Sign in to follow this  
Bdongyface

Tempted by Tamico again! Oooh CC01!

I can't help myself but check the Tamico offer of the week every Monday, and this weeks CC01Isuzu Mu offer seems to be tempting me even more than normal. I have been thinking about getting a CC01 for a while, but I haven't found a good enough reason to pull the trigger just yet. The ABS body that comes with this model is quite appealing to me as I would like to try and make some customisations with styrene sheet, and I am too nervous to start with a scorcher shell! The main thing that is holding me back is I have no experience of running this type of vehicle. My son and I mainly drive our cars in our yard which a has compacted gravel road and large loop with grass in the middle which we race around, so it is a basically like a gravel rally stage. I drive my dt02 Holiday buggy and he has a dt03 Racing fighter, would the stock CC01 be able to keep up with his basically stock dt03 or would I just be pottering along in his dust? We don't really have a place for rock crawling, so I'm not looking to do that, I mainly want to do similar type of driving but with a truck that I can modify the shell a bit. It is up for 120Euros, which seems like quite a cheap way into the CC01 world, but I don't want to get something that will just be frustrating! So if any of you have any experience of rallying or bashing with the CC01 I would love to hear about it.

The CC01 is... ehh.. for bashing. It's top heavy with the ABS shell on there, and it has a 4-linked rear axle so axle tuck becomes an issue at higher speeds. They jump fairly flat though, as their weight is nicely 50-50 distributed. Also, it's an ABS body shell, so they're WAY more fragile than a lexan one.

If you're looking at trucks to bash, try going to stadium trucks or buggies. Your DT02 should have no issues keeping up with his DT03.

I'm a huge fan of CC01s and at that price I'd go for it if I had the spare cash, but maybe not as something to drive with a DT-03 as they are very different creatures.

In stock trim the CC01 mostly aims to look and perform like the road-going version of a real independent-front, solid-rear 4x4 truck.  As @GooneyBird says, it's not really for racing around after 2wd race buggies.  It'll roll over on the corners and won't have the speed on the straights.

OTOH, they do look great and they're fun to drive at lower speeds, if you 'get' the whole scaler thing.  They're not rock crawlers and in stock trim they'll only tackle the easier trails, but you can do heaps to the body to make them look more realistic and there's loads of scope for chassis upgrades to cope with tougher trails.

I've always wanted to build a rally or rally-raid spec CC01 to see how well it can compete against more dedicated rally chassis, but I expect grip roll will be the biggest issue, even with a lexan body.

I've actually thought about building one up as a touring car. Because that's exactly how mad I am. The whole project kinda hinges on me finding either an F150 Lightning or Mustang body shell, because I'd like it to at least have a solid axle in real life as well. The limited gearing options do pose a challenge though...

But that's not what you're asking.

Like @Mad Ax said, in stock trim they're suprisingly good approximations of real off-roaders/SUVs. They'll do speed in the same way that a Wrangler does highway speeds, but isn't exactly made to do so. They're quite capable on dirt trails and such, but would you take a completely stock Pajero rock crawing? Or would you build a 6 foot ramp and launch your Honda CR-V off of it? Exactly.

On a reasonably scale surface though, they're amazing good fun. I have a basically stock Pajero and use it as my walking buddy. I live near some woods, and there's miles and miles of trails in there used by walkers and mountain bikers. I've fitted a 55t brushed motor, and an old 3000 mAh NiMH lasts me about 90 minutes (or 5 km of trekking through the woods). I usually bring two charged NiMH and have a great afternoon out.

If it's for bashing, go for the CC01. I'm quite surprised at this kit as you can do a lot of DIY modifications for it. I'm currently rebuilding a 23 year old kit into a semi-rally/semi-crawler type of basher.

A CC01 with a slower (45-55 turn) motor and some better tires makes for a wonderful easygoing fun car. It's not meant to be fast, and it's clearly not a hardcore crawler, but it's more capable than you would guess, and it just looks so good driving around. You can fix the "weaknesses" (sloppy steering and poor clearance/approach angles) without much trouble, or just keep it stock and enjoy it.

