Re-Bugged

Blue Edition Brat

Scrolling back through Tamiya Blog after seeing an update on the M08 chassis there is a section on a Blue Edition Subaru Brat coming. 

May be of interest to you @Jason1145 ?

https://tamiyablog.com/2019/04/official-description-of-upcoming-tamiya-47413-subaru-brat-blue-version/

No pic’s unfortunately but seems as though the chassis is still grey, pity, so I suppose the body’s are pre-finished. 

• Like 1

Cool a Pre painted blue hard body and a clear one for artistic license!

it mentions 3 different pinion options?

Is it a different design to my 2016 Blackfoot which should arrive today as that only has 1 brass pinion to fit?

It says the body is moulded in blue abs, not painted.

It also says pinions, but lists spur gear sizes. The brat comes with 3 gearing options anyway. Looks like the only difference is they moulded the body in blue.

• Like 1

Lol to me blue abs is a pre painted body ;)

Cheers about the spur thingy.

56 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Cool a Pre painted blue hard body and a clear one for artistic license!

it mentions 3 different pinion options?

Is it a different design to my 2016 Blackfoot which should arrive today as that only has 1 brass pinion to fit?

The Brat/Frog shares the same tranny as the BF/MB, though the various gears used are slightly different depending on the set-up.  The BF/MB gears give more torque and less speed.  The BF/MB also uses a motor mount plate and a smaller pinion to produce more torque and less speed. 

I've attached notes to myself about the different tranny set-ups for the ORVs.

LMK if you have any questions...

Terry

___ORV Gears.txt

• Like 2

"Chassis parts are molded in gray"

Bah!  Why not a blue chassis like the Bush Devil ORV?!?  

Terry

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

Terry

Indeed, needs something more than just a blue moulded body. The decals may be different i guess.

Would look ACE on a chrome chassis, they should have included that. Id be buying a blue issue brat with chrome chassis!!!

• Like 1

I think I would have preferred a blue chassis, black, blue or chromed wheels and just a lexan body that's pre-painted to keep the price low.

Blue abs on its own is slightly pointless as it's always better to paint it anyway!?!

• Like 1

Ok, that's cool and all, but... you guys have the chassis, you have the Lancia body, and you've proven that wheels and tires are no big deal to reproduce. Come on, give me a reason to buy another ORV...

• Like 2

In some cases, like this Brat, these "color" editions just seem kinda hokey to me. The more elaborate ones like the blue edition Lunch Box I'm ok with, but just molding the body in a different color does nothing for me. I mean, aren't we always being told we should paint the bodies anyway? The Black Edition Midnight Pumpkin always makes me laugh. Its molded in black. Big deal. Why weren't Blackfoots "Black Edtions" all along since they were molded in black? When Tamiya started molding Monster Beetles in red back in the day, shouldn't they now be "Red Editions"? Forgive my cynicism. I guess RC sales can be tough in this day and age so any gimmick that keeps them profitable is understandable.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Saito2 said:

In some cases, like this Brat, these "color" editions just seem kinda hokey to me. The more elaborate ones like the blue edition Lunch Box I'm ok with, but just molding the body in a different color does nothing for me. I mean, aren't we always being told we should paint the bodies anyway? The Black Edition Midnight Pumpkin always makes me laugh. Its molded in black. Big deal. Why weren't Blackfoots "Black Edtions" all along since they were molded in black? When Tamiya started molding Monster Beetles in red back in the day, shouldn't they now be "Red Editions"? Forgive my cynicism. I guess RC sales can be tough in this day and age so any gimmick that keeps them profitable is understandable.

Thats how i feel too. Thats why they should be doing more with these editions. Metallic wheels, chassis colours etc. Give us a reason to buy them!

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

I think they should embrace the gimmick-ness of it even more. Back in the 80s, some snap-together model kits (often 1/32 kits from MPC and Monogram) came molded in different colors, and you didn't know until you opened the box which color you would get. Tamiya should do the same with the lower-priced hard-body kits.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markbt73 said:

Back in the 80s, some snap-together model kits (often 1/32 kits from MPC and Monogram) came molded in different colors, and you didn't know until you opened the box which color you would get. Tamiya should do the same with the lower-priced hard-body kits.

