Scipunk

Scipunk builds a XV-01 Lancia (and learns a lot)

I use 55mm TRF shocks, the shock shafts from 60mm Yeah Racing shocks, and springs from the rally spring set. Shock length is 58mm assembled. Works very well off road and on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Long damper spec just uses the long damper shock towers 54581 and 54582. It uses the stock CVA mini shocks 50519 front and rear and TRF201 springs 54221, although the mini shocks come with a couple of spring options. 

XV01 long damper manual is download able from this page

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/110-4wd-rally-road-xv/rc-xv-01-chassis-kit-2/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Big JonSo quick question, i cannot seem to find those SSD rod spacers anywhere here in the US. Do you have a source?

2 hours ago, Scipunk said:

@Big JonSo quick question, i cannot seem to find those SSD rod spacers anywhere here in the US. Do you have a source?

I remember what I used to replace the nn4 spacer,       http://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-wls0002bks-aluminum-stylish-spinning-rims-4pcs-5vspoke-tire-wfree-holder-touring-cars-p-34526.html?cPath=35_2061_940

I used the flanged aluminum things that holds the spinners, but you have to file those to fit, the nice part of those are that the flanged part cover the hole pin.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dannymulder said:

I remember what I used to replace the nn4 spacer,       http://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-wls0002bks-aluminum-stylish-spinning-rims-4pcs-5vspoke-tire-wfree-holder-touring-cars-p-34526.html?cPath=35_2061_940

I used the flanged aluminum things that holds the spinners, but you have to file those to fit, the nice part of those are that the flanged part cover the hole pin.

Thanks! I'll have a look into those. Do you have any pics of where you filed them?

A couple of points on the chassis. I have a pro version that has become my main car. The upgrades you chose are really good. I think that not all of them are necessary but you have already included the most important ones (slipper clutch, stabilizers, cvds).

An interesting thing about the slipper clutch. You can actually use the tb-03 spur (item 51536). You will actually need an adapter but this already provided with the kit. That is part J6. This will actually allow you to stay close to stock gearing, use 0,6 pinions and still use the slipper.

Another thing about the slipper clutch. When assembling it, put a few shims and flip the bottom spacer around. This will allow you for easier allignment of the nut and reduce the risk of bending the slipper clutch screw.

• Thanks 1

You can get the spacers from RPP or AMain here in the states. They are listed as rod end spacers for SCX10-II.

I use Associated style slipper gears on mine to get 48p and a wide range of ratio options.

1 hour ago, Big Jon said:

You can get the spacers from RPP or AMain here in the states. They are listed as rod end spacers for SCX10-II.

I use Associated style slipper gears on mine to get 48p and a wide range of ratio options.

Sadly both sites list them as out of stock online. I have checked RPP, Amain and RC mart. I put a email request in for RPP but im not sure if they will be back in stock soon,

Sorry, I was trying to attach a pic on my post above but failed. Here is what I meant:307q7vl.jpg

Flip the spacer marked in red.

Interesting - I have been after an XV-01 for some time and just pulled the trigger with Time Tunnel

I've read through and don't think I see an answer for my questions so I will put them here:

I intend to order the following:

54379    Tamiya XV-01 Aluminium Suspension Mount

What are the below for though are they instead of above?
54376    Rc Separate Sus Mounts (1Xj)
54377    Rc Separate Sus Mounts (1Xm)

Also do I need:

54471    TA06 Steel Gear Differential Unit (Rear) (XV-01/FF03R/M07)

or just the below to go in the stock diff housing - front and Rear (I not the above is just for the rear).

54428    RC Steel Bevel Gears

finally I will order these too:

54378    XV-01 Slipper Clutch Set (XV01/XV-01 Pro/XV-01T/XV01T)
54450    18T Aluminum Pulley (for TA06 & XV-01) (XV01/TA-06) - I assume X2 one for each end?
54516    XV-01 Assembly Universal Shaft (Rear/2 Pcs.) (XV01/XV-01T/XV01T) Already have the fronts from a TT-02 Project.

Oh and what thickness are the Hexs 4,5 or 6mm Tamiya list all 3 as options....

59 minutes ago, gizard said:

Interesting - I have been after an XV-01 for some time and just pulled the trigger with Time Tunnel

I've read through and don't think I see an answer for my questions so I will put them here:

I intend to order the following:

54379    Tamiya XV-01 Aluminium Suspension Mount

What are the below for though are they instead of above?

Also do I need:

or just the below to go in the stock diff housing - front and Rear (I not the above is just for the rear).

54428    RC Steel Bevel Gears

finally I will order these too:

54450    18T Aluminum Pulley (for TA06 & XV-01) (XV01/TA-06) - I assume X2 one for each end?
54516    XV-01 Assembly Universal Shaft (Rear/2 Pcs.) (XV01/XV-01T/XV01T) Already have the fronts from a TT-02 Project.

