've painted quite a few of them and they fit perfectly on the TXT platform.

This is the version shown in my photos - https://www.prolineracing.com/bodies/2008-ford-f250-clear-body.asp

They also have a newer version with a bit shorter wheelbase - https://www.prolineracing.com/bodies/2008-ford-f-250-clear-body.asp

I don't mind lexan at all.  Hard bodies are obviously nice and have more detail, but real monster trucks basically have lexan bodies anyway (fiberglass).  Besides, they;re a lot easier to paint a a lot more durable if and when you roll the truck.  I typically reserve hard bodies for crawlers that I don't intend on flipping wrong-side-up...

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

I typically reserve hard bodies for crawlers that I don't intend on flipping wrong-side-up...

Yeah... that never quite works out for me...I like to push the limits of my CC01 Defender. If that had a hard body, I dread to think what state it would be in!

I also like the wheels you've used in the last picture, suits the body and chassis well.

I'm tempted to start gathering some bits and pieces for this next build...starting with the F250 body!

I think you'll really enjoy the TXT-2, it's definitely one of my favorites and you can run it virtually anywhere.  I'd start with the stock electronics and go from there.  They're not fast out of the box, but in my opinion they really don't need to be.  Really depends on what you're planning on doing with it.

Be sure to post some pictures when you're done, I never get tired of seeing what other people do with them.

• Like 1

Done it!

I tried to order a kit from my LHS, but the UK Tamiya importers don't have the Agrios listed for some reaon? A real shame 'cos I like to spend my money locally. 

In the end got one on sale from Tamico in Germany. 299.00 Euro + 13.90 Euro shipping. Be interesting to see what that equates to in Sterling.

Well that's my Tamiya budget done for a few months! just need to work on the finer details now...like what colour to paint it and what wheel tyre combo to go for...decisions...decisions!

• Like 1

Currently I'm slow building two kits. An FF03 which I have already modified to the spec I want and my late dad's CC01. I really enjoy rebuilding the CC01 as there are so many parts available for it. Both Genuine Tamiya and aftermarket parts. There are so many other things to do with it. Experiment, make different settings, modify, etc.It's not a full pledge crawling kit but it will do a great basher. My FF03 is about 95% complete just waiting for the new RX while the CC01 is still on the process although I have made many changes and upgrades to it already.

The TXT-2 turned up this week!

Oh my...it's a wopper. The kit weighs a ton and the metal parts bag alone weighs more than my TT-02 race car. It's going to be a real beast once assembled.

Slowly gathering ideas and parts. I'm going with the recommendations of you lovely people...

The look is going to be Bigfoot 18 in the blue.

So far we have servos x 2, some homebrewed Bigfoot decals. On order...Hobbywing 880 ESC (the 860s replacement), Bearings and Tamiya PS18 paint.

• Like 5