Grastens

Tamiya 57409 - Lunch Box Mini (SW-01)

30 minutes ago, Blista said:

Are they m-chassis Beetle wheels with racing truck tyres?  C'mon Tamiya.  Even just a new set of wheels can't be too much to ask.

I don’t get it either, but it seems to have become normal that Tamiya don’t make new model-specific wheels. Recycling of more or less (mostly less) suitable wheels is in my humble opinion done much too often. I fully appreciate that new molds are expensive, so for limited edition models where there isn’t any other model to share the wheels with, I wouldn’t expect Tamiya to make all new wheels, but for high volume models, I think appropriate wheels can be expected.

• Like 1

Wait a couple of weeks and they will release decent tires as a $$$ hopup. Same with the T3 Trike

• Like 1

18 hours ago, waterbok said:

Wait a couple of weeks and they will release decent tires as a $$$ hopup. Same with the T3 Trike

Tires, surely, but decent wheels, I doubt it. Btw, scale is now confirmed to be 1/24, like the measurements indicated.

On 4/30/2019 at 2:29 AM, Blista said:

Are they m-chassis Beetle wheels with racing truck tyres?  C'mon Tamiya.  Even just a new set of wheels can't be too much to ask.

Personally, I like their inclusion - it drives home the point of just how small this thing is. The tire tread will probably be more useful for the running these kits will likely experience, unless I am totally incorrect and an off-road series forms around it!

I understand the gripes about non-bespoke wheels, though.

• Like 2

Oh kool... I was hoping it could lean-steer whilst wheelie'ing! ^_^

I'm actually really taken with this!

I like the novelty of it, and the fact it's so small scale means it takes up less room etc. I'm glad it's looking like a proper kit and not 3 or 4 pieces that clip together. 

Cool toy in my book.

I am a bit surprised that it bears a Lunch Box shell. The chassis is more mini Heavy Dump than Lunch Box. I suppose the LB is more iconic though. 

On 5/16/2019 at 10:09 AM, WillyChang said:

Oh kool... I was hoping it could lean-steer whilst wheelie'ing! ^_^

It does lean-steer.. I’m well impressed myself.

Just seen the list price on modelsport. £70 is okay, perhaps a bit high for such a small scale but that's *hopefully* within my price range when they start stocking them. The £240 for the new portal axle beetle us too rich for my blood so that's that decision made for me! 

33 minutes ago, Hobgoblin said:

Just seen the list price on modelsport. £70 is okay, perhaps a bit high for such a small scale but that's *hopefully* within my price range when they start stocking them. The £240 for the new portal axle beetle us too rich for my blood so that's that decision made for me! 

The pricing is a bit odd, to my mind as least. The M-08, although appearing to be a proper racing model like it's FWD sibling, with full bearings, oil filled gear diff, universals, fibre reinforced plastics, etc, is only about half the price of the portal Beetle, which is firmly in the hobby bracket spec-wise and not really race worthy at all.

The Snack Box, while smaller than a Rising Fighter for example, appears a lot more complex, but costs about the same. 

• Like 2

Wow 240? So that's approx 120 for the 4 added portal axles. Darn.

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

The Snack Box, while smaller than a Rising Fighter for example, appears a lot more complex, but costs about the same. 

I do believe you've just nicknamed this model for all eternity...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, waterbok said:

Wow 240? So that's approx 120 for the 4 added portal axles. Darn.

I would think it will sell for a bit less in Germany (where the two of us live). The difference in price between the GF-01TR and regular GF-01 will likely be similar to the difference in price between the G6-01 and G6-01TR (in % of course).  With the current prices for the GF-01, G6-1 and G6-01TR, I think about 225 Euro is realistic.  For being "50% more chassis", the G6-01 is relatively cheap compared to the GF-01.

And by the way, as I needed some of the portals for my Hummer and M04-based VW Type 181, a couple of months ago I checked the cheapest sources for the portals as spare parts and it turned out that I could just as well buy a Dynahead, which I did. The prices for the spare parts might come down, but as for now, buying a Dynaheadt is clearly the cheapest way of getting the portals.

This is of course slightly off-topic, but you could buy 2 Dynaheads and convert 3 GF-01s to portal axles, essentially converting the Dynaheads back to Kongheads (G6-01, not G6-01TR).

Back to the topic at hand, has anyone got any shipping ETA dates for the "Snack Box"? This will be a great addition to my indoors fleet as we head into winter in the southern hemisphere.

Modelsport indicates an ETA of 12 August for the Snack Box. I guess they will ship globally at around the same time. 

Has anyone received theirs yet? I've ordered bearings for it - I'm curious whether they'll arrive before or after the car!

In the meantime, RC Driver has done one of his usual reviews (I call him Emmett, because EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!)

• Like 1

Saw this online, so some people must already have them to modify

48437735912_2dc7098b12_b.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

In stock at modelsport, just ordered ,2. :)

This was showing as in stock when I ordered, now they say stock is expected in October????. 

No explanation yet, poor show modelsport.

Have to say I find this whole battery/ESC malarkey a bit of a headscratcher.

I'm surprised there are so few direct replacement battery packs out there for the (hard to find and overpriced) Tamiya LF pack. And I don't really want a loose-fitting soft-cased Lipo pack in there. And then you have the ESC issue where Tamiya's own ESCs have a LiFe cutoff rather than a LiPo one!

Might go down the route of 4x NiMH AA's in the holder and a Hobbywing 1625 to start with. But why no battery holder in the box Tamiya? And why is it such an expensive spare part?

The car looks so "cool" though. Probably only usable on a flat surface, but steering wheelies (after option parts)... :wub:

Just ordered one of these after reading the thread I couldn’t help it :wub: