El Dougo

XV-01 Help

Ahh I gotta get around to building my TC pro,  gotta order front one way, run locked rear diff... some hard slippery rubber tires.. yeah gotta get around to that. Come to think of it should finish the DB01 and DB02 builds and thread. Still in a mess from the Buggy damper thread...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The chassis is done and I have made a start on the body. 

20190428_123511 20190428_123718

I haven't done the math but looking at the aftermath of opened Hop-Up and parts packages I probably wouldn't recommend starting with the TC Pro and converting to Rally.  No regrets though as it's super sweet and I can't wait to get it running :)

• Like 3

First test run yesterday, it lived up to expectations :)

When I have driven the other car I will report back on the spool v gear diff but my initial impressions are that the spool is awesome. My friend took some footage so will ask him to upload it for me.

20190512_120635 20190512_204342

• Like 2

On 5/13/2019 at 5:37 PM, El Dougo said:

My friend was quick, no off road footage yet.

This thread has been great to read through. I've got an XV-01 to build, but haven't had the chance to start it yet. 

I've read the turn buckles are a nightmare though. Can you get those HPI  wrench's on ebay? Also, I think the ones in the normal kit (I have the Lancia Intergrale) are different to the Hop Up ones on the Pro kit. I wonder if you can buy those Pro ones seperately? They might be better to use.

I also looked at some of the Tamiya and Yeah Racing wreches, but they smallest they do is 3mm, and I think the standard turn buckles are smaller than that, they certainly look it!.

Also, did you fit the clutch?

Turnbuckles on 1/10 cars have a 4mm square or hex in the middle, it's fairly standardised. The blue aluminium tamiya ones are pretty nice to work with - just use an alloy wrench otherwise you'll scratch them up. I use one similar to this:
yoksd-tbl.jpg

3 hours ago, nbTMM said:

Turnbuckles on 1/10 cars have a 4mm square or hex in the middle, it's fairly standardised. The blue aluminium tamiya ones are pretty nice to work with - just use an alloy wrench otherwise you'll scratch them up. I use one similar to this:
yoksd-tbl.jpg

Thanks, I’ll look into picking one up! 

On 7/12/2019 at 2:26 PM, dc-arena said:

Also, did you fit the clutch?

I did get the extra one from flea bay. I also recently got the Tamiya damper pliers (42276), expensive but multi-function as they have a holder for the ball cups and look super shinny on the table :).

You can get the alloy turnbuckles separately in various sizes (54248, 54249........). It's also worth picking up the low friction ball cups to go with (low friction 5mm adjuster – 53601).  I believe that the stock turnbuckle use the 5mm adjuster, just not much meat on them.

No slipper clutch and I would go as far to say that it's completely pointless on an XV01.

Good luck with your build the more XV01 the better :ph34r:

2 hours ago, El Dougo said:

I did get the extra one from flea bay. I also recently got the Tamiya damper pliers (42276), expensive but multi-function as they have a holder for the ball cups and look super shinny on the table :).

You can get the alloy turnbuckles separately in various sizes (54248, 54249........). It's also worth picking up the low friction ball cups to go with (low friction 5mm adjuster – 53601).  I believe that the stock turnbuckle use the 5mm adjuster, just not much meat on them.

No slipper clutch and I would go as far to say that it's completely pointless on an XV01.

Good luck with your build the more XV01 the better :ph34r:

Thanks very much!

I’ve never seen those TRF Pliers before but I am a sucker for Tamiya tools (they really are a joy to use). I was thinking the other day it was weird they didn’t have a tool for assembling dampers without scratching them (or needing  paper towels!). And, they’ve got a section that can do the turn buckles.

So, If I got a set of the low friction adjusters and either size of the alloy turnbuckles, they’d be easier to install? Is there a preference on size? I have no idea really as no car I’ve built has ever used turn buckles. Actually, neither of the turn buckles are 5mm, they say 3mm, or is that measuring something else? 

3x23

3x33

are they the length of them?

10 hours ago, dc-arena said:

Thanks very much!

I’ve never seen those TRF Pliers before but I am a sucker for Tamiya tools (they really are a joy to use). I was thinking the other day it was weird they didn’t have a tool for assembling dampers without scratching them (or needing  paper towels!). And, they’ve got a section that can do the turn buckles.

So, If I got a set of the low friction adjusters and either size of the alloy turnbuckles, they’d be easier to install? Is there a preference on size? I have no idea really as no car I’ve built has ever used turn buckles. Actually, neither of the turn buckles are 5mm, they say 3mm, or is that measuring something else? 

