El Dougo

XV-01 Help

There is so much love for these on the forum and with my friends recant agreement to turn his back garden into a rally cross track a purchase is immanent.

My current plan is to get the TC Pro version and add the off road parts tree. Considering it's use I have a small concern that I could miss out on the magic, should I be looking at a standard kit instead and going from there?

This is the shopping cart, anything missing?

Carbon shock towers
Alloy pulleys
L parts tree
Alloy steering arms and brace
Titanium screw kit
Low friction suspension ball
Carbon bumper support

I have some metal TA06 gears and some alloy suspension blocks on the shelf. The front blocks are C so are a little wider, I hope they won't be a clearance problem? The RR is an E which will give 3 degrees toe in V2.5 stock.

Thanks

The aluminum suspension arm mounts are the only other thing I would add to that list.  The stock ones can break free on a hard hit and it will strip the nylon part where the ball mounts into the arm rendering it useless.  The aluminum ones will keep this from happening. 

• Thanks 1

I'd just buy the standard kit and add the aluminium suspension mounts.  The stock kit is competent enough that you don't really need to upgrade anything unless you break something.

• Thanks 1

I think the only upgrade i was told was really good besides the suspension mounts were the universal joints for the front and replacement spacers for the NN4 ones but those seems to be impossible to find :(

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the help,

I hadn't seen @Scipunk recant thread which has usfull info in it and had another look at the instruction manuals. I decided to still go with the TC Pro chassis (wanted the shinny bits) and add back the standard suspension arms, blocks and hubs to gain the ground clearance back. It has cost a little more but I'm sure that it will be a better than my inital plan.

With the NN4 spacer can someone kindly measure it for me? If there not available ill get some made up.

I just pulled the trigger so this is what's on the way so far:

Tamiya 58558 XV-01 TC Pro Chassis Kit
Tamiya 54452 XV-01 Carbon Damper Stay Front
Tamiya 54453 XV-01 Carbon Damper Stay Rear
TamIya 51509 XV-01 L Parts – Wheel Liner
Tamiya (#54121) HT Servo Saver
Tamiya (#54311) TA06 Cross Shaft For Gear Differential Unit
Tamiya 18T Aluminum Pulley #54450 (x2)
Tamiya Carbon Bumper Support #84406
Tamiya Carbon Reinforced Front Uprights C Parts #54442
Tamiya Carbon Reinforced Rear Uprights E Parts #54443
Tamiya Carbon Reinforced Suspension Arms F Parts #54444
Tamiya TRF419X Low Friction Resin 5mm Suspension Ball #54747
Tamiya XV-01 Aluminum Steering Arms #54451
Tamiya XV-01 Aluminum Steering Bridge Set #54454
Tamiya XV-01 Aluminum Suspension Mount (XJ) #54379(x2)
Tamiya XV-01 Separate Suspension Mounts (1XM) #54377

Tamiya XV-01 Separate Suspension Mounts (1XJ) #54376
Yeah Racing Titanium Screw Assorted Set for Tamiya XV-01

Now for the body, I've been dribbling over the RS200 body that @ThunderDragonCy has on his Ra conversion. I wasn't perviously aware that they were available so are there any other hidden gems out there before I order one?       

• Like 2

- TC variant have spool at front, differetial is more advisable for gravel.

- XV-01 rear axle have longer wheel axle and shorter swing shaft, than TC. Also, IIRC, std XV01 uses 42mm front swing shafts, while TC uses 44mm. You'll also need shorter inner suspension shafts for XJ/XM mounts.

I think it'd bee easier to keep TC suspension and just cut it a little to get enough suspension travel. It's easy to get over 25mm ride height

• Thanks 1

The aluminum pulleys are a good idea too, other than that and the aluminum suspension arm mounts I haven't done anything else to my car and it's been solid with a lot of runs with a brushless motor and 2s lipo.  I have the reinforced belt still in the bag as the original stock belt is still going strong. 

the ultimate XV-01 thread can be found here:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally/400591-turtles-modified-xv-01-a.html

This guy has put his XV-01 threw it's paces and documented the entire thing.  He drives it hard too, in a local rally racing series.

• Like 1

Thanks dudes.... awesome :) 

I ordered a RCON body earlier, now what's the closest PS or similar paint to match this beauty?

Capture

@Honza That's very useful data, I'm keen to try it out with standard rally geometry so will persevere. I'm kicking myself a little for not noticing the difference in the pins and drive shaft lengths, at least it gives me excuse for another order. I was aware of the spool and wanted that over the gear diff although I will definitely being playing with different configurations over time. 

