graemevw

Vanquish rebuild

Also, once i realised i can just draw a load of reference lines to make laying out easier, and can just copy and past sections and flip them, things sped up alot.

I already know the next one will be even quicker.

I think the front tower took me about 6 hours, the rear took about 1.5 hours, so definitely speeding up! 

• Like 3

Fitted front and rear aluminium C parts, shimmed the axles and replaced the steering 5mm balls as there was too much slop for my liking.

KQkc1PF.jpg

trn7SCH.jpg

Starting to feel pretty sturdy!

Thinking it will need new wheels and tyres for track running though. The vintage avante ones are great, but the tyres are a bit old so spin on the wheels. Ill glue them, and use them in the garden, but this will see a bit of astro track action. Not sure what to fit. Maybe df03 wheels and tyres?

If anyone has any used, reasonably cheep, wheels and tyres that will be ok on astro (mini pins?) I could be interested. Dont need to be tamiya, 2" or 2.2, just something i can bolt on for a bit of play on track.

I guess i can pinch the egress wheels and schumacher spikes of my terra scorcher short term.

• Like 3

Ill talk to some folks at the next meet. Ill get to see what the schumacher cat spikes are like too, though i have no idea what compound they are.

10 hours ago, graemevw said:

Ill talk to some folks at the next meet. Ill get to see what the schumacher cat spikes are like too, though i have no idea what compound they are.

The CAT Spikes are full depth spikes. I have some on the rear of my Thunder Dragon's Egress rims paired with 2" Mini Spike front. I use them for grass running when I am away from the track as the full spikes give more grip on grass and even out the handling. On the track they are awful! Mini Spikes 2" front and rear grip really nicely and only come in yellow compound, but don't work for the Thunder Dragon because it has such a natural over steer balance. If the avante is more towards understeer you might ok. If you are buying new the best tyres for the track are wide cut Stagger front and mini spike or mini dart rear all in yellow. They are 2.2" though so you would need some DF03 rims to keep it tamiya or as 2.2" wheels. All the schumacher tyres need foam inserts. 

• Like 2

On 4/29/2019 at 12:09 AM, graemevw said:

Also, once i realised i can just draw a load of reference lines to make laying out easier, and can just copy and past sections and flip them, things sped up alot.

I already know the next one will be even quicker.

I think the front tower took me about 6 hours, the rear took about 1.5 hours, so definitely speeding up! 

Thats the usual way. Soon you will have reconstructed the whole Vanquish, believe me : )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

... If the avante is more towards understeer you might ok.

It is most certainly not - snap oversteer was (and sometimes still is) a complaint of Avante owners/drivers (since I never raced mine, it was less of a problem). The issue was somewhat settled with staggered wheel widths, but the relatively-short wheelbase still makes it twitchy.

I am excited to see what this Vanquish will turn into, but am also enjoying the journey through CAD. I was much the same way when picking up Inkscape, and was immensely proud of my first efforts - until they were promptly overshadowed by all my subsequent work!

You are building up one special car, graemevw :)

6 minutes ago, Grastens said:

It is most certainly not - snap oversteer was (and sometimes still is) a complaint of Avante owners/drivers (since I never raced mine, it was less of a problem). The issue was somewhat settled with staggered wheel widths, but the relatively-short wheelbase still makes it twitchy.

I am excited to see what this Vanquish will turn into, but am also enjoying the journey through CAD. I was much the same way when picking up Inkscape, and was immensely proud of my first efforts - until they were promptly overshadowed by all my subsequent work!

You are building up one special car, graemevw :)

this has a longer wheelbase than the avante. Really, this should drive like an egress, not that ive ever driven one.

• Like 1

Painted the body today, bit of a masking nightmare. Went ok but the tape gave way on the black coat and covered half the window! Got it cleaned up though.

I repainted the original body even though its a bit scuffed and has a small split or two. This will be run so didnt feel it was bad enough to replace. I have mci decals for it though. Painted the original wing even though its badly split. Ill glue it up and see how it goes. Might replace it so ive left the ropey decals on it for now.

Ill take some pics when its set up enough to mount.

At last! CAD is all done.

t4OME52.jpg

Ive drawn front and rear shock towers, g11, switch mount, a 2 layer top plate and a second version of that top layer that also ties in g11 and the switch mount. All the pieces have been modified slightly. Mounts for hicaps, extra holes to mount the rear tower to g11, and msc servo deleted.

Time to get them printed on card to check everything is ok, then send them off to fibrelyte 😎

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@graemevw This all looks great. Can't wait to see the results. 

It may get driven at the track this weekend and hopefully, it will have all the new parts by the june meet. Depends how long fibrelytes turn around it. 

