Sign in to follow this  
Kevin_Mc

Turbofans for wheels - Talk to me!

33652230208_89146f95f6_z.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Where can i buy something along the lines of the turbofans on the Lancia pictured below? They look brilliant and i have approx 412 cars that they would suit. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

46559600455_3c73e86df9.jpg

• Haha 1

HPI Racing #114637 - FIFTEEN52 TURBOMAC. Note, they are 6mm offset.

• Thanks 1

Do these only fit the fifteen52 wheels as i’m not a massive fan of the wheel itself but knew they come with them? 

I was hoping to be able to fit a set on top of, say, a BTCC style wheel and be able to buy them separately. 

The fans have plastic clips on the back that match the shape of the fifteen52 spoke design:
https://images.amain.com/images/large/hpi/hpi114637_1.jpg

I guess you could cut the tabs on the fan and glue them to any wheel you want, perhaps even drill some small holes in the fan so they can be attached with some fine gauge wire and avoid needing glue.

• Thanks 1

That’s a pity, i was hoping they’d mount to the wheel nut and be universal

I have the HPI turbofans on my Delta. The offset is quite extreme though so may not be to everyones taste.

Resized_20190111_191727_1186.jpeg

Resized_20190111_191826_9995.jpeg

• Like 1

It’s a Delta i want them on. And i think you’ve sold me on the idea!

i thought they’d look too modern but the look great on both the Lancia and the Fiesta 

I specified the same HPI fifteen52 turbofan wheels for my ongoing Lancia 037 build:

e0kjlk.jpg

It is worth noting that the 037 shell is quite narrow to begin with... At the time, I was musing that the setup would look fantastic on a Lancia Delta, which actually used these wheels in period - unlike the 037, where the wheels appear on vintage rally cars post-Group B.

However, I see from Superluminal's image that the wheels actually fit quite well under a Delta shell.

The semi-slick tires on this 037 were a tight fit for those HPI wheels. Overseas gravel-style touring car tires (or most tires made overseas) seem to work better, since their bead seat diameters tend to be larger than stock Tamiya tires'.

To be honest I hated them at first but they have grown on me now. I think the Lancia Delta shell has always been better suited to a 200mm wide chassis as the original wheels looked a little bit lost under the arches especially at the rear.

Its a shame the HPI wheels are not 3mm offset as they would fit perfectly then.

• Like 1

Interesting point. Given the breadth of HPI touring car shells advertised at 200 mm wide, perhaps this makes sense? Unless those were not their 1:10 bodies...

• Like 1