Grastens

Tamiya 57409 - Lunch Box Mini (SW-01)

On 8/27/2019 at 12:16 PM, nowinaminute said:

Are there any tyres that more closely resemble the originals without being way too big?

These Troll SRB / Hornet etc rear tyres resemble the LB original ones , but possibly still too big

s-l640.jpg

On 8/27/2019 at 1:16 PM, nowinaminute said:

Are there any tyres that more closely resemble the originals without being way too big? I guess the problem is that most of them will be for much smaller wheels than the 1/10 size it uses.

Ride made some nice mini tires, but i am afraid i scored the last sets at rcmart.

zuwodM1spbljh7X4xQKJADflvX4y_XQ6fHG79up-C45pufYKqwBGqPGBNM5PGRApht6yLk06g2BZGgeB_ewBH3cmufqy7sf1pP18_JXqfHsrarJKCI2KS2dIeTecmeeZPEX7ILsvoBpcX4r6xTq29E7lH8vma65EMlA7dXfMBzxxu6IBXhtX_Kg96xnIMsaZ1LUaLyjmfcCrQoXjKc9ZDHXg8KKyrmxDsXBVhb2Ph_qNmcKiWoFseNKqtHPr-n20a_ViUParczyHFUejpqLrTBFAzL3iUviPWM5tT_kTuh67C8amS1qP5RM1LSN1joJWkTjp_MCOKQMKGaz76GXniSIh2dekswkDesvtWW_qD-3fgYfy9VOm_4LkDVVCu6P9QFHWlpAHisjMVTovylgie4CyxNOgbSWvwiXeGsqlPLlj6i8KdlteISBg-x7pbgJ61nWqkEn_sqfZmBLzi22Hka-DHLUTi4hidwyqDRtpoVwMRSUYGTM5isUbFmfbM8aepnYiR9c2sdnxCiN_9QNhEqFL4ogb2iholFbBvHSu_XyiKIcDE2gRJmb5SeE4qzowxuCu5LGZQey2opQD6JV2XOXTmq73Z7DTVNg_1e8Bo5u0V4VoOv9gkSYGy8-WzWF6AK6xCBvB5W_S7XEKfEprte69vPlOGwfXwgOjvzpWHqDgZclnlCa3jjw=w1438-h1067-no

and yeah did some window cleaning, two more to go. :)

qwLaOJJyPGCnHUSIxwVKwbflrZxDYbXw-YJmQhjz

• Like 7

Those look fantastic - I was thinking I might also try some Latrax Teton tires - they look about the right size... Mine should arrive this week (fingers crossed!)spacer.png

• Like 1

Finished up mine yesterday... is there any point glueing the pins in the axle shaft under the wheel hexes? I just skipped this step... 

Overall I'm totally impressed how this little guy performs... it's a real room cruiser.

4 hours ago, TDanny said:

Finished up mine yesterday... is there any point glueing the pins in the axle shaft under the wheel hexes? I just skipped this step... 

Overall I'm totally impressed how this little guy performs... it's a real room cruiser.

Totaly missed that bit, doesnt make sense imo. But those axles, that fit to the hubs is really wobbly.

30 minutes ago, waterbok said:

Totaly missed that bit, doesnt make sense imo. But those axles, that fit to the hubs is really wobbly.

Yes, not a tight fit even with bearings installed. I guess the pin glueing is for the newbies not to loose them while assembling the wheels... maybe.

I love this little thing so far. The only thing I don't like are the upper arms. They are so soft that they bend before the springs really compress. Like the good old CC01 trailing arms. Those would be better from a hard ABS plastic material. I bought the hop up springs and the hard springs are really useless... 

Beside all this, I don't think that it's a toy grade RC. Seems quite durable. It's another Tamiya classic... pure fun :)

• Like 1

I didn't glue anything either.

There is a lot of toe-in with the front end, so much that I have a hard time making it go straight.

@waterbok Nicely done windows! Did you remove the paint on the body? Also, what were the exact tires you purchased? Even though sold out, could you please provide a link to them?

7 hours ago, Kamika007z said:

I didn't glue anything either.

There is a lot of toe-in with the front end, so much that I have a hard time making it go straight.

@waterbok Nicely done windows! Did you remove the paint on the body? Also, what were the exact tires you purchased? Even though sold out, could you please provide a link to them?

RIDE 3052 Mini Off Road Tire Trucker

Yeah i used Tamiya paint remover and a thousand q tipps to carefully remove the paint.

for the toe in adjust the steering links, make them slightly longer

After only a few days of living room quest and shelf patrol the rear springs almost flat out... they compressed more than 50% so changed them to the hop up hard set. Front springs seem to be fine the factory way... 

I have a strange feeling that tamiya saw this problem at the beggining... 70% of the cars weight lays on the rear suspension. Thats why the hop up springs were released so early. Hope that the rear upper arms will take the beating.

