Sign in to follow this  
RestoModGod

My TA03RS Special Chassis TRF styled build

D18E94E3-5551-4EE0-A916-42926217924A.thumb.jpeg.c0b8c8f59cb963aed49d8de0c7947461.jpegSo here it is. And it’s kind of a mix up with 2 gray plastics pieces that bother me from the FRP kit but it makes it a chase to find the bits to make it an all black mostly tamiya car.  This car I didn’t care to make it purely tamiya I just wanted a quality hopup fulfilling all trf specs or better.  

I’ll list what she has already... I ended up with this cause a buddy owed me 100$ and I ended up spending tons of money ...

Tamiya TA03RS chassis kit w/out body 100$ 

GPM purple light weight kingpin 5$

GPM heat sink 20$ right here on eBay only place to get it 

Trinity Rear purple alloy camber arm (12$ even being honest about my accepted offer paid price there)

Chrome drift God Rims 13$

Drift God disc brake realism hubs 6$

Yokomo Firm super touring compound foam 12$

Futaba 3003 OEM tamiya servo 22$

HPI electronic speed controller 34$

Tamiya Steel shielded Ball bearing kit 40$

Tamiya CF and alloy post battery plate 38$

Tamiya Aluminum servo mount 12$

FRP conversion kit 110$

Tamiya CF special chassis plates 70$

Tamiya Red super rare 51$ from (RCmart not resale) aramid reinforced belt

Tamiya Flouresent stabilizer bars (got raped for 35$ on eBay but what are you gonna do I needed them for the build only one NIP still none yet again so there you have it)

Tamiya Super low friction tamiya Red/pink dampers 40$

Tamiya florescent spring set 10$

Tamiya hardcoated pinion gear 15t I believe might be a 16t 6$

Tamiya light weight counter shaft 20$

Tamiya Wide rear axle kit 20$

Tamiya urethane front bumper 25$

Eagle racing alloy turn buckles 30$ 

Eagle racing stainless steel suspension pins 20$

So over 700$ I’m willing to take half of that. 

update breaking 800$ 3/24/19

Eagle racing aluminum rear upright 25$

Tamiya light weight blue weight drive x2 40$

Tamiya adjustable front upper turnbuckle TL-01 10$  (Tried the TL-01 seems I’ll need to cut a good 1-2 mm off each side to make the them a little shorter for Ta03) 

10638FAA-22FE-4C76-87EB-CD3B2C466429.jpeg

• Like 1

Christ! First RED ARAMID BELT I've seen out of packet in many years!! :P

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WillyChang said:

Christ! First RED ARAMID BELT I've seen out of packet in many years!! :P

Yeah I have another one, they cost me 51$ from RCdamper or RCjaz.  I also have the blue one as well.  They are on eBay I planned to do a F and FS but I’m just not in love with them anymore. I’m about to list this on eBay.  This TA03RS for a raw 0$ start auction: 

any pulley configuration recommendations.  I am told for drifting and performance of this gear box (2) 17 would be best.  My question really is would I want larger 17T for top speed or 15T my assumption is the smaller pulley will have higher top speed. And for best top speed I’ll need matching pulleys...??? Correct me if I’m wrong. 

So my question is... to mix and match 17 and 15t pulleys ? 

Or matching 15,16,17t?

IS 17t larger pulley better for top speed? 

image.jpg

We've played with the Torque Splitter in the past, but only on 03F. With 15/17 (larger on driven gearbox) you get a bit more of "rear end push" out of corners... but doubt you'd notice much extra top speed from that slight (13?) overdriving. Could even be slower as you're only driving 2 wheels faster.

03F stock runs 16/16 whereas 03R runs 15/15 to allow using same belt, but the R's belt line has to clear over the motor. 

Don't know much about Short 03s, haven't built nor run any. :) 

03F was legendary in the early drift years but they've long been outdone by drift specific designs. 03Rs aren't too unconventional. How about twin motor 03? :P 

Some ppl still try though... got a 03F mule mocked up on workbench, trying for 18-20 front to a 10 rear. 

03 makes things harder by using pulleys with 5mm shaft; others mostly use 4mm. Then MST started making some alloy pulleys in 5mm so that's cool.

Then gotta find a belt to suit... there's not much belt adjustment available and any deviation you add to the belt line adds drag which I don't like. (03s pull the top side of the belt too, backwards. Don't ever add tensioners to the pull side, only to the return side.) Ideally need a custom belt but that's where that project has stalled so far.