Sign in to follow this  
Uranium

the correct pinion size

hi. i'm guessing that this has already been answered, but i still can't just find a direct answer.

obviously if you took the time out of your day to look at some other question threads i made, i have a TT02 with the stock torque tuned motor. i'm satisfied with it, except the shoddy stock pinion. it already looks pretty bad, nearly like its soft as icing on a cake. so obviously i want to upgrade it with a steel pinion. 

my main problem with actually finding one is the pitch. they're 0.6 module, but i don't know what the actual pitch is. i saw an older thread on here saying they're like 42.5 pitch, but i think it'll be hard to find specifically a 42.5 pitch pinion on amazon...i think a 48 pitch is nearly the same as 0.6 module, so can i use a 48p pinion? thanks for any answers.

if you're curious, i think a robinson racing pinion will be good, but i don't see any 0.6 modules with more than 22 teeth by them sold on amazon. is hot racing good?

I believe the Tamiya Mod 0.6 pinions are 42.3 pitch or something like that, but they are usually sold as mod 0.6.  I would definitely not run a 48p pinion, that will do more damage than the crappy stock Tamiya pinion.  Robinson is great, have been using them for years but I believe the largest mod 0.6 they make is 23t.  Hot Racing may be OK, but I've never used them.  Why not just use a Robinson and tune your ratio with a smaller spur gear?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

I believe the Tamiya Mod 0.6 pinions are 42.3 pitch or something like that, but they are usually sold as mod 0.6.  I would definitely not run a 48p pinion, that will do more damage than the crappy stock Tamiya pinion.  Robinson is great, have been using them for years but I believe the largest mod 0.6 they make is 23t.  Hot Racing may be OK, but I've never used them.  Why not just use a Robinson and tune your ratio with a smaller spur gear?

thanks. a 48p pinion might damage it, but would it still fit? just because...i don't know.

if i can, i'll probably nab a 120t spur gear or something with an equally ludicrous amount of teeth, but that probably wouldn't fit the chassis, so i'm gonna try to play it safe and stick with the 66t.

RCMart have a bunch, http://www.rcmart.com/pinion-spur-motor-gear-motor-gear-c-1293_1309.html

I use the Yeah Racing pinions in my race cars and they are holding up fine.

If I were you I would buy the high speed gear set and Yeah Racing motor mount and switch to 48p gears. The high speed gear set allows you to fit any spur gear you want, so you can choose 48p or 64p. The Yeah Racing motor mount has a slot instead of holes so you can set the mesh yourself, allowing any combination

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Uranium said:

thanks. a 48p pinion might damage it, but would it still fit? just because...i don't know.

I don't think they are swappable.  Tooth size and diameter are also different.

yaqCZQY.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hey guys, thanks for the answers. i've found some HPI pinions that are 0.6 module. would they fit the shaft of the 540 motor or is the hole too large to comfortably sit on it? are they steel, or like the stock alloy? thanks.

2 hours ago, Uranium said:

hey guys, thanks for the answers. i've found some HPI pinions that are 0.6 module. would they fit the shaft of the 540 motor or is the hole too large to comfortably sit on it? are they steel, or like the stock alloy? thanks.

as long as they are 3.2mm bore you'll be fine, like these: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/rw-pinion-gears/rc-car-manufacturers/48/9920/992050&MSAttributeID[41]=647