bjorklo

Kyosho Optima Mid Restoration

KyoshoLogo_zps71f11bdm.png

So I have now done most of the things i mention in my last update. I think the tires are lost in the mail, so I will do them if they ever arrive, if not I do think these hybrid tires do a great job. I also did some changes on the decals so now I’m very happy with how they turned out, so will for sure not get a new body and decals to this one.

First I started with mounting the front swaybar. I had to remove the front bumper and loosen up the suspension arm mount in order to get the swaybar slipped into place.

IMG_20190503_214946_zpsal4lwo2q.jpg
IMG_20190503_215207_zpsflyghi0z.jpg
IMG_20190503_215608_zpsw88ognb0.jpg

For the rear swaybar I had to loosen up the aluminum part that holds the upper arms in order to be able to screw on the mounts. Yeah I know I should have mounted the swaybar during the build, but since this is not standard for the mid, it was not in the manual, so therefore I kind of forgot about them.

IMG_20190503_214354_zpsztospwif.jpg
IMG_20190503_214812_zpsn5ivysz6.jpg

Since I have electronics in this car I needed to make a hole for the antenna, this luckily was in the manual, so it was not to hard to figure out where it should be.

IMG_20190503_224132_zpsjpnh56az.jpg

In order to get a nice look between the undercolv and the body I mounted velcro.

IMG_20190503_225003_zpsotchx8pb.jpg

So I then started to fix the decals to get em the way I wanted, as close as possible to box art. I also did some detailing with a marker to get the details on the roof and in the front, which was not supplied as decals from mci. I’m not sure if the originals had em either? I could also mention that I have changed the steering servo and remounted the receiver, just a litte more back on the chassis. This is the end result of this project, I will take new ones if the tires ever shows up, but for now enjoy.

IMG_20190503_234535_zps1tau23kv.jpg
IMG_20190503_234556_zpszaz6ni3y.jpg
IMG_20190503_234633_zpsntjqmjzw.jpg
IMG_20190503_234641_zpsaygci7ey.jpg
IMG_20190503_234648_zpsgxernupy.jpg
IMG_20190503_234714_zps4l9wscha.jpg
IMG_20190503_235006_zps4chdlnkx.jpg
IMG_20190503_235021_zpsp828o7h8.jpg
IMG_20190503_235032_zpsslw78heb.jpg
IMG_20190503_235042_zpsoo0qmen0.jpg
IMG_20190503_235101_zpslvaaizyb.jpg
IMG_20190503_235119_zps94yx3udl.jpg
IMG_20190503_235135_zpsgayiz5jv.jpg
IMG_20190503_235152_zpstu2qjz3y.jpg
IMG_20190503_235210_zpsplghce7l.jpg
IMG_20190503_235250_zpswvsrbhg7.jpg
  • Like 13

Beautiful job and yes the tyres look fantastic (Almost as good as OT66’s :D)

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2019 at 10:58 PM, bjorklo said:

I noticed that I was missing one part that is supposed to be between the motor and the alu mount, so if anyone got one spare and would be interested in selling it to me please let me know.

IMG_20190426_153937_zps57oj1fj8.jpg

Nice build @bjorklo !! 

Yeah I've got a spacer.....somewhere , I took it off mine when I swapped over to brushless.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Nice build @bjorklo !! 

Yeah I've got a spacer.....somewhere , I took it off mine when I swapped over to brushless.

Thanks Wooders28. 

If you find it, please let me know. 

• Like 1

KyoshoLogo_zps71f11bdm.png

Here is probably the last post in this thread.
Finally I have got the repro tires made by Marwan. I changed to them and also did the tire lettering white as it fits this car real good.

IMG_20190602_000223_zpsmxj5m3wm.jpg

IMG_20190602_000236_zps69z6z7zk.jpg

IMG_20190602_000251_zps9fdklcyb.jpg

IMG_20190602_000349_zpstoab8ynp.jpg

IMG_20190602_000404_zpslxzhn2s1.jpg

IMG_20190602_000530_zpsdbrprkhx.jpg

I also did a little trimming on the decals. I don’t think this looks any nice

IMG_20190601_235014_zps8atosqfb.jpg

This is how it turned out after I cut out some of the decal.

IMG_20190601_235238_zps7uj8bj54.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi there, just finished reading the entire thread, you did a great job on that Mid, and much of it will prove useful to me during the restore/refurb of my recently acquired Turbo Mid.  Out of interest, how did you attach the TBG undertray?  My car came with a new TBG undertray that I want to paint and fit, but looking at it, is very short at both front and back - too short it seems to tie up with what look to be the 'best' mounting holes in the chassis?  Do you have any pics of the underneath of your car showing this? thanks

Thanks to the bump I just had a nosey through your build. Absolutely lovely.

