Grastens

Tamiya 57409 - Lunch Box Mini (SW-01)

13 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

A while ago I proposed that the second vehicle to be released on this SW01 chassis should be the Dump Truck, but instead they released the monstrosity that is the MadMud. I tried doing some 'Photoshopping' this morning (yes, it's terrible Photoshopping) and came up with these:

The idea is that even if it has to be much taller to accommodate the electronics it doesn't look ridiculous, and the actual tray (?) can be enclosed (fake rocks on top) to allow room for ESC, receiver, etc.

I looks a lot better than the Mud Mad! I kind of expect Tamiya to release the VW T1 on the SW-01 chassis, but even as a fan of aircooled VW's, I think I would rather prefer the Dumo Truck.

• Thanks 1

The dump truck imho is a better bet than the mad thing. In fact I think it’s better than the mini LB (sorry LB fans)

• Thanks 1

Absolutely love this little car - and use it inside all the time - especially now the weather’s really wet.

I have the four wheel steering bars, bearings, Hop Up springs (the hard set feel identical to the standard ones to be honest....) and the hop up drive shaft cross pieces (to stop the axles pinging apart whenever it bumps in to something.... a serious design flaw by Tamiya - evidenced by how quickly they released the hop up...).  I’m using a Tamiya ESC and the Carson 1700 Li-Ion battery, which last for absolutely ages.

I also had to toe-in almost exactly the same as the photos of other owners in order to pull steerable wheelies - So straighten up the front, and toe-in the rears. 

I also fitted a sport tuned motor - and I found this completely ruined it though! It became completely unmanageable - SUPER fast but it’d flip at the slightest steering input, impossible to wheelie-steer and generally crashed - a lot.... it also span the dog bones... (I suppose the rear anti roll bar is completely slackened off having followed the hop up instructions for the rear steer.... no one seems to have the yeah racing CVDs in stock). 

I’ve actually gone back to the standard motor and am now able to enjoy it again (although it does feel rather defeatist...). 

Has anyone used the torque tuned motor - as this is the official hop up for this car... be interested to seen if anyone’s managed to get more speed and maintain usability (and also whether it's just me being rubbish not being able to use it with the sport tuned motor!). 

As an aside, I find that feathering the throttle assists with steering when it’s popped a wheelie. Really love this little RC car!

I have helped my son build the Mud Mad - which actually imo is great - as it rolls over well being almost symmetrical end to end. We have the torque tuned and it seems reasonably drivable to me. have the upgraded cross pieces, bearings and steering bars as well. 

Have ordered the LB mini for my other son in prep for Christmas along with 2 sets of the Yeah drive shafts - which i think i will put one set each on the rear. have also got the upgraded diffs on the way - wondered whether to put on the rear only too - expensive but maybe be required......

• Thanks 1

Love these 1/24 comicals. MudMad gets my vote too Love these daft wee burgers

Anyone had the opportunity to try the new "castor" type wheelie bar? I'm still not happy with the steered wheelies and they claim this makes them better:

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/54980/index.htm

PS This truck still surprises me with with how much fun it is even in terrible conditions - went out on a muddy local path yesterday and it still managed to get through, and still wanted to pull wheelies at any opportunity!

Unfortunately went swimming up to its waist when my daughter was "unsighted" :huh:. Going to need a strip down and clean. Good thing thing the electrics are (mostly) up high!

PXL_20210208_143347019.jpg

• Like 1

Yep. I’ve fitted it and it’s a massive improvement. I have old parque flooring which is kind of loose and has massive gaps(!) plus lino and short carpet. Makes a bit difference and should have come as standard.

I also find feathering the throttle helps with wheelie steering.  

I did try the tamiya sport tuned motor - and wow. Speedy. But totally unmanageable. It kept flipping over on me, so I went back to standard. And I’ve modded the drive shafts. Used the hop up joints, but then also dremelled a bit more off the dog bones so the grub screws can secure against flat parts and this has stopped them spinning (super glue and araldite wasn’t enough). 

