Sign in to follow this  
pengoo

RE. RE. NOVAFOX........

OK been away busy ,but bug got to me again .. since I last was on my little collection has grown to 9 … but had to even the number out so I went and got myself a novafox ...allways liked the look of these from a few of you guys displays and the box art does do it well …..no pics yet only just got the box ….

BUT question on the build …. looking at the set up the rear gearbox ….? ,, am I right in thinking its the same as the hotshot ..? .. if so maybe worth throwing a MIP diff into it ...Is it worth it as I want to allways go above the standard can … ( I already have them here to go into the superhotshot ) but just call it practise to put them in this ..IF its the same model ...

I don't think they are quite the same.  The metal bevel gears are bigger in Novafox.  The diameter of the plastic gear itself might be similar (if not the same).  But if it fit, I think MIP would have advertised as such?  

Ball diffs are nice.  My wife just went item-by-item for my expenditure on March.  I was sweating through 3 sets of shocks, a heatsink and a body.  I can't justify $100 for a ball diff (especially if the diff doesn't spread the gearbox like Blackfoot and Monster Beetle).  I prefer to buy another car (see, Mr. Tamiya? I'm directing sales to you! Sorry MIP!).  Some people prefer mechanical solution.  That's cool, we all love functioning gadgets.  

All of my cars do have Limited Slip Differential effect.  Via "chemical" method.  Just like 1:1 Subaru diff fluids that thicken when heated up.  I got "3Racing Ultra Gear Diff Oil."  I'd say it's twice as sticky as AW grease.  I assume it's designed for open diffs, like the "Bad Horsie diff lock" I've been using on Fox and Hotshot, Bigwig, etc.  I haven't tried 3Racing stuff yet, though.  

• Haha 1

I think they’re completely different. From memory the Fox/Novafox have all plastic gears. Even the 3 little bevel gears which sit in the big gear are plastic bevels that you slide onto a little metal shaft each. The Hotshot ones are one piece of cast metal making up the little gear and its axle. The Hotshot has metal bevel gears onto each driveshaft too.

That’s not to say that the whole thing might not end up being the same size as the Hotshot one, but I think it’s unlikely as every part is different.

The Wild One, on the other hand, uses metal bevels which look to me to be very similar, if not identical, to the Hotshot ones. I’ve never compared them side by side though.

For what it’s worth I never had any problems with my old Fox’s gearbox back in the day. I wore out 2 motor pinions (one to the point of it slipping with a horrible graunching noise instead of the car moving), a motor, and 2 sets of driveshafts, but never once had any issues with the diff or other gears.

i fixed it up recently after probably 27 years rest, gave it some Novafox driveshafts, new steering ball joints, and it lives again! Enjoy yours!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks ģuys ...was just a quick look at it...but fancy a play about ...but will just build it up and see how it goes first ....