I had a Mid Custom (well I think it was, it had a graphite chassis and platinum shocks) back in the late 80's, REALLY wish I still had it :( Awesome cars

3 hours ago, thegorf said:

Hi there, just finished reading the entire thread, you did a great job on that Mid, and much of it will prove useful to me during the restore/refurb of my recently acquired Turbo Mid.  Out of interest, how did you attach the TBG undertray?  My car came with a new TBG undertray that I want to paint and fit, but looking at it, is very short at both front and back - too short it seems to tie up with what look to be the 'best' mounting holes in the chassis?  Do you have any pics of the underneath of your car showing this? thanks

Thanks thegorf, glad to hear that i might help you.  
Regarding the undertray I just used some of the screws underneath to mount it. Hope this picture helps. 

20200625155318-30c6931c.jpg

1 hour ago, Krustybus said:

Thanks to the bump I just had a nosey through your build. Absolutely lovely.

I had a Mid Custom (well I think it was, it had a graphite chassis and platinum shocks) back in the late 80's, REALLY wish I still had it :( Awesome cars

Thanks Krustybus.  Yeah I got myself another one, but it also need some TLC

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that image, makes it look fairly straightforward actually!  I don't know why but I had it in my mind that it needed mounting further forward...

13 hours ago, thegorf said:

Thanks for that image, makes it look fairly straightforward actually!  I don't know why but I had it in my mind that it needed mounting further forward...

:) I think i have seen a undercover somewhere that was longer both in front and rear, that covered the whole alu plate. But I might just remember wrong, maybe Penguin rcbodies have these? 

• Like 1

Im so screwed if Kyoshso reres this!!!! Gorgeous! Missed it the first time around and they never show up on evilbay

• Like 2

On 7/8/2020 at 6:54 PM, GTodd said:

Im so screwed if Kyoshso reres this!!!! Gorgeous! Missed it the first time around and they never show up on evilbay

Hehe, yeah me too. Then I just have to get one. 

Sorry for another thread resurrection but I have another question... Just starting to dismantle my rather tired old Optima Mid and noticed that like you I'm missing the little ali motor plate/spacer - OT73.  Did you ever get the one from the other TC member?  If not, are they essential?  Could I get away without using it? Thanks

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thegorf said:

Sorry for another thread resurrection but I have another question... Just starting to dismantle my rather tired old Optima Mid and noticed that like you I'm missing the little ali motor plate/spacer - OT73.  Did you ever get the one from the other TC member?  If not, are they essential?  Could I get away without using it? Thanks

That is no problem, just glad to be able to help. I did never get that plate and the car worked just fine without it. So it's not a must have but a nice to have. 

Thanks! That's good to know as I'm planning on using an old school brushed motor on this, and was afraid I'd have to source one (only seem to be available from the States) at 30+ pounds...!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bartman77 said:

wow few hours spent  there ,,, very nice resto,, came up good 

Thanks.. Yeah it did take some time, and I was very pleased with the result.

Now I need to do it one more time since I sold this one, regret doing so, got another one that need just as much work to it 🤪

2 hours ago, bartman77 said:

the build is the best bit ,,finding parts , Hmmmmm ,,  hope to see more pics 

True true.  I will try to use as many as possible of the existing parts, but body and decals, and tires i must have new. 

Not sure when to do this, got to many projects going on 🤪

Optima Mid was my first hobby grade RC car, and one of my favorite buggies ever.

Your restoration is great. Thank you for sharing. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/2/2021 at 2:46 PM, Dakratfink said:

Optima Mid was my first hobby grade RC car, and one of my favorite buggies ever.

Your restoration is great. Thank you for sharing. 

Thanks, glad to hear that you like it.  Wow, you started with an Optima Mid when you got your first hobby graded RC, that is awesome.. For me it was the Grasshopper :-) 

1 hour ago, bjorklo said:

Thanks, glad to hear that you like it.  Wow, you started with an Optima Mid when you got your first hobby graded RC, that is awesome.. For me it was the Grasshopper :-) 

My first Toy Grade was a Nikko Turbo Panther. When it broke,  and dad couldn’t fix it he started looking at hobby grade kits and he got the Mid “For Him”  but then declared he didn’t have the reflexes and skills to be a driver at the track so the car would be “his” to build , maintain and enjoy as the crew chief and owner of our little race team , with me as the driver. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 4:24 PM, Dakratfink said:

My first Toy Grade was a Nikko Turbo Panther. When it broke,  and dad couldn’t fix it he started looking at hobby grade kits and he got the Mid “For Him”  but then declared he didn’t have the reflexes and skills to be a driver at the track so the car would be “his” to build , maintain and enjoy as the crew chief and owner of our little race team , with me as the driver. 

hehe... you were in luck then :)  cool. 

4 hours ago, bjorklo said:

Very lucky indeed.

Not only  for a brilliant kit ( the Mid ) but for the hours of quality time racing and playing together allowed between me and my dad. 

4 hours ago, bjorklo said:

Very lucky indeed.

Not only  for a brilliant kit ( the Mid ) but for the hours of quality time racing and playing together allowed between me and my dad. 

• Like 1