Any other experiences?

Im useing 4AAs... 

My battery pack 6 cell 2/3 AF with XT30 plug

SBSRdbSzzZxITn9YWGYlahX4OW93NYrkqwaBv3b-nI2iZFPCpnPMlt1m_PkTj0KK2gHwLfwGUpWr95-lHhLfZVZCGNPbgg3YKXFqA1cRBYm5tk3Ibk9CEfIrSb8AzOXjgsuzP_YVvgVGG-x5WWt6fVP2y2MNvn82_50IJcKxQG6DF_UzdjxtRTLIxayhz3ypXRg8bY6YYloWBrddrvAio1zTsddYv71w_XUAwaxeGLmKTttfsh0X-Wc8xMYKg2prv5XeJyZ9Dc0jd5ZmWDrJ6KJsPtvmXz6bFmgeEP0VmKW5enKRhMkk2hlGDFuZ9b3yFKLVkTUGpZOudPtGuRWkcq0-mKNg5t2ula-1XLCdB81-O8mp32NXNcMdqWu2PY69k-ldIn2mvqZgdXfbx7DUojrSUF_xIR1mcmPgTh0fAHvYuWgxW3v1CiN21GgqR4EB_bCTSHAND-ua0CB8EQMMFFjC-F4gaT0yhbgyNjtI16mqpdDTQe6p_E9AhvK0xClNUC71lVwa4qbiF_odXsG6rkgHp_Il0k-naF622kczffTRWdwJi0H9to_w8QPx81S_OSfhPROoFTBxcNhEySyh-hMwyAsuiQRYVQNFu9ZnI8m_TvcDZEwytBJZwnB9G3irI2B5wPu7HRWTMqtcYNllU8baTs0pZk_pS4QCioIsHCpXXsywfOl_KTE=w1261-h1067-no

Enough room for 8cells ;)

lM6799XGWCN_E8txTd8Alw5fnpuqklZ323zSLnzHQrvlj5-B143neDVMIPlYMb1groyHA7ScJZAZ7eFUkkUJkYg8tRnCj9Indyq91pDOaQZk9t-zzXVU8q02TcVqQgzM3xr23S-0BbLZae72-LvMBO1tnchLeZhglEPEvyQE5Evo-4Lk2EKN6ySmvs7RpyWLpN_6pxXdWuSyi127YG3HMOjj1w8gGG2fVZqOyVYzzVGftUkSI2J4yid9-imC2jhoLaDE2OA9BzUutR-5Xwt3WPtTLyOSpEx8hs_Uj1Wej1ADKECZe-bWNRTJgyzLFG0o9uqcPFcGk4k4Sakg5dcrdWjdwQzJH36-MsLsapUzQGQJAUveRMhk4xQFQHMYFRLMnwmStDVupwtS2_geCWuQDSlz7Ng5JzR_iXtr_klwvjRP08UQ5Id_eRpvOyEaHKJes75vyrMj8M7MCXcNAnXX3EHF5ZhftZPcx2w_hRA_Va1TyrCKCls0ibHET0TLOJJ6DL2rutoCrj32_nd7t5LZICJqoToOr-zxI6_Oj4nWctq_s4RVC_r6iRuEVWrHyrCUZj2__mQW5-ou5Xe2Y3QLwSIhqpkC5npZXeepuOJra4CR0IsJJ5YtbCduhy5gGL3I58H9hQsXPFfn2c3KzWfwGGLajsQPMmp8qZ-0E4C74g4SoEZ3F_ozNy0=w1012-h1067-no

Hey @waterbok I don't believe your images (or links) came through.

I ended up installing the upper arm connectors tonight and on the instructions, it's asking to extend the tie rods to a specific length and after I meticulously extended them, all the wheels look off. Even with the upper arm connectors were installed. Lots of toe in, but I suppose that straightens out because the rear 2x grub screws were lifted up/unlocked...

Well it's finally arrived... at the hobby shop.

I'll go and pick it up tomorrow morning. :D

I just started building one up.  I bought the bearing upgrade but I'm not sure it matters for the internal gears.   The gears fit loosely on the shafts which are supported by the bushing/bearings on the ends, the bearings do not actually press into the gears like on larger models.  It looks  like the gears will spin on the shafts easier than the shaft will spin in the bearings.  Should we use some thin ca to attach the shafts to the gear when using the bearing upgrade to prevent wear on the internal surfaces of the gear?

1 hour ago, aconsola said:

I just started building one up.  I bought the bearing upgrade but I'm not sure it matters for the internal gears.   The gears fit loosely on the shafts which are supported by the bushing/bearings on the ends, the bearings do not actually press into the gears like on larger models.  It looks  like the gears will spin on the shafts easier than the shaft will spin in the bearings.  Should we use some thin ca to attach the shafts to the gear when using the bearing upgrade to prevent wear on the internal surfaces of the gear?