Although knowing my luck ill snap the chassis this weekend and will have to spend the next 6 months trying to find another!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, graemevw said:

It may get driven at the track this weekend and hopefully, it will have all the new parts by the june meet. Depends how long fibrelytes turn around it. 

Although knowing my luck ill snap the chassis this weekend and will have to spend the next 6 months trying to find another!

Dude those Vanquish chassis' are pretty rugged. The Vanquish/Egress arms are pretty robust too. I've yet to brake anything on my Egress and it's driven hard under Brushless power on modern tracks .

• Like 3

Gave this a reasonable beating on track and a bit of jump bashing yesterday and its great. Nothing broke, it held up very well and handles well too. There is definitely tyre and set up improvements to be made (i used egress wheels with schumacher spikes) but the dynatech hustles it along pretty good.

Trying to find someone who can print the cad work on thin card for me as i dont have a printer.

Nice one graeme. Glad it ran well. Just print the parts on paper qnd cut them out, then stick thrm on some card before cutting out. 

• Like 1

Good point. Ill try and get them printed tomorrow.

The vanquish powers out of corners without spinning out but it ***** the front inner wheel which has got to be loosing drive and adding understeer. Not sure what i can do about that though. Stiffer rear sway bar maybe, but that may cause other issues.

The whole car sits a bit high, once i have the new towers ill lower the car a bit and see what happens before i worry too much about getting it just right.

• Like 2

You should Control your rear lower shock mounting. It seems turned around. You should check in the manual. the lock not sits in front, so the whole shock is angled to the rear in the lower end. ;) Glad that it didn´t crack with the old plastic parts. Some Tuning will for sure help you to get it more dialed in. Same for mine, still to do. Can´t wait, when your carbon parts arrive! That will be a very unique and cool runner Vanquish!

6 minutes ago, ruebiracer said:

You should Control your rear lower shock mounting. It seems turned around. You should check in the manual. the lock not sits in front, so the whole shock is angled to the rear in the lower end. ;) Glad that it didn´t crack with the old plastic parts. Some Tuning will for sure help you to get it more dialed in. Same for mine, still to do. Can´t wait, when your carbon parts arrive! That will be a very unique and cool runner Vanquish!

Well spotted! Ill get them changed.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 8:51 AM, graemevw said:

Gave this a reasonable beating on track and a bit of jump bashing yesterday and its great. Nothing broke, it held up very well and handles well too. There is definitely tyre and set up improvements to be made (i used egress wheels with schumacher spikes) but the dynatech hustles it along pretty good.

Trying to find someone who can print the cad work on thin card for me as i dont have a printer.

Hi Graeme, Need your Expertise: I´m just About to run my VAnquish on Sunday, but somehow my rear gearbox is not that smooth as it should be. It seems, I have some drag at the center diff, the drive Train does not spin really free when disconnecting the Motor. Can´t remember I had any Problem back in the 80`s.:lol: Needs some fiddling and Detail work, I guess. Did you have any Problems during your runs? And did your Carbon parts arrive already?

Br,

Matthias

7 minutes ago, ruebiracer said:

Hi Graeme, Need your Expertise: I´m just About to run my VAnquish on Sunday, but somehow my rear gearbox is not that smooth as it should be. It seems, I have some drag at the center diff, the drive Train does not spin really free when disconnecting the Motor. Can´t remember I had any Problem back in the 80`s.:lol: Needs some fiddling and Detail work, I guess. Did you have any Problems during your runs? And did your Carbon parts arrive already?

Br,

Matthias

I have 2 center diffs. Both felt awful untill i stripped, cleaned and rebuilt them. They felt great after. I guess thats all it needs? Easy enough to pop the diffs and gears out without stripping the car down.

No carbon parts yet, i still need to do the card templates to check they will all fit. I just got back from holiday today so will get back on it now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, graemevw said:

I have 2 center diffs. Both felt awful untill i stripped, cleaned and rebuilt them. They felt great after. I guess thats all it needs? Easy enough to pop the diffs and gears out without stripping the car down.

No carbon parts yet, i still need to do the card templates to check they will all fit. I just got back from holiday today so will get back on it now.

Thank you for the info. I already found, that the 850 bearing was gritty under load. But didn´t cure the whole thing, but gave some improvement. Will check tomorrow with the Center spool from the Vajra, to see, if it spins more freely. 

Good luck for the cardboard check, can´t wait for your final results. 

Just now, ruebiracer said:

Good luck for the cardboard check, can´t wait for your final results. 

Thanks, me neither! I hope the lead time for getting them made isnt too long!!

1 minute ago, graemevw said:

Thanks, me neither! I hope the lead time for getting them made isnt too long!!

Don´t think so, Fibre lyte are quite Pro´s I´d guess. They are quite a Long time around there.;)