Sign in to follow this  
Superluminal

Led wiring help with TLU-01

No no no, those have a resistor as well, you just need normal ones for the TLU without presoldered resistor (which internal electronics replaces resistors)

Just practice a little on the soldering you will get the hang of it.

I did.

Oh and i prefer matt lens LED for the orange and red ones looks better imo.

8TtmOMzyJlWYSL7V1otp3l1TyRC9acOxU9Dv2XbVIFdrLXi-qFC3KAu_h4k0-1CuEZqGFr1hNjKwmgZtsk6g4d6ahVMYxmdmX4hyBC_5wI4mjeN_oamQedaXa9Ng31hv5u_Yi0U8P8M68Xk_35yhelQ0i-VO4wJBgIyPN5E0Qsg8s9WAhg8Qq79guS5aiH7AaxKtDHdZbvwNWUOaXux8xX9Aoe5-hME9VgG5msSgKb5YUxj_Qi6JgIwId13D-f9MstMebGQyVCATrAmXk_SS3qW8y4J-oV1alit1TYzYLSEEF6TPlVNa40wxKO_Pz73YxgzVDpds50R3USeywUeMc5-wikXMNBuJhoyCyoim2-G3HyfBceOPBf573ZapDNi0kjGD4LmtrOza1MJ1r-f6tJSEbSVy_YErZxPkwnsegrw30TBE58euBoSGfVedlTq4HJs1bEErn0kxQbZcdXkWI9X9Xc-V-OG10Y3aAs2DE95Uu2u-1R50-kmgSEEkzKn2etfKZb7hS28_VH10ey-2mMNO6DO1yGwqHfLhJTJINsuVzBl29PLWn0LeKgV7TsiTnIq05Lx0Vc0bh2Y5nRpA0eB587iHpETUX-o84NkB4so__SoJPwcIdFspxH6Iy3WgbZEYCSVNH76-stR4lexJSCsYqBdDmafJ=w2163-h709-no

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Superluminal said:

These seem to be the only warm white pre-wired leds at 5v to 6v from the uk. The description says that 7v will will fry them. Does the TLU-01 light unit reduce the voltage or output 7.2v straight from the battery?

All LED bulbs require some type of voltage/current regulation, whether it be resistors, multiple bulbs wired in series, or a self-regulating power supply like the TLU01.

The TLU01 is a self-regulated power supply. The setup DOES NOT require resistors for the LEDs -- If you use those that are prewired with resistors, they will have too much resistance for the TLU01 to do its job. Doesn't matter if they are rated for 6V, 12v, or 24v, if the current rating is higher than your power supply is rated for, they aren't going to work.

If you look closely at the LEDs in the last link you posted, you can see the outline where there are resistors soldered inline. Maybe it's a stock photo, but I would make very sure whether they have resistors or not. Maybe you can ask the seller?

• Like 1

Ok, will look for some without resistors. It seems the most pre-wired ones come with them as the all seem to specify the higher voltages you mention (some upto 18 and 24 volts) There dont seem to be a great many options for warm white leds and I dont like the standard bluey white that normal white rc leds are.

I wonder if i have screwed up the ones I cut the resistors off of last night.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

I wonder if i have screwed up the ones I cut the resistors off of last night.

I'd say it's extremely likely you have, given that even the best of us have probably overheated and ruined a component at some point along the way. It takes practice, so you're going to have some failures. At least now you have some extra LEDs to practice with. ;)

I'm with you on the need for the warm LEDs over the "white" ones that are actually a rather unrealistic blue color. I've fab'd up more than a few sets of them for TLU's and opted to use standard warm LEDs that weren't prewired. If you want to save yourself the pain of soldering raw components, then I'd seek out whatever bulbs come both prewired and without a resistor.

Either way, you got this! B)

• Like 1

Thanks all - doesnt look like im going to find pre-wired warm white leds without resistors so will buy some loose ones and solder them up myself.

Im not going to let a small plastic blob of magic particles beat me.

• Like 1

Like I said, there will be a learning curve, but I think you got this B)

Are you going to do heat shrink as well? From experience, it makes the insulation bit a lot easier. A cheap heat gun or micro torch would be the only tool you really need.

• Like 1

After about five hours, lots of trial and error, burnt fingers and some choice language.

I did it!  

Thank you everyone for your help.

Resized_20190505_130928_2935.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1