Carrera124

Period correct steering servos for early 1980s?

Hello,

I am looking for information regarding steering servos that were used/sold in the early 1980s years.
Not just brand names, but precise items.
And it would be great, if some of you know about videos, that show them working in your vintage Tamiya (or whatever) RC cars from that time.

The reason why I am asking... I am planning to restore my 1:10 Carrera Structo RC car collection back into working order.
But Carrera would not have been Carrera, if they would not have done their own thing... they designed their own servos with unique housings that could be mounted "flat" onto the chassis baseplate.

Today, these servos are HTF, but meanwhile I managed to find enough to equip all my cars. Some are used, some are NOS and therefore were never used.
But from today's point of view, their speed looks like slow-motion.
So, I want to find out if this was just the state of technology back then, or if the special-shaped Carrera servos are just poor design.

carrera_rc_servos.jpg

carrera_rc_servos2.jpg

Probably the most common servos in the 1980's would have been Acoms brand.

Acoms servo product codes start with AS and a number - the lower the number, the earlier the servo.

Connector plugs are different to the more modern servos so to keep it authentic you would need to find a vintage receiver or change the plug.

Standard sized servos from the 1970-80s weren't too different to that of today, vintage servos from Acoms/Futaba/Sanwa/KO/JR/etc would be around 0.20s/60deg and torque around the 40oz/in mark same as a modern Futaba S3003  

Still use some of them today!! :) 

Biggest difference was inside the case, their control board would be built with discrete logic components vs modern control boards might be mostly 1 IC.

And they were pretty strict on diet too, wanting only 4.8-6.0V or they'd go up in smoke.