chacham

Where can i get a replacement for the controller's antenna?

I have a TT01E and the controller's antenna broke. How do i find the replacement part for it?

gaisyakb4zo21.jpg

Search for adspec or transmitter, tx etc - the tt01e is the reference for the chassis and is not really relevant to spare parts for the transmitter

Just had a look myself - not a great deal available in the way of replacement parts. You might be unlucky and need a new one.

Thank you. I didn't know that. Searching seems to find a new controller costing over $100. That's more than i bought the whole thing for!

Anyway, i did a bit more searching, am i correct in understanding the controllers are made by Futaba? If so, would a futaba antenna work, for example, this one?

The honest answer is I dont know - im not familar with the tamiya transmitters at all. I might be inclined to take a punt on it for $8 and see what happens. I would think as long as the thread is the same and the internal wiring that connects to the antenna isnt damaged its probably good?

Fair enough. I might end up doing that. For now, i have emailed tamiyausa too see if that helps, and you gave me a pointer in what to search for. I thank you for that. Seriously, thank you.

Tamiya transmitter antennas are about 7mm in diameter where most others are 8-9mm.

Futaba T2DR Attack transmitters are the same size, probably because they ARE the same thing! They did(do) make their tx and rx for tamiya. 

Hmm, so if i just ask people what size the antenna is and find one at 7mm, you think its worth giving it a try?

Tamiya Adspec are very close to Futaba equivalents... dunno if they come from same factory but many parts can swap.

Look for donors from old Futaba Magnum or even stick radio like T2ER. Often cheaper than buying new antenna part at sparepart price.

The controller on ebay is about $30. The antenna has a listing for a little over $10. But i do not know which size to get. Here is a replacement part for two different Futaba parts: 1 2

If I had to gamble... I think we once stole the aerial off your type of TX for use on a Futaba MJ aka Magnum Junior which is model number 2PHKA... which the ANT13 says it fits.

That Adspec TX is also used by many other RTR sellers like HPI, Hobao etc before everybody went 2.4gHz. BiTD if you broke your aerial we'd pop down to LHS and everyone would have a big box down the back with preloved RTR TXes like these. Harvest the part you need, make a donation to LHS beer fund & job done.

Accumulated big box of RTR radio gear myself 5-10yrs ago, for giving away to friends' kids & newcomers. Can't find a single AM TX left around the workbench anymore today to measure from.

Worth the game if you're ready to spend. ;) 

have you considered you might not even NEED the full antenna? :P

if you're only playing in small areas, don't need full radio range - just do a range check (put car on brick with wheels off ground, walk away whilst twiddling the TX until it loses signal to operate).

Helps if you know length of antenna unbroken; scientifically speaking you might be able to get away with "half" the length. 

BiTD when we raced with AM radios, half the time we didn't even bother pulling it up. But then again it was with KO EX1 radiogear... those things were crazy powerful!

Well, i am ready to spend, perhaps, as required. If it my only avenue, it may turn into a game.

The truck does not seem to respond well, to the point where it is unusable. I just fixed the axle, maybe i made a mistake. But i think it has more to do with the antenna. I am no expert; i do not know.

Maybe i will try the brick test. With the antenna out, i can control it farther than i can see. The kids love it.

---

On a side note, i love the comment. :)

Just bear in mind the modern day economics of RTR radiogear ;) commonly damaged is either aerial or xtals. 

If you've gotta buy spares for both... costing $20-30ish... might as well go 2.4gHz by getting a FlySky radio set or maybe even a genuine Tamiya RTR 2.4 radio set from some kit splitter seller on fleaBay. 

2.4 don't have long antennas, safer with kids etc.

I must admit i do not fully understand what you just wrote. :(

Anyway, i emailed tamiyausa asking about the part, and the guy answered today:

Unfortunately, those radio systems have been discontinued for quite some time and we no longer have any parts for them; perhaps a Futaba antenna may fit?  Now I was able to locate an antenna in our office, but I don’t know if it will fit your radio or not?  Please forward your U.S. address and I’ll send it out at no charge, hopefully it will fit?

Well, i sent my address. So, we'll see. But, we now have a bit of confirmation that Futaba ought to work, and if this one does not fit, it may bring me one step closer to finding the one that does.

Oh cool, that's very nice of HQ to offer :) 

i meant if I had to spend money ~$30 to buy a new $10 antenna AND new frequency crystals $20... I'd suggest you spend that $30 instead on a new FlySky GT2 controller & receiver which runs on 2.4gHz. It's a drop in swap.

That makes sense now. :) Thank you for explaining it to this idiot.

It is indeed a nice offer. I plan to send him a letter when i receive it, whether or not it fits, to express my gratitude. It'll be short and sweet, but i must thank effort with effort and hopefully bring a smile to his face.