Now this, I agree with. Making a big production out of a "color" edition, that doesn't equate to much, doesn't do it for me but the mystery of not knowing the color would be kinda cool. If you didn't care for the color, you could paint it anyway. Some of the Monogram kits I have in my stash were even molded with metallic in the plastic which looked pretty good sometimes. Looking at what my daughter has available in toy selection, much of it is based on "mystery" or "surprise". Kids seem to dig that nowadays.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Some of the Monogram kits I have in my stash were even molded with metallic in the plastic which looked pretty good sometimes.

"Metal-Glow"! I know it well. I have a 1/24 '70 Challenger kit molded in metallic red right now, and when I was young I built a 1/8 scale "Metal-Glow" '82 Camaro that came with a little packet of Turtle Wax for the body.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 5:31 PM, Saito2 said:

I get the "Black Special" idea, as in "put some special parts on it to go with the special color scheme", and I can see the appeal of the "chrome" editions, but the "standard" color editions do nothing for me.

But - more color choices for those who don't like to paint, more collectibles for whoever choses to collect Brats or color editions. 

Like that TC member the other day bought Supreme Hornet because he collects Hornets. If I was all into Lunch Boxes, I'd want the red and blue and black and Christmas editions, too, I guess... Now Brat guys get to want different editions. Good for them, good for Tamiya, the only thing that bothers me is the Nissan Titan decal in those pictures. 

• Like 2

On 4/5/2019 at 8:37 PM, Jason1145 said:

Lol to me blue abs is a pre painted body ;)

Cheers about the spur thingy.

If it polish’s up anything like the BF body that would be great 👍🏻 

On 4/6/2019 at 10:09 PM, THE SMOOTHEE said:

I’m guessing this may be a blue chrome finish body. Time will tell.

That’s what I was thinking, like the Blue Metallic Neo Scorcher. 

On 4/5/2019 at 9:10 PM, Frog Jumper said:

Terry

That would be a proper blue edition then 👍🏻

Someone did a blue chassis Brat with the shell in a metallic blue and the Rally Impreza gold swoosh’s on and looked fantastic. 

Well at least one could get a proper set of quality tamiya decals for the original alternative paint scheme

Official photo:

Apparently dark grey frame (darker than King Blackfoot?). Bumper mount appears to be dark grey too, which would mean that H-parts is molded in dark grey, including front suspension arms. If so, I would expect C-parts to be molded in dark grey too (center of gearbox, rear suspension arms, wheelhubs etc. Wheels, bullbar and rollbar all molded in black?

Unfortunately, the logical assumption that the blue version would come with the alternative red/yellow stickers seems wrong. If so, I can't possibly understand why Tamiya didn't revive the red/yellow stickers, which imho would look a lot better on blue than the black/gold stickers do! :( Can just hope that both are included, but I don't really believe so.

8334aff0131914eddcabde49ec20ccff.jpg

• Like 5

I like it, I don't have a Brat yet but do enjoy the option of alternate colored decals and parts molded in different colors. Same goes forthe various versions of the Lunchy. 

Be good if it comes with the clear screen.... And agree needs the alternative stripes. 

10 minutes ago, zakspeed said:

Be good if it comes with the clear screen.... And agree needs the alternative stripes. 

Yes, it seems that the window parts are either not tinted at all or at least lighter than the other re-re Brats. As for the stickers, I can’t believe that Tamiya has passed the opportunity of reviving the red/yellow stickers, which really look good on blue. In my humble opinion, black/gold on blue looks really dull.

I like the dark chassis, I like the blue body, I like the black/gold stripes... but I hate the black wheels. They make the overall appearance too dark, and those white 8-spoke wheels are so iconically '80s Subaru that it looks wrong without them.

• Like 1