Grastens

Tamiya 57409 - Lunch Box Mini (SW-01)

2 hours ago, WillyChang said:

c608139_1.jpg

Reckon would that be a pair of 18650 cells in there?

Thinking of fabbing my own Li-ion pack.

I've no idea but the dimensions of it will definitely fit the Lunchbox. 

ok built mine far enough that now i've got a battery cavity to measure from :)

Yep 2x 18650 fits in there perfectly, they sit in the bulge.

Length of compartment at first notch is perfect for naked cells +wrapping. Second notch gives 6mm extra length... maybe i'll try getting some "protected" cells to fit within that.

(18650s can be bought with "protection", there's an extra circuitboard stuck onto the end to prevent overdischarging etc... afaik)

• Like 1

I’m considering buying the AA adaptor as part of the build rather than functionality 

anyone got one? And best price they found?

JJ

On 10/6/2019 at 1:34 PM, Kamika007z said:

@joeling,

Looks great!

I built mine about a month ago and while it came out better than I thought... the body that is... I forgot to remove the top clear plastic laminate after I cut the body!! :rolleyes::o:lol:

Still looks good though...

IMG_20191006_082629.jpg

I also did this and 4 stickers in I tried to reposition one and the clear coat came up - rescued them all in the end 

JJ

1 hour ago, Problemchild said:

I’m considering buying the AA adaptor as part of the build rather than functionality 

anyone got one? And best price they found?

JJ

I'm using mine with the Tamiya AA adaptor. Bought it from Tamico.

10 hours ago, Problemchild said:

Price ish?

is it the same

one that suits the dancing rider?

JJ

Yes, it is the same one. Costs 15.09 Euros

https://tamico.de/Tamiya-Batteriehalterung-4xAA-T3-01-Dancing-Rider

But you can also buy an old receiver battery holder because it is the same 4 AA style and fits perfect. You only have to change the plug to Tamiya connector. Don't ask me where, but I guess almost every LHS has it. That one looks like this on the attached picture:

s-l300.jpg

On 10/22/2019 at 1:40 PM, Problemchild said:

I also did this and 4 stickers in I tried to reposition one and the clear coat came up - rescued them all in the end 

JJ

Did they come off of it easily?

On 10/23/2019 at 9:53 AM, TDanny said:

Yes, it is the same one. Costs 15.09 Euros

https://tamico.de/Tamiya-Batteriehalterung-4xAA-T3-01-Dancing-Rider

But you can also buy an old receiver battery holder because it is the same 4 AA style and fits perfect. You only have to change the plug to Tamiya connector. Don't ask me where, but I guess almost every LHS has it. That one looks like this on the attached picture:

s-l300.jpg

IMG_1568.JPG.da47ab85687633ddfe83af45a1576363.JPG

Would these be any good. Old school recharghable receiver packs. I also used them to power a 1/72 scale Clyde Puffer. It plugged into the receiver and the motor used the BEC circuit. Still got it in the cave somewhere. All you would need to do is change plug then youve got a rechargeable pack

2 hours ago, Busdriver said:

IMG_1568.JPG.da47ab85687633ddfe83af45a1576363.JPG

Would these be any good. Old school recharghable receiver packs. I also used them to power a 1/72 scale Clyde Puffer. It plugged into the receiver and the motor used the BEC circuit. Still got it in the cave somewhere. All you would need to do is change plug then youve got a rechargeable pack

Looks like it would do the job! I guess it depends how good the cells are too and how much the motor pulls. It's only a small motor so the current draw shouldn't be much. A little spike when you first set off but pretty low otherwise I expect.

A 370 motor probably wont pull much more than 10 amps when stalled so in normal use you'd probably be looking at less than half that. And it's not like old nicad and nimh packs could supply 540 motors with full current and people managed fine so I dont envision any issue.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 8:39 AM, Problemchild said:

Yeah not too bad - easier than the body shell itself

if they are all on then I’d leave them though 

JJ

Thank you!

did some extra measuring :) looks like 18650 2s is best fit

AAs can only fit 4 in the hole even with just cells not the AA holder, there's no room to fit a 5th. Remove the plate on too and there's headroom for 6 or 7 AAs. You'd need 7 to keep up with lipo 7.4V.

Tried a little Traxxas 1/16 lipo pack, fits in hole but too long - longer than the 2nd notch. No point anyway as 2x 18650 offers similar capacity & voltage. 

Also, I noticed that if you upgrade to the faster sport motor, batteries won't be able to fully support it whereas it would stop and go when trying to go full throttle, so you will need to use a LiPo.

We finally have an image of part #54920:

spacer.png

I'm so tempted to build up a second one...

8 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

We finally have an image of part #54920:

spacer.png

I'm so tempted to build up a second one...

Nice but clear parts are always more fragile... but I like the red parts coming with the RTR version. 

On 11/2/2019 at 7:13 PM, TDanny said:

Nice but clear parts are always more fragile... but I like the red parts coming with the RTR version. 

I've heard this, but not sure if it's a constantly re-iterated rumour or actual fact. I've searched Google and cannot find a single image of a cracked clear chassis.

Has anyone got any first hand experience with this? I have a clear chassis for my Konghead G601 but the only thing stopping me from installing it is a serious case of CBF!

• Haha 1

On 11/3/2019 at 11:39 PM, lsear2905 said:

I've heard this, but not sure if it's a constantly re-iterated rumour or actual fact. I've searched Google and cannot find a single image of a cracked clear chassis.

Has anyone got any first hand experience with this? I have a clear chassis for my Konghead G601 but the only thing stopping me from installing it is a serious case of CBF!

It seems to be a fact based on a lot of other Tamiya users mentioning this here and there on other forums as well. Clear plastic parts are more brittle and breaks more easily. I think they're more for show than bashing around. 

7 hours ago, TDanny said:

It seems to be a fact based on a lot of other Tamiya users mentioning this here and there on other forums as well. Clear plastic parts are more brittle and breaks more easily. I think they're more for show than bashing around. 

So no-one has *actually* experienced this? Sounds more like an urban legend to me. Definitely worth the risk then!

• Like 1

OK, so this thread doesn't get hijacked by a conversation about clear parts, I've started a separate thread here: 

Yes. I'm using the sport tuned 370 motor. Works well and packs a punch.

It doesn't run well and stutters if you're using batteries, so you will need to use a battery pack.

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2019 at 5:41 PM, WillyChang said:

c608139_1.jpg

Reckon would that be a pair of 18650 cells in there?

Thinking of fabbing my own Li-ion pack.

I got mine from Ali express

And I paired it with the above battery from modelsport  ;)

JJ