J@mes

Matchbox cars

A trip down memory lane for me recently when visited my folks & they’d got some toys out for my kids.

They included my Dads, mine and my brothers dinky, Tonka & matchbox cars trucks and vans from the 50s 60s 70s 80s & 90s wow what a stash! Now I want a sand rover (even more) so I can replicate this paint job:

Sand rover

Anyone else have a toy stash with some cherished classics in? 

• Like 4

This is my Tonka Beetle with my Blitzer Beetle. My Nan bought me this little car when I was about a year old. It started a lifelong obsession with orange VW Beetles.image.png.63eec5013ea2820608d33a98eb307a6b.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

Collected the Yesteryear Matchbox range for many years - have quite a few going right back to the 1960's.

Sweet! Have any influenced your Tamiya creations? 

I’ve been working to replicate a couple of my son’s Hot Wheels.

I have finished trimming the shell for this Silverado

D9D18CC1-E508-441B-AF62-A5EF8C326130.md.

I have the paint and some vinyl for the body. I am a way off finishing the chassis for it though...

• Like 1

Very nice! what model are you using to build it? 

Seems my 3 y/o couldn’t resist pocketing a little car whilst at play school. It’s a 1956 Buick police car which is something...

Police

I hope the other kid isn’t missing it too much :unsure:

58 minutes ago, J@mes said:

Very nice! what model are you using to build it? 

Seems my 3 y/o couldn’t resist pocketing a little car whilst at play school. It’s a 1956 Buick police car which is something...

Police

I hope the other kid isn’t missing it too much :unsure:

Nice find! I have bought loads of cars for my boy but that Silverado is one of his favourites - left behind by someone on an aircraft! 

The chassis is a stretched TL01. Or at least it will be, when I get the plastiweld out! I’ve some nice HPI wheels and tyres so I hope I can get it looking prettty close. Not looking forward to the decals though.

the first 3 i remember buying from a independant diy shop back in the early 80's with my pocket money i did use them but not that much as you can see from the condition.

the tesco set i had brought me around the same time time. it does convert to a service station and this set was used a lot as you can see but was never abused the plastic car inlay doulbles up as the roof 

IMG_20190409_174125.jpg

IMG_20190409_174520.jpg

IMG_20190409_174355.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, topforcein said:

IMG_20190409_174355.jpg

How strange. Of all the Matchbox cars I had in the garage, this is the one that my son elected to bring in doors and keep with his own cars...

281FC4FF-2899-4A15-A140-61F8DBF6B16C.jpg

• Like 1

have all my original hot wheels and case since i was 5-10 years old and then some

need to clean the china hutch again. This is where it All started................my grandmother knew this elderly gentlemen when i was about 9, his whole house was toys, wall to wall floor to ceiling. 

WqL3lI2.jpg

oQOMEL6.jpg

Cveikdd.jpg

there's even more in the garage.

• Like 3

Guys, stop! I don't need another thing to start collecting... though I'm pretty sure I have some of my old ones around somewhere...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, ACCEL said:

Cveikdd.jpg

there's even more in the garage.

I had a nameplate just like that! Though mine was for ‘Michael’. Who is that? Not me, only to my Mother...

4 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

Guys, stop! I don't need another thing to start collecting... though I'm pretty sure I have some of my old ones around somewhere...

Have you not seen the Hot Wheels HCT..?

6 hours ago, markbt73 said:

you better find them.:o                :lol:

i have not purchased any smaller cars in years, a lot of these friends and family purchased as gifts through out my half century tour here on planet earth.

Matchbox, HotWheels, Majorette etc... all so 8-bit compared to Japanese :P Tomica is where it's at ;) 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WillyChang said:

Matchbox, HotWheels, Majorette etc... all so 8-bit compared to Japanese :P Tomica is where it's at ;) 

Came here for this, thank you for saying it B)

I started collecting accumulating a small number of Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars in the late 90's when I ran a toy store. I really didn't want to collect them, but somehow there was more than a few that I ended up hoarding anyhow. I'm actually extremely thankful we didn't carry anything from Tomica, or I would have had another expensive habit on top of RC :lol:

I don't have very many of my childhood Matchbox cars, but somehow managed to retain the old late 70's carrying cases. Haven't added to the small collection in nearly 20 years, but my nephew definitely gets to enjoy them whenever my brother's family visits.

lHUtgWl.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, WillyChang said:

I’d not heard of Tomica before now :o

No waaaay... Tomy is HUGE, much huger than Tamiya even!!

20030119TomyTruck01.jpg

Tomy does Tomica diecast range, nowadays in regular range as well as better detailed higher priced versions. They do heaps more late models than Matchbox IMHO. 

(Hmm... above pic suggests I *do* have a 350Z in both Tomica & Tamiya! :P )

About 18yrs ago Tomy also did the BitCharG range, which was cool fun for desktop RC racing. :) 

20021115BCGG07Celicablack02.jpg

(oooh Celica too in BitCharG and Tamiya :D )

• Like 4

my hotwheels collection that i started about 15 years back is getting out of hand know tbh 

My very first Matchbox was the Racing Mini from Lesney Superfast era in solid bright red. Ended up with 2, think 1 was made in Emgkand and 1 made in Macau. This Mini sculpting was a tad odd IMHO... the bonnet was oddly long, like a Clubman extended length but it wasn't the Clubman's face. 

Must've gotten that when I was about 3 :wub: 

Looked at some modern Matchboxes recently (like recent decade) and spotted some Mini, in MrBean livery too. But it's an all-new mold :( looks totally different. This time they've sculpted the bonnet length more correctly... but the roof looks like it's had a chop :blink: c'mon, the little Morris Mini is meant to look tall & stumpy!

• Like 1

There is something about VW orange. The Blitzer looks really cool. Might have to incorporate it in my current build.I have a can of Halfords VW Orange!!!

2 hours ago, WillyChang said:

Looked at some modern Matchboxes recently (like recent decade) and spotted some Mini, in MrBean livery too.

I hope they fired the marketing department genius that thought a Mr. Bean tampo would be appealing to preteen boys and girls :wacko:

4 hours ago, WillyChang said:

No waaaay... Tomy is HUGE, much huger than Tamiya even!!

20030119TomyTruck01.jpg

Well there the inspiration for the next Comical series vehicle....The Tamiya Comical Skyline!

• Like 1

I had loads of Matchbox, Majorette, Hot Wheels cars, etc.  In fact looking through the pics I'm sure I'm getting some memories, I think I had some of those cars.

I went through a phase of turning my cars into wrecks, or painting them strange colours, so I think some of them found their way into the bin, but my parents kept most of them and I think I have them in a carboard box in my garage.  No doubt they'll come out when my daughter gets a bit older.  Actually, maybe I'll buy her some new ones to start with and wait until she's out of the destructive age before I let her have my old ones.

To me they were the ultimate toys (along with Lego) because they were relatively cheap and available everywhere, not just in toy stores.  There was always hope that my dad would bring me a new one home after school (even if they weren't always new.  I reached an age where I got to wonder about how often he "found" them...  I used to feel sorry for whatever kid had lost it.)

I'm sure it was playing with matchbox cars that turned me into such a petrol head and, in that respect, is about to break my heart now that the tide is beginning to turn against private car ownership...