Sign in to follow this  
graemevw

Tble02 and technigold

I know the motor is in theory too low, but has anyone run this combo?

Wondering in real life if it works ok or not.

If you have tried it, was it all fine or did you have shutdown problems?

Should be fine; you don't say what car it's in - just avoid overgearing.

have run Technipower & TechniGolds with TEU101s in 4WD buggies and they've never complained

Would be in either a ta02 or a terra scorcher.

I guess the worst that can happen is thermal shutdown?

Yup, tamiya ESC thermal if they are over powered. If you are running in a Terra Scorcher I would suggest getting a small pinion, 13 or 14. That chassis has pretty tall gearing. 

9 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Yup, tamiya ESC thermal if they are over powered. If you are running in a Terra Scorcher I would suggest getting a small pinion, 13 or 14. That chassis has pretty tall gearing. 

Cant remember, but pretty sure it has the smallest pinion in it already, it has an orion 17x2 in it at the moment. Thinking it would be nicer all round with a technigold but the esc would have to move with the 17x2, probably into my lunchbox hahahaha

8 hours ago, graemevw said:

I guess the worst that can happen is thermal shutdown?

yeah, it'll just play dead & blink a few lights. Will right itself once cooled down & power cycled. No permanent harm afaik. 

With brushed motors a big factor with current draw is condition of the comm. A freshly trued comm wastes a lot less energy than a worn one bouncing it's brushes and arcing badly.

1 hour ago, WillyChang said:

yeah, it'll just play dead & blink a few lights. Will right itself once cooled down & power cycled. No permanent harm afaik. 

With brushed motors a big factor with current draw is condition of the comm. A freshly trued comm wastes a lot less energy than a worn one bouncing it's brushes and arcing badly.

I hadnt considered that but makes sense.

Ive not opened this technigold yet but i will strip and inspect before its run. Never trued a comm before either but i have a lathe (actual lathe, not comm lathe) so if it needs it im sure i can sort it.