Thank you for your responses, even if it has tempered my temptation a little! I have recently almost totalled my holiday buggy with a combination of high speed crashes, deep puddles and generally poor driving skills making it look a little worse for ware, but much fun has been had! A slower more sedate drive might suit my skill level quite well! The ABS body being even more fragile does worry me a little as I know I will spend many hours modifying and painting it etc, but I have been pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoy that side of the hobby recently, finishing off my as yet un-driven lowride pumpkin.  My son would love us to have some sort of monster truck or a wild willy 2, which I guess my well be more sensible backyard basher options to compliment our buggies. I love building them and he loves driving them, so at the moment we make a pretty good team. I've still got a few days to think this over! 

16 hours ago, Bdongyface said:

.  My son would love us to have some sort of monster truck or a wild willy 2, which I guess my well be more sensible backyard basher options to compliment our buggies. I love building them and he loves driving them, so at the moment we make a pretty good team. I've still got a few days to think this over! 

My 4.5 yr old son loves running our WW2 in the back garden. And we’re building a big monster truck (TXT-2 Agrios) in the summer. The WW2 always has us grinning as it bounces across the lawn and skids on the tarmac down the side of the house. The tyres make a great noise. In fact, it has bounced off the house a few times so far and needs a new bumper mount! Turning is not it’s strong point and it can be a little frustrating when it doesn’t do what he’s asking it to.

With younger kids, a pair of Wild Willies or others of that ilk are probably the most fun you can have.  Virtually indestructible and huge fun even at low speeds, and the endless wheelies and jumps and crazy stunts keep kids entertained for hours.

Recently my brother-in-law loaned us his 80s Tonka dump truck from his childhood, and my daughter loves filling the back with pebbles and pushing it around the patio.  When she's a little bit older I'll get her a GF-01 dump truck.  She's already enjoyed putting pebbles in the back of my KBF-bodied G6-01 while I drive it around.  I'm sure we'll have endless fun :)

On 4/2/2019 at 8:48 AM, Bdongyface said:

I can't help myself but check the Tamico offer of the week every Monday, and this weeks CC01Isuzu Mu offer seems to be tempting me even more than normal. I have been thinking about getting a CC01 for a while, but I haven't found a good enough reason to pull the trigger just yet. The ABS body that comes with this model is quite appealing to me as I would like to try and make some customisations with styrene sheet, and I am too nervous to start with a scorcher shell! The main thing that is holding me back is I have no experience of running this type of vehicle. My son and I mainly drive our cars in our yard which a has compacted gravel road and large loop with grass in the middle which we race around, so it is a basically like a gravel rally stage. I drive my dt02 Holiday buggy and he has a dt03 Racing fighter, would the stock CC01 be able to keep up with his basically stock dt03 or would I just be pottering along in his dust? We don't really have a place for rock crawling, so I'm not looking to do that, I mainly want to do similar type of driving but with a truck that I can modify the shell a bit. It is up for 120Euros, which seems like quite a cheap way into the CC01 world, but I don't want to get something that will just be frustrating! So if any of you have any experience of rallying or bashing with the CC01 I would love to hear about it.

CC01 is pretty slow and even with a high KV brushless motor and the correct pinion it's just not quick nor stable.

If you want a great gravel rally off road car then the TT02 Lancia is unbeatable value. Great ground clearance too. For general bashing you don't need to mod it.

3s Lipo on the standard brushed motor using a Hobbywing Quicrun 1060 is a very cost effective speed upgrade too.

Not sure which country you are in but here's a UK link.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-lancia-delta-integrale-tt-02-/rc-car-products/376209

Or Impreza option but larger body gets caught up a bit more in my experience.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-subaru-impreza-monte-carlo-99-tt-02/rc-car-products/397245