7 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

the ultimate XV-01 thread can be found here:

That should be keep me entertained for a while :) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, El Dougo said:

Thanks dudes.... awesome :) 

I ordered a RCON body earlier, now what's the closest PS or similar paint to match this beauty?

Capture

@Honza That's very useful data, I'm keen to try it out with standard rally geometry so will persevere. I'm kicking myself a little for not noticing the difference in the pins and drive shaft lengths, at least it gives me excuse for another order. I was aware of the spool and wanted that over the gear diff although I will definitely being playing with different configurations over time.  

That should be keep me entertained for a while :) 

That looks like PS63 Bright Gun Metal to me.

• Thanks 1

A couple of parcels arrived yesterday and a can of bright gun metal is on the way :)   First time I've ordered a chassis from RC Jaz and it arrived without a ransom note attached.

20190414_071831

Very impressed with the RCON body, it's mega sweet!  I'm now thinking that I need a light kit, if anyone can recommend one that has enough to get the pod shining it would appreciated.

20190414_072143

Thanks

• Like 6

A few more parts have arrived and I think the parcel with most of the bits is waiting at my parents house for me. I should get my mitts on it on Sunday and if all goes to plan I will start the build on Monday, should be an unusually happy Monday :) 

Now what's the score with the slipper clutch upgrade, my man math says that it is pointless for a XV-01 Rally Car. What am I missing?

Thanks

I want to see this build soon. Nice list of upgrade (bling) parts too. :)

Some progress today but another parts order is needed and I'm still waiting on the alloy NN3 spacer.

More TC Pro differences: The rear axles are too short, front suspension shafts are longer which would be fine but my OCD won't let it slip. I also need front kingpins and the 2.6 by 5mm screws to lock the arm pins in place are not included.

20190422_101430

Very happy with the kit so far although I'm just about to do the turnbuckles......... I hate building turnbuckles :lol:

• Like 2

Me too, hate them - I know they give adjustment but they are the worst bit of the build.

Standard ones = sore busted thumbs

Adjustable ones = never remembering which side has the LH thread, rounding off the tamiya spanner so it useless before its adjusted properly and having to apply so much torque on the now rounded off spanner to turn a thread inside the super tight ball cup that it pops off the ball. So you end adjusting it manually and getting sore busted thumbs.

Maybe im missing a key set of skills for building turn buckles but have had similar issues on every build except the avante and egress as this has metal ball joints with a proper screw thread inside.

• Haha 1

Re the adjustables: I hold the flat piece of the turnbuckle shaft in the middle with a firm set of standard pliers.

I then use flat pliers to twist the cup head of each turnbuckle ball cup piece by a set number of 180 degree turns. (Flat head pliers have no grooves or grips so do no damage)

A little kitchen paper inserted into the pliers aids in not damaging the plastic.

Normally works out relatively painlessly and fairly accurately. I always measure the resultant dimensions at the end to check both sides are equal. 

• Like 2

The plot thickens, hopefully I can do an hour or so building later.  If only I had known that the alloy spacers are from Eagle Racing when I ordered them from flea bay as the postage was three times the item price :rolleyes:

20190423_161323

I just placed an order direct for a selection of spacers (0.5,1, 2 and 3mm) with much more reasonable postage:  http://www.broadtech.hk/eagleshop/shop/ShopTop.aspx

Some progress, I believe all the parts to finish it are waiting at my parents place for me (There retired, great for receiving packages default_smile.png).

Note that I still haven't been brave enough to face the turn buckles :lol:

20190426_075812

• Like 1

I mentioned to a dude at my RC Club that I was building an XV-01 and he happened to have one that he only raced once, well:

20190426_142045

:)

• Like 4

Easiest way to do turnbuckles is to obtain 2 crosswrenches (not Tamiya) that fit the ballcups and the teeny tiny turnbuckle spanner :) 

DSC01905.jpg

the hopup grey low friction ballcups are a lot stiffer to screw in than stock black plastic

• Thanks 1

Many thanks @WillyChang, I think that info could be life changing :)  Today is the day! 

That's a very sweet looking shiny thing in the background :blink:

The old hpi cross wrench used to have a ball cap fitting, but it only fits Tamiyas small touring units. 

I sometimes use the Tamiya thread forming tool about 20% in to make the turnbuckles easier to start. 

No more turnbuckle pain :)

20190427_120615

I had one of those HPI cross wrenches in a box for years and hadn't given it a second look, ordered a second one today :lol:. I've been tapping the ballcups with a M3 screw, lightly greasing the turnbuckles and using the cross wrench to hold the ballcup and spinning with the turnbuckle wrench. Not as efficient as two cross wrenches but a world away from the pliers method.

• Like 1