Forget the ca. The spinning will always happen on the internals with the less resistance. So maybe the gear will spin on the shaft for a little while but after the gears will pack up with a little grease and nylon particles, the bearings will imidiately take up the job. Better to keep everything free and let it spin free.

Fun build: I think it clocked in at 6 hours (with a fair few distractions along the way). A few points to note:

• It steers way more to one side than the other (yes, my servo is centered, I've checked end points, etc etc, I wonder if it's a mechanical limitation),
  • The Latrax Teton tires are brilliant (IMO) - slightly wider, slightly taller (only by 1-2mm) but the stance is 1000% better. I never even unwrapped the stock wheels & tires,
  • This truck is slow, really slow, even running a 2S LiPo - I'm thinking I'll get the "sport tuned" motor and the 4WS kit at the same time,
  • In hindsight I wish I'd dyed the chassis black - it really does look odd with a bright grey chassis,
  • Make sure you put the stickers on the front bumper in the correct order - otherwise there's odd overlap, and
  • Make sure your ESC doesn't have a very large footprint - I fit a Traxxas XL5 in there, but had to snap off the tabs on the side.

20190916091549_IMG_7157.thumb.JPG.3e2b6529e7aa35d09125ae6eed3ee63f.JPG

20190916091505_IMG_7154.thumb.JPG.b94fa6185a74cf5ab328fec43808a54b.JPG

• Like 3

lsear2905 LOVE these wheels. Looks amazing!!

I put the sport tuned motor in and I'm running the 4 AA battery pack and I'm not able to drive it properly, it just stops and goes bit by bit, most likely due to not enough power.

Could you advise on which battery pack you're using with your Lunchbox?

I have to say that I have found myself extending out the turnbuckles out a bit more than the manual suggests to straighten out the wheels since it doesn't look right with the odd toe-in. Did anyone else do this?

Also, with the 4 wheel steering installed, the rear toe in is so messed up, based on the instructions provided are so off that turning while driving straight makes the car wobble BADLY.

I'm hoping if spare bodies and decals are going to be hitting stores sometime soon... anyone know?

31 minutes ago, Kamika007z said:

lsear2905 LOVE these wheels. Looks amazing!!

Could you advise on which battery pack you're using with your Lunchbox?

I have to say that I have found myself extending out the turnbuckles out a bit more than the manual suggests to straighten out the wheels since it doesn't look right with the odd toe-in. Did anyone else do this?

Also, with the 4 wheel steering installed, the rear toe in is so messed up, based on the instructions provided are so off that turning while driving straight makes the car wobble BADLY.

I'm hoping if spare bodies and decals are going to be hitting stores sometime soon... anyone know?

I'm using an old 1500Mah 2S from a Feilun FT009 RTR boat (just Google 'Feilun FT009 battery').

My wheels seem fine - I'm nervous about the 4WS upgrade now!

I think the fun will be finding a different body that fits, but doesn't look too small/big.

Thanks lsear2905, really appreciate it. :)

Post pics on the 4WS kit once you have it installed. I and others would be curious to see how it goes as well as how it drives.

The clear body is announced on tamiya's site so it will be out soon:

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/truck/rc-body-set-lunch-box-mini/

One problem I found so far is that there is a mounting hole on the motor mount which the motor don't overlap so the dirt can get in the gearbox...

I temporary sold it with some grease but I think it needs some thermo tape to protect.

Those Teton wheels do look great...

8 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

It steers way more to one side than the other (yes, my servo is centered, I've checked end points, etc etc, I wonder if it's a mechanical limitation)

Mine did this. Sorted by removing nearly all the toe in at the front and lengthening the servo to steering connection. I have about 3mm showing between the two ball cups. It even tracks straight in reverse now. 

Yours looks ace with those wheel and tires and funnily enough I was looking at mine thinking should I spray the chassis black. 

I ordered two set of Tamiya Race Truck silver rims and planning to use the two set of rear deep dish wheels from them. Also ordered a Tamiya TS-31 Bright Orange spray to paint them. I like the color of Joeling's wheels and how they match the flash stripes orange on the body. I also like the Traxxas wheel but they are a bit too expensive in my LHS. We'll see.

Quick update: I LOVE this little truck.. 

@Kamika007z has put me off the 4WS kit though... especially because I'm paying AUD$30 for 2 pieces of plastic, almost 25% of the kit price!

13 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

Quick update: I LOVE this little truck.. 

@Kamika007z has put me off the 4WS kit though... especially because I'm paying AUD$30 for 2 pieces of plastic, almost 25% of the kit price!

Easy enough to make the 4ws kit.  2 sticks with 3mm holes 92mm apart.  I designed and 3d printed  pair, but could easily make out of any 2-3mm sheet material.

tamiya-54898-sw-01-2.jpg

tamiya-54898-sw-01-1.jpg

sw-01-4wsbar.stl

IMG_E0002.JPG

• Like 1