Sign in to follow this  
KitTheRam

My Grasshopper II, 25 years later.

Hello,

I finally got round to building my grasshopper 2 re-release so thought I would join up and say hello.

In the mid-nineties my original grasshopper 2 Super G was the first expensive present I received. I loved it but eventual it stopped working.

Delighted to have this one up and running (shame it’s not a super G with my orange and yellow day-glow wheels) but still brought many memories back.

A few questions... what aftermarket wheels would fit? Is there anything I can do to make it go into reverse instantly once moving forward? I swear my old version didn’t have delay when engaging reverse (maybe the bigger motor helped in the super G?).

Pics of the old and new below.

Thanks, Kit.

987C8018-5B0A-4709-801D-E3D3413B5C6E.jpeg

B3C1DA59-C886-413A-A175-829D9DC6CB89.jpeg

489FE124-75EE-4E9E-9275-5DBC2343B97B.jpeg

• Like 4

The wheels are out there, search for Super Hornet wheels the front set seems more abundant than the rear, GL with the rears though, I haven't seen them available lately. 

Orange would be SH, yellow would be SuperG.

• Thanks 1

Welcome. And especially welcome to a fellow fan of the Grasshopper 2. I love that body. I searched a long time before I turned up some Super G neon yellow wheels. They are super rare and very expensive. The white version is available quite readily for the Wild One though. If you search for Tamiya part number 19335013 (front wheels) and 19335014 (rear wheels) you'll find them. They are larger 2" rear and 2.1" diameter front, so you can fit vintage 2" rear tyres and modern 2.2" 2WD slim fronts. I run 2" Schumacher Mini Spikes yellow on the rear with tubby inserts, and slim Mini Pin fronts, but Cut Staggers would probably be better all rounders (I had the minipins in the spares box). They are great on grass and astroturf, but will wear very fast on harder surfaces:

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Product_Category/Wheels_Tyres_and_Inserts/U6849.html

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Product_Category/Wheels_Tyres_and_Inserts/U6759.html

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Product_Category/Wheels_Tyres_and_Inserts/U6747.html

If you haven't already, get some bearings fitted to the front wheels (same size for kit wheels and the Wild One fronts so you don't need to double up) and to the rest of the gearbox. Will mean taking it apart again, but will make a big difference to run time, speed and general life of the buggy. You need 9 x 1150 size and 1 x 850. rcbearings.co.uk is a good place to get them. 

You can't go straight to reverse because modern ESC have a 'double tap' reverse, because the first time you pull the stick backwards you get braking, not full reverse. Does ultimately make the car easier to control.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Welcome. And especially welcome to a fellow fan of the Grasshopper 2. I love that body. I searched a long time before I turned up some Super G neon yellow wheels. They are super rare and very expensive. The white version is available quite readily for the Wild One though. If you search for Tamiya part number 19335013 (front wheels) and 19335014 (rear wheels) you'll find them. They are larger 2" rear and 2.1" diameter front, so you can fit vintage 2" rear tyres and modern 2.2" 2WD slim fronts. I run 2" Schumacher Mini Spikes yellow on the rear with tubby inserts, and slim Mini Pin fronts, but Cut Staggers would probably be better all rounders (I had the minipins in the spares box). They are great on grass and astroturf, but will wear very fast on harder surfaces:

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Product_Category/Wheels_Tyres_and_Inserts/U6849.html

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Product_Category/Wheels_Tyres_and_Inserts/U6759.html

http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/Product_Category/Wheels_Tyres_and_Inserts/U6747.html

If you haven't already, get some bearings fitted to the front wheels (same size for kit wheels and the Wild One fronts so you don't need to double up) and to the rest of the gearbox. Will mean taking it apart again, but will make a big difference to run time, speed and general life of the buggy. You need 9 x 1150 size and 1 x 850. rcbearings.co.uk is a good place to get them. 

You can't go straight to reverse because modern ESC have a 'double tap' reverse, because the first time you pull the stick backwards you get braking, not full reverse. Does ultimately make the car easier to control.

The new black edition of the racing fighter comes with red wheels in what looks like the same style, are those compatible?

Edit, just checked the RF Black has star dish wheels, though still curious about compatibility

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the messages so far.

I still have my old Super G but don’t want to raid it for parts as I would like to keep it as a time capsule of that time. 

Is it not the done thing to spray a white pair day-glow yellow?!

(I very new to RC cars as have been busy with the real size ones since my first Grasshopper 2!)

I didn’t know the new cars had a braking function via the ESC’s. Will give it a go.

Thanks.

Kit

1 hour ago, geniusanthony said:

The new black edition of the racing fighter comes with red wheels in what looks like the same style, are those compatible?

Edit, just checked the RF Black has star dish wheels, though still curious about compatibility

The rear wheels on the the RF are 12mm hex. You can run them on the GH2, but you need the Frog 12mm hex conversion kit. 

• Thanks 1

Welcome!

If you have something like Quikrun 1060, you can change the modes. 

F/B/R means Forward/Brake/Reverse.  F/B means Forward/Brake (no reverse).  F/R means Forward/Reverse only, no brake.  

655OQTu.jpg

• Thanks 2

Been a long time since I thought ‘nice day to play with the RC’. Defo think it needs a suspension upgrade one day. Out of interest is that the best upgrade to improve grip on turn in?

Thanks. Kit (more used to the lifesize racing cars)

5211417F-EF61-4A5F-BED4-2597C6541087.jpeg

• Like 1