I believe the separate mounts are for replacing specific pieces in the build for the front suspension.

if you are running brushless you will need to upgrade the gears AND the axle shafts (cross shafts in the diff) which are part number 54311 however IF the rear and front diffs are the same then that whole unit has all you need so i would get 2 of those, but wait till someone why knows better can responds on this one.

slipper : yes, Pulleys x2 yes. and the back shafts are optional, the fronts are needed for anything over stock

As far as the hexes i can measure mine once i am back from the track this afternoon for ya. :)'

Hope this helps

6 hours ago, Scipunk said:

I believe the separate mounts are for replacing specific pieces in the build for the front suspension.

if you are running brushless you will need to upgrade the gears AND the axle shafts (cross shafts in the diff) which are part number 54311 however IF the rear and front diffs are the same then that whole unit has all you need so i would get 2 of those, but wait till someone why knows better can responds on this one.

slipper : yes, Pulleys x2 yes. and the back shafts are optional, the fronts are needed for anything over stock

As far as the hexes i can measure mine once i am back from the track this afternoon for ya. :)'

Hope this helps

Hmm can't seem to find much information regarding the front gears - the stock items are the same front and rear whereas the 54471 items seems to be only compatible with the rear - but I can't see how? is this perhaps why 54428 is available and you just replace the gears in the front and not the rest of it?

the slipper clutch states you need a different pinion than stock - can I use 54467 (32 or 33T Pinion) with the slipper clutch or will I need a different size spur gear to go with the slipper - I plan on using a Speed passion 13.5t motor.

cheers

G.

You don't need steel diff gears in an XV-01 unless you have some crazy system in it. Mine has the original plastic gears and cross shafts still. A 13.5 is just about right with 5.5:1 or so FDR.

As for the separate suspension mounts, you'll need two 54379, one 54376, and one 54377 for a complete car.

You will definitely want the reinforced drive belt. It just lasts and lasts.

Thanks for the info.

I have ordered the following from Tony's Tamiya Parts

54379    Tamiya XV-01 Aluminium Suspension Mount X2
54467    48 Pitch Pinion Gear (32T, 33T), (XV-01/XV01/XV-01TC/XV01TC)
54450    18T Aluminium Pulley (for TA06 & XV-01) (XV01/TA-06) X2
54448    Reinforced Drive Belt (573mm)

Can't get hold of the following in the UK though

This is for the rear suspension so it might take less abuse than the front ? 

Decided to order the just the rear steel diff - but will see if it works in the front for future reference too.

The differentials are identical front and rear. The TA06 rear diff is used in several models, while the TA06 front diff has a pulley on it and (I think) is only used on the TA06.

The rear separate suspension mount is the least likely to break, so you should be ok.

13 minutes ago, Big Jon said:

The differentials are identical front and rear. The TA06 rear diff is used in several models, while the TA06 front diff has a pulley on it and (I think) is only used on the TA06.

The rear separate suspension mount is the least likely to break, so you should be ok.

Cool thanks. Just need to select a servo now - as I believe none of the ones I have will work as they are too big!

@Scipunk I got my mitts on the NN2 spacer this morning, these are the droids your looking for:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AS6420U-LBL-M4x6-Alum-Spacer-2-0mm-thick-6-LBL/253474024351?hash=item3b043aab9f:g:m1cAAOSwMPxaoAs8&frcectupt=true   (Blue)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AS6420U-BK-M4x6-Alum-Spacer-2-0mm-thick-6-BK/253474026735?hash=item3b043ab4ef:g:CfIAAOSwL9paoAtl  (Black)

I just clicked the button!  If you can wait for them to travel from Japan to the UK and then to the US, ill send you a couple if you cover the postage.

I already have the TRF 42102 Dampers which I had on a TT-02.

For the XV-01 do you swap part v5 to v6 to give more ground clearance ? 

Also what springs are recommended for the XV-01?

The 42102 kit comes with yellow. There is a kit 54465 with 2x Soft 2x Medium and 2x Hard - is it generally wise to have the same stiffness front and rear (therefore you need to spring kits) or stiffer on the front due to the motor being up there?

For the long damper kit the go to shock is the gf01 alloy damper set, the cc01 damper kit is identical but different color. It could also be used on the regular xv01 towers with short ends. But without modification, they have a bit too much travel for a stock kit. 

Sway bars are mandatory if you increase the travel. Trf502x front springs are the best option for gf01 dampers on the xv01 but without sway bars they might be too soft for some users. 

Juls

5 hours ago, El Dougo said:

@Scipunk I got my mitts on the NN2 spacer this morning, these are the droids your looking for:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AS6420U-LBL-M4x6-Alum-Spacer-2-0mm-thick-6-LBL/253474024351?hash=item3b043aab9f:g:m1cAAOSwMPxaoAs8&frcectupt=true   (Blue)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AS6420U-BK-M4x6-Alum-Spacer-2-0mm-thick-6-BK/253474026735?hash=item3b043ab4ef:g:CfIAAOSwL9paoAtl  (Black)

I just clicked the button!  If you can wait for them to travel from Japan to the UK and then to the US, ill send you a couple if you cover the postage.

Thanks for the link, i already clicked it before i read the bottom post...lol

1 hour ago, Juls1 said:

For the long damper kit the go to shock is the gf01 alloy damper set, the cc01 damper kit is identical but different color. It could also be used on the regular xv01 towers with short ends. But without modification, they have a bit too much travel for a stock kit. 

Sway bars are mandatory if you increase the travel. Trf502x front springs are the best option for gf01 dampers on the xv01 but without sway bars they might be too soft for some users. 

Juls

Thanks for the info! So as i only have the factory shock towers (i need to order at least the front carbon one) do you have a part number for the sway bars? Also are we to use the 502x on only the front?
thanks!

And we have begun! However i have to now wait for my spacers...lol

20190415_000230

20190415_000556

20190415_001635 20190415_002537 20190415_002746

Once the spacers come i can really get into it. I do hope i put enough fluid in them...lol

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Juls1 said:

Juls

Right I am confused !!! I thought the Kit I ordered 58569 - being the rally version was 'Long damper spec' - but I guess it is not!

What do I need other than the GF-01 dampers 54670 and stabilizers 54514 - obviously springs but probably need something for dirt mainly but some tarmac so medium stiffness I guess. Do the shock towers need replacing?