graemevw

Vanquish rebuild

New wheels and tyres for the vanquish, i went with schumacher mini spikes in yellow on manta ray wheels. I narrowed the front wheels to normal 4wd front size. Got the prints of the parts i drew too so i can get on and check those. Then it needs some alignment work and lowering somewhat!

Got a new rear wing coming too.

nf84611.jpg

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, ruebiracer said:

Looking good! So the Schumacher tires are still 2,1 size wheels, right?

No, the Manta Ray wheels are 2". Schumacher have kept making the CAT Blocks for that size and more recently released a 2" version of the modern minispike. Schumacher part numbers are U6849 and u6850. 

• Like 1

If you run on grass or soft surfaces i have found the 2" CAT Full Spike rear has more grip than the mini spike so it ev3ns out the balance on these oversteering vintage buggies. They balanced out my Thunder Dragon really nicely. Part number on full spikes are T650

• Like 2

I have some full spikes on egress wheels, but i think ill slim the avante fronts and put them on those.

I like the egress wheels, but they bent the first time i used them! The super astutes front wheels were bent from new, my lunchbox wheels arent straight either. Im rapidly of the opinion tamiya wheels are rubbish!

These manta ray wheels ticked all the boxes, cheap, look like they should stay in shape, simple looking, cheap, 2", non offensive colour, 12mm hex and cheap.

If they dont buckle the first time i use them ill be happy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I love my egress wheels, but it's 2.2 all the way on everything else! 

I do, but a couple of laps of the track and they developed a significant buckle! Might drop them in some hot water, see if they pull back, but i guess they will do it again.

I like the jc racing 2.2 optima wheels, might try some of them one day. I think the vanquish could pull off 2.2 wheels.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, graemevw said:

I do, but a couple of laps of the track and they developed a significant buckle! Might drop them in some hot water, see if they pull back, but i guess they will do it again.

Yikes! Worth knowing! I always run 2.2 at the trqck to get the cut staggers on the front for a good balance. I only run my egress wheels razzing about on grass parks. 

Just now, ThunderDragonCy said:

Yikes! Worth knowing! I always run 2.2 at the trqck to get the cut staggers on the front for a good balance. I only run my egress wheels razzing about on grass parks. 

I didnt really even hit anything. Grip rolled once or twice but nothing bad. Back wheel buckled worst surprisingly. I guess thats 'lightweight' for you!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, graemevw said:

I like the jc racing 2.2 optima wheels, might try some of them one day. I think the vanquish could pull off 2.2 wheels.

I have such a crush on those neon yellow ones. If they did slim fronts they would be on my Grasshopper2 Ultra G in a second. 

3 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I have such a crush on those neon yellow ones. If they did slim fronts they would be on my Grasshopper2 Ultra G in a second. 

I like the bronze, but no idea what car id put them on!

• Haha 1

Finally got the carbon parts sorted. Could post pics untill now as my image hosting went awry. 

Made some alloy parts to mount it all together. Needs a little finessing and the suspension settings finalising, but im SUPER happy with how this little cad project has turned out.

20190620_201807-1080x1920.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@graemevw That looks AWESOME! 

Thanks, it couldnt have gone better. If i get more cut i may tweek the odd radius but all good.

Ill take it apart again at the weekend, add a few finishing touches and take better pics of the pieces.

Never thought id be able to draw up my own pieces and get the made.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, graemevw said:

Thanks, it couldnt have gone better. If i get more cut i may tweek the odd radius but all good.

Ill take it apart again at the weekend, add a few finishing touches and take better pics of the pieces.

Never thought id be able to draw up my own pieces and get the made.

Really well done. 

• Like 1

Totally missed the end result last year, great done Graemevw!:)

I´m one step behind you and did cut my FRP parts this year by hand, definetely have to learn to draw mine on CAD the next time...:lol:

Looks so good on yours!

1 hour ago, ruebiracer said:

Totally missed the end result last year, great done Graemevw!:)

I´m one step behind you and did cut my FRP parts this year by hand, definetely have to learn to draw mine on CAD the next time...:lol:

Looks so good on yours!

The car got a fair bit of track use and drove great!

Lowering the car 10mm really helped too.

It was thrashed mercilessly with a 17t motor, on big outdoor gastro tracks, with big jumps, and I never broke anything.

I prefer the modded vanquish to my egress!

They are a great car when sorted.

Learning cad is very much worthwhile. I used Adobe illustrates. Took a few hours playing around to work out how to use it, but you get quicker fast.

How have you done your parts? The 2 piece top plate really works, removing the msc servo. Gives more room for the motor.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I robbed the front gearbox, prop, hi caps and alloy c parts from this for my egress so the vanquish is in bits in a box.

Now it's being 're released I'll get a few bits to put it back together.

I miss it!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, graemevw said:

Unfortunately, I robbed the front gearbox, prop, hi caps and alloy c parts from this for my egress so the vanquish is in bits in a box.

Now it's being 're released I'll get a few bits to put it back together.

I miss it!

You know, Vanquish CS is the top model of the line, Egress was just another body and some Ti screws.:lol:

Get it back running, I will update my thread these days, what I´ve done to mine this year and last year. 

My tools for the FRP were a Juweler´s handsaw, and drills, countersunk tools etc.. Just like 1990...

Upperdeck I still used the plastic one, but lowered the Steering servo a lot, to make room for a better Evert...

Kind regards,

Matthias

Wow, fantastic build! Very inspirational, well done.

I am just starting a rebuild of my Vanquish and Avante 2001, both are totally knackered now after 18 years of use racing on our back garden track. You have inspired me to make some mods to the pair. Although you've probably cost me a fortune as I now want alot more parts LOL

Hi, how did you manage to get the body through the small gap at the shock tower? Don't want to stress my old ladies body too much. 

I tried to do a mockup of your configuration/shock tower using a 3d printer to figure out a good solution and get it made of aluminum or FRP as soon it is at good enough. 

I got the new VQS High Caps from my wife as a birthday present and built them according manual. Would love to remove the spacer to get some more shock travel.

Ride height is much too high and I got a bad vibration when shocks are fully extended while steering. 

1644704461559460914510725955917.jpg