Im in the mood for a truck and Im almost sold on a CLod Buster or a TXT1 or a Jugg.....you see the problem.  While looking for a decent priced TXT2 I stumbled onto the CR01 chassis.  Ive read about it a few times on here and it seems the overall consenscous isnt too positive. Why? Whats so wrong with it? Is the "new' Traxxas TRX4 that much better?

• Like 1

I think it suffers from an identity crisis, mainly. It's not as scale (or can't be made as scale) as something like an SCX10 or the RC4WD trucks, and it's not as capable as a dedicated crawler. And it's expensive for what it is. It always looked like an interesting kit to me, with the bellcrank suspension and the planetary gearbox, but there were always other options I wanted more.

• Like 3

There is a CR-01 section on the rccrawler forum but there hasn't been any activity for a while.

Mainly seems to be because Tamiya haven't kept this model going, parts (Tamiya and third party)  appear to be dwindling and, as previously said, it seems to fall between two camps in terms of performance.

A shame given that from what I read on here all it really needs are the upgraded driveshafts on top of a stock build. And maybe the barrel springs and the zip tie mod on the cantilevers.

I'm looking forward to building my Rock Socker.

• Like 1

It's over a decade old now.  Too old to be competing with new trucks for buyers' attention and too new to be a classic for collectors.

I'll probably get one, but if I'm being honest I'd have to turn down some really nice trucks from other brands just to buy a Tamiya.

• Like 2

I dont know, Im a Tamiya nerd through and through, I have a tmaxx and its souless, maybe its the ready to run aspects that kills it for me.  I realy think im going to buy the hard shell RC4WD Blazer body and whatever I buy will be placed under it! MMMMMMM, a TXT1 with a Blazer body!!!!!!

• Like 1

I'm 100% here with you - Tamiya nerd that gets a cold shiver down the spine when he sees "RTR"  :wacko:

I've got a Rock Socker that - unsurprisingly to those who know me even a little bit - is 90% built and awaiting finishing :rolleyes: Since getting it I've bought up just about every 3rd party alloy bit made so before it gets finished it is going to be coming completely apart and rebuilt using them.....but that's the fun bit!!! I love building rc cars - and the CR-01 is one of the best for fun/hour/£ in my mind. Plus it is proper solid (i obviously have a huge disclaimer having not actually got it running properly yet) but it feels super rugged and has survived being dropped a few times being moved around in the garage without even batting an eyelid. 

I'd agree about the driveshafts needing replacement - i think the bean counters at Tamiya must've said "enough is enough" by then and insisted it was made cheaper, as it makes no sense them being plastic, but other than that I reckon it's proper old skool Tamiya build quality. And for me, and I reckon I'm not the only one who feels this, since the golden age of the Astute/Avante/Egress there really hasn't been another new Tamiya I've yearned after - except this. And so for me, this will always be "better" than any other crawler out there. 

• Haha 1

The CR01 made a bit of excitement when it was announced but it seemed to be out of date by the time it was released.  Crawling split into two directions - ultimate competition crawling and true scale trailing, and the CR01 wasn't really right for either.  I've never driven one and although I've heard it's a capable crawler it can't compete with dedicated crawler chassis.

I've got a bunch of custom scale/crawler projects that I've been lining up since before the CR01 was released and I wouldn't part with any of those in favour of a CR01.

• Like 1

I think I'm on only guy over on RCC who still posts in the CR01 section. It's a fantastic kit - unique suspension, tough as nails transmission, and a fun build but it's just not a competitive truck, nor especially scale so it's stuck in the middle somewhat. I do have a soft spot for it though, I still have 2 in the collection that get some wheel time here and there. Usually when I show up with one to a trail run, no one has any idea what it is. :) 

It is a lot of fun to tinker with though. I've built them as crawlers, scale trucks, and even with clod tires as a monster truck. Some with the cantilevers, some with stand up shocks, or as a combination of them two.  They do pretty well with a bit of work.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, OldSchoolRC1 said:

I think I'm on only guy over on RCC who still posts in the CR01 section. It's a fantastic kit - unique suspension, tough as nails transmission, and a fun build but it's just not a competitive truck, nor especially scale so it's stuck in the middle somewhat. I do have a soft spot for it though, I still have 2 in the collection that get some wheel time here and there. Usually when I show up with one to a trail run, no one has any idea what it is. :) 

It is a lot of fun to tinker with though. I've built them as crawlers, scale trucks, and even with clod tires as a monster truck. Some with the cantilevers, some with stand up shocks, or as a combination of them two.  They do pretty well with a bit of work.