3x23

3x33

are they the length of them?

3mm means the thread on the turnbuckle itself. The 5mm refers to the size of the ball on the rod ends. Basically the size of the part that fits in the plastic bit you screw onto the turnbuckles. 

23 and 33 are the lengths, but looking at the manual you need 1 pair of 3x23 (rear) and 2 pairs of 3x42 (front). 

42 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

3mm means the thread on the turnbuckle itself. The 5mm refers to the size of the ball on the rod ends. Basically the size of the part that fits in the plastic bit you screw onto the turnbuckles. 

23 and 33 are the lengths, but looking at the manual you need 1 pair of 3x23 (rear) and 2 pairs of 3x42 (front). 

Thanks! I think for the rear it would be the 54250 pack then (x2). Those look a lot easier to deal with than the standard ones, and they are blue which is always nice :)

So the low friction ball ends (53601), they are described as 5mm adjuster. Are these the right ones then, or do Tamiya make a 3mm version (to fit the 3mm turn buckles you mentioned)?

42 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Thanks! I think for the rear it would be the 54250 pack then (x2). Those look a lot easier to deal with than the standard ones, and they are blue which is always nice :)

So the low friction ball ends (53601), they are described as 5mm adjuster. Are these the right ones then, or do Tamiya make a 3mm version (to fit the 3mm turn buckles you mentioned)?

Ah, I think I may of got slightly confused there.

The 5mm is the actual ball that attaches to the suspension/steering arm etc.

Right?

11 minutes ago, dc-arena said:

Ah, I think I may of got slightly confused there.

The 5mm is the actual ball that attaches to the suspension/steering arm etc.

Right?

Correct! 

Thanks for your help. I assume pretty much all Tamiya use 5mm ball ends with 3mm threads? It looks that way from eyeing over various sites etc.

I'll get those parts ordered for the XV then, sweet.

• Like 1

Just looked at the XV01 manual online. Looks like

Bag C
3x42mm x2
3x23mm x2

Bag D
3x23mm x2

Bag E (for the steering servo by the looks of it)
3x42mm x1

Now I'm getting confused :lol:  Looks like your sorted though?

I am also a sucker for nice tools, the stand is a recant release :) 

20190716_173143 20190716_173015

• Like 3

Ohh lovely!

I think I am sorted. I’ll read over the instruction manual again before putting the order in. I think the amounts I listed are correct. 

Do you know off the top of your head how many pairs of each length I’ll need for the XV? 

Hi

I've also just picked up an XV-01 as my next project, and got the carbon reinforced arms (54444). On the label it says they "must be used in conjunction with items 54232 and 74086", which are an M3 0.5mm thread forming tap bit and a hand held hobby drill. 

Just wondering why? Did you (or anyone else) need them when installing 54444?

Cheers!

drill.jpg

bit.jpg

I use those arms and haven't had to tap anything. They are really hard, though, and I'd hate to try to run a Phillips head screw into them.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Hi

I've also just picked up an XV-01 as my next project, and got the carbon reinforced arms (54444). On the label it says they "must be used in conjunction with items 54232 and 74086", which are an M3 0.5mm thread forming tap bit and a hand held hobby drill. 

Cheers!

It is easy to screw into soft plastic, but much more difficult for harder things. I bought the thread forming tap and the handle. It serves no purpose for soft plastic, and can actually make things worse if you're not careful. It is helpful on glass reinforced plastic, and amazing with carbon reinforced plastic. Without it you risk some wrist pain trying to screw anything in. I really dreaded screwing things into fresh plastic before, but now it is a breeze. It is just a bit more time consuming.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Hi

Cheers!

drill.jpg

bit.jpg

You can getaway without it if you have a electric screwdriver, you’ll notice there is no relief on that tap, this is because it’s a thread “forming” tool not a thread “cutting” tool. So you can’t just order a $5 3mm tap, it’ll remove too much material and ruin the part by making the holes too big so the screws strip out. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Quailane said:

It is easy to screw into soft plastic, but much more difficult for harder things. I bought the thread forming tap and the handle. It serves no purpose for soft plastic, and can actually make things worse if you're not careful. It is helpful on glass reinforced plastic, and amazing with carbon reinforced plastic. Without it you risk some wrist pain trying to screw anything in. I really dreaded screwing things into fresh plastic before, but now it is a breeze. It is just a bit more time consuming.

Thanks, that makes sense. Presumably once you've used this tool to tap a thread you can use threaded / machine screws rather than tapping screws?