Blista

CC01 Bronco - some build advice wanted.

Today I got the message I like to see.  :D

lD3lQfW.jpg

Which means next week I'll hopefully be building my CC01.  I've got a few hop-ups ready to go but thought I'd better get some expertise before I start.

I ordered the Unimog 406 but I'll be building it with my Bronco body that I completed a year ago:

sIkUOd2.jpg

I bought a Unimog because it was about $75NZD cheaper than buying a Defender locally and came with the correct body mount parts and wheelbase needed for the Bronco.  I would've just bought a CC01 Bronco but I could only get an XB version locally and it would cost additional import fees for something that was about $10NZD over the allowed limit.

• I've got a bearing set, Yeah Racing steering kit, the CC01 barrel spring set, and some cheap 96mm tyres.  I'll also be running a Hobbywing 1060 ESC and the stock motor for now.  I've read a few builds and I think I've got the necessary basics covered.
  • I'll do the extra bushing in the rear axle trick.
  • People mention using threaded M3 screws and nuts on the gearbox cover but haven't seen it done.  I'm assuming it's as simple as drilling through the holes for part A3 then securing it with the screws?  I haven't got any spare M3 screws to use at the moment though.
  • Taking the square edge off the stock rear arms looks simple enough.
  • I looked into a GRU vs high turn motor and I think I'll end up putting in a cheap 60-80T motor.
  • Getting a GPM rear link kit, Tamiya aluminium dampers and stroke extension look like good upgrades, but I'll see how much I like the chassis first.
  • I need a steel pinion and I've seen the C-Hub mod to get more steering lock with some front CVDs.
  • I haven't got a servo yet but I was looking at the Savox 0251MG.  Do their "larger standard" servos fit?  The local shop doesn't have one in stock so I may get a Savox 0252MG if I'm feeling impatient anyway.
  • I'm probably using the LED kit in my drifter instead of this kit so no worries there.

The question now is: What else do I need to know?

• Like 5

The Bronco body looks awesome Mate, that's a lovely job you've done.  You're on the right track (excuse the pun).  I'm sure a few others will chime in but my initial thoughts are as follows:

• The Tamiya 54665 aluminium motor mount.
  • Xtraspeed rear lower trailing arms are a good alternative to the GPM rear link kit (only the important trailing arms, not a complete kit).
  • Junfac front skid plate / bumper.
  • Upgrading to machine screws is a good idea and do get yourself an m3 tap so you can cut some thread in the plastic or at least cut the first 6-8mm of thread before fitting the screws, (you shouldn't have to drill).  Yeah Racing do some great little screw kits in steel or titanium that will have all the m3 machine screws that you'll need.  They are hex screws.

Enjoy the build, CC01's are a lot of fun and it will look amazing with that Bronco shell.

• Like 1

Using nuts and machine screws on the front gearbox cover is a good idea if you are really going to stress it with a lot of torque, for example if you are running big rubber and a GRU, However for the setup you are proposing, simply using longer self-tapping screws should do the trick. My CC-01 is running a 55T motor and 14mm self-tapping screws, and I have had no issues with the gearbox cover lifting, even after years of use.

• Like 1

I just installed the Yeah racing steering unit. While it is decent quality, I am not completely happy with it. First off it rubs on the frame sub frame. Easy fix with a Dremel. The real problem I have is that the upper horn that the servo connects to is radially in the wrong position. Ideally it would be at a 90 degree angle with respect to the servo connecting rod, but it's not.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Thommo said:

The Bronco body looks awesome Mate, that's a lovely job you've done.  You're on the right track (excuse the pun).  I'm sure a few others will chime in but my initial thoughts are as follows:

• The Tamiya 54665 aluminium motor mount.
  • Xtraspeed rear lower trailing arms are a good alternative to the GPM rear link kit (only the important trailing arms, not a complete kit).
  • Junfac front skid plate / bumper.
  • Upgrading to machine screws is a good idea and do get yourself an m3 tap so you can cut some thread in the plastic or at least cut the first 6-8mm of thread before fitting the screws, (you shouldn't have to drill).  Yeah Racing do some great little screw kits in steel or titanium that will have all the m3 machine screws that you'll need.  They are hex screws.

Enjoy the build, CC01's are a lot of fun and it will look amazing with that Bronco shell.

Thanks!  It's been gathering dust while I decided between a CC01 and CR01.  Of course now the CC01 is almost here I'm thinking I might need both anyway.

I had intended on getting the Junfac skid plate but it was sold out when I last ordered some bits.  I'm not quite brave enough to chop the brick off a brand new kit but I can see how it is going to need something angled up front.

This seems like one of those kits that gets dismantled and rebuilt, so upgrading everything to machine screws sounds like a good idea.

11 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Using nuts and machine screws on the front gearbox cover is a good idea if you are really going to stress it with a lot of torque, for example if you are running big rubber and a GRU, However for the setup you are proposing, simply using longer self-tapping screws should do the trick. My CC-01 is running a 55T motor and 14mm self-tapping screws, and I have had no issues with the gearbox cover lifting, even after years of use.

Cheers.  Good to know it's not necessary for what I'll be running.  I don't think I'll be getting too ambitious with my CC01.

7 hours ago, Otis311 said:

I just installed the Yeah racing steering unit. While it is decent quality, I am not completely happy with it. First off it rubs on the frame sub frame. Easy fix with a Dremel. The real problem I have is that the upper horn that the servo connects to is radially in the wrong position. Ideally it would be at a 90 degree angle with respect to the servo connecting rod, but it's not.

Interesting that they didn't take the time to align it with the servo before producing the kit.  I guess there's only so much you can expect from cheaper aftermarket manufacturers.  Thanks for the heads up.  I'll know I haven't done anything wrong at least.

Replacing the shocks would be nice and improving the suspension travel and rebound. I'm currently re-building a CC01 and I'm enjoying the slow build while doing some mods and tuning to it. I have upgraded some parts too and installed bearing kit which is 98% complete. Just waiting for two pieces of 1260 size bearings for the outer knuckles.

Here's my build

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

Replacing the shocks would be nice and improving the suspension travel and rebound. I'm currently re-building a CC01 and I'm enjoying the slow build while doing some mods and tuning to it. I have upgraded some parts too and installed bearing kit which is 98% complete. Just waiting for two pieces of 1260 size bearings for the outer knuckles.

Nice build thread.  Crazy to think you've got a 23 year old kit and Tamiya are still selling them new.  I like how you've modded the front suspension.  Not sure if I'll be doing anything that complex just yet.

Everyone who gets the Tamiya aluminium dampers and stroke extension kit for the CC01 seems to rate them highly so they'll eventually make their way onto my Bronco.  I'll have to experiment with springs and damper fluid for now.