Need pics of these!!!! :o

• Haha 1

Pretty please! :)

yeah got caught up in the new-release hype, bought the 'cruiser... still haven't decided what it's good/meant for today :unsure:

• Like 1

It kills me because some people complain that Tamiya doesn’t innovate and here is a truck innovated as all get out and no one buys it.

• Like 1

I had Cruiser at one time.  It was a fantastic build, quite complex but not something that would be fun or easy to service.  I often miss the truck and have considered a Rock Socker at times as it had a great look to it.

Funny this thread came up.  I never gave the CR01 a second look until sometime last year I bought one from a TC member for a good price.  Rebuilt the truck and have run it on the trails over the past two weekends and am in love with it.  All I did was lock both axles, add 4WS, and install the optional barrel springs. 

This truck is an absolute beast on the trails if you know how to use it properly.  Had it out last weekend along with my father and his TRX-4 Defender.  There was not one rock, obstacle, mud hole or anything else that the CR01 did not conquer, even when the TRX got stuck a few times.  With the axles locked, 4WS, and the stock Cliff Crawler 2.2 tires it was virtually unstoppable.  You definitely need to drive it differently than a TRX or SCX10, but I am having so much fun with this truck.  I have heard that the driveshafts are weak, but have not had any issues yet.  It also ran for over 2 hours on a single 5000mah 2S Lipo.  The TRX had to swap batteries twice.  

I really can't say enough good things about the CR01, I absolutely love it and would recommend it to anyone that wants something different from the traditional 4-link crawler that everyone is running nowadays.  

IMG_5327.JPG

IMG_5329.JPG

IMG_5333.JPG

• Like 9

First couple pages of my Project Thread document my build, Really enjoyable chassis that I'd never want to part with

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Funny this thread came up.  I never gave the CR01 a second look until sometime last year I bought one from a TC member for a good price.  Rebuilt the truck and have run it on the trails over the past two weekends and am in love with it.  All I did was lock both axles, add 4WS, and install the optional barrel springs. 

This truck is an absolute beast on the trails if you know how to use it properly.  Had it out last weekend along with my father and his TRX-4 Defender.  There was not one rock, obstacle, mud hole or anything else that the CR01 did not conquer, even when the TRX got stuck a few times.  With the axles locked, 4WS, and the stock Cliff Crawler 2.2 tires it was virtually unstoppable.  You definitely need to drive it differently than a TRX or SCX10, but I am having so much fun with this truck.  I have heard that the driveshafts are weak, but have not had any issues yet.  It also ran for over 2 hours on a single 5000mah 2S Lipo.  The TRX had to swap batteries twice.  

I really can't say enough good things about the CR01, I absolutely love it and would recommend it to anyone that wants something different from the traditional 4-link crawler that everyone is running nowadays.  

IMG_5327.JPG

IMG_5329.JPG

IMG_5333.JPG

That is a fantastic looking truck. I had never considered this chassis at all until this thread, but it looks great to me. 

Thank you!  I was the same, never gave it a second thought and now I absolutely love it.  Get one, you won't regret it.

This thread is making me want to break into my Rock Socker box but I MUST finish some of my other builds first...

7 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

This thread is making me want to break into my Rock Socker box but I MUST finish some of my other builds first...

Stall by buying a bearing set, uprated driveshafts and every alloy bit you can find for it :) 

Thank me later ;) 

2 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

Stall by buying a bearing set, uprated driveshafts and every alloy bit you can find for it :) 

Thank me later ;) 

I've already got the driveshafts :D. For the Rock Socker AND the FJ Cruiser.

Not many alloy bits out there just now but I ought to get some barrel springs...

...I'll thank you later.

3 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Thank you!  I was the same, never gave it a second thought and now I absolutely love it.  Get one, you won't regret it.

Factory supplied 4ws parts are a bonus. Locked diff and sticky tires will wear out the outdrives quickly on brushless power. Recommend the hop up diff parts if running locked. Front stays open on mine.

It's just fun to drive and rock solid.

Got an SCX10 as well but the CR01 is just well.. rocks

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

I've already got the driveshafts :D. For the Rock Socker AND the FJ Cruiser.

Not many alloy bits out there just now but I ought to get some barrel springs...

...I'll thank you later.

if there aren't many parts out there it will take you a while to find them....

that almost sounds deep.....

Don't thank me too much later - I'm off home in 15min

• Haha 1