USOM2000

Phoenix universal joints for Tamiya Hotshot and Boomerang

I found these at the local hobby store in a box of misc. parts.  They are clearly original from "back in the day".  Any Japanese speakers want to translate?

Any information or previous experience with these parts would be appreciated.  They look to be stainless and fit the vintage Tamiya Hot Shot series gear box dog bone cups, not the ReRe smaller cups.

Would anyone be interested in purchasing them?

-Ben

20190409_145547.jpg

20190409_145554.jpg

• Like 1

Have you tried to run the pics through Google translate? Usually pretty decent at Japanese characters.

I've not seen a pair of those ever, so they might be fairly rare.

Here you go:

"Universal stainless steel universal joint shaft installation manual Phoenix technology development (front part)"

"Universal stainless steel universal joint shaft installation manual Phoenix technology development (rear part)"

There were 12 pairs at the store.  I bought a set to see if they were indeed the right size.

They slid right into my boomerang.  They have a really nice build quality and there is almost no play in the universal.

I know that others have said that the originals from Tamiya were not so good, it would be interesting to see if anyone here has experience with these.

• Like 1

I would be interested in a couple of pairs......

1 hour ago, USOM2000 said:

There were 12 pairs at the store.  I bought a set to see if they were indeed the right size.

They slid right into my boomerang.  They have a really nice build quality and there is almost no play in the universal.

I know that others have said that the originals from Tamiya were not so good, it would be interesting to see if anyone here has experience with these.

Older Phoenix parts tend to be really good quality. I'd be interested in a set if I collected Hotshots or Boomerangs.

Not all stainless is non-magnetic. Often the strongest alloys have a lot of iron in them. Only marine-grade stainless is non magnetic.

FWIW, the translator picked out "stainless" on both packages.

I wish there were, but never have come across one. Somewhere in this forum there's an aftermarket hop-ups thread, but specifically for TA touring cars. I reckon there's even less info on the 80's stuff.