It’s one of my favourite rc cars I think - and definitely gets the most use, as it’s an indoor car for me!

• Like 1

Wow, I'm happy to see this thread and to see this little mini has such a faithful following.  Seems like a good get to let the little ones try RC?

1 hour ago, Exit13 said:

Wow, I'm happy to see this thread and to see this little mini has such a faithful following.  Seems like a good get to let the little ones try RC?

Fun for young drivers, definitely. It's small and not too fast and surprisingly nimble.

But worth saying that it is not an easy build (small parts and plenty of assemblies that need three hands!). And finding a suitable battery/esc combo can be a bit of a chore. I'm using a small Turnigy Lipo and a Hobbywing 1625.

• Like 1

They’re not cheap once you’ve added a few hop ups.... you “need” the rear wheelie castor hop up plus four wheel steering bars. And MUST either get after market CVDs or use the tamiya hop up cross joints for the standard drive shafts or they fall apart every tine you crash it/it falls over.

Battery-wise - I’m using a carson 1700mh nimh which fits really well (I’m in the uk and it’s readily available...)

Just built mine, and now printing some simple 4 wheel steering bars I designed.

20210208_185425.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Golden said:

They’re not cheap once you’ve added a few hop ups.... you “need” the rear wheelie castor hop up plus four wheel steering bars. And MUST either get after market CVDs or use the tamiya hop up cross joints for the standard drive shafts or they fall apart every tine you crash it/it falls over.

Battery-wise - I’m using a carson 1700mh nimh which fits really well (I’m in the uk and it’s readily available...)

I completely disagree - I've run mine on 2S LiPo since day one, have bigger wheels & tires from a Latrax Teton, and have not broken a single driveshaft. I'm sure I'm jinxing myself, but this car has been wonderfully reliable.

Just ordered the new wheelie bar ;)

**** you all !!

I love how lovely the car is put together 

I don’t drive mine much but it looks amazing on the shelf 

JJ

54 minutes ago, lsear2905 said:

I completely disagree - I've run mine on 2S LiPo since day one, have bigger wheels & tires from a Latrax Teton, and have not broken a single driveshaft. I'm sure I'm jinxing myself, but this car has been wonderfully reliable.

Got any pics of it with those wheels?

JJ

On 9/16/2019 at 8:52 AM, lsear2905 said:

Fun build: I think it clocked in at 6 hours (with a fair few distractions along the way). A few points to note:

• It steers way more to one side than the other (yes, my servo is centered, I've checked end points, etc etc, I wonder if it's a mechanical limitation),
  • The Latrax Teton tires are brilliant (IMO) - slightly wider, slightly taller (only by 1-2mm) but the stance is 1000% better. I never even unwrapped the stock wheels & tires,
  • This truck is slow, really slow, even running a 2S LiPo - I'm thinking I'll get the "sport tuned" motor and the 4WS kit at the same time,
  • In hindsight I wish I'd dyed the chassis black - it really does look odd with a bright grey chassis,
  • Make sure you put the stickers on the front bumper in the correct order - otherwise there's odd overlap, and
  • Make sure your ESC doesn't have a very large footprint - I fit a Traxxas XL5 in there, but had to snap off the tabs on the side.

20190916091549_IMG_7157.thumb.JPG.3e2b6529e7aa35d09125ae6eed3ee63f.JPG

20190916091505_IMG_7154.thumb.JPG.b94fa6185a74cf5ab328fec43808a54b.JPG

On 9/16/2019 at 8:52 AM, lsear2905 said:

Fun build: I think it clocked in at 6 hours (with a fair few distractions along the way). A few points to note:

• It steers way more to one side than the other (yes, my servo is centered, I've checked end points, etc etc, I wonder if it's a mechanical limitation),
  • The Latrax Teton tires are brilliant (IMO) - slightly wider, slightly taller (only by 1-2mm) but the stance is 1000% better. I never even unwrapped the stock wheels & tires,
  • This truck is slow, really slow, even running a 2S LiPo - I'm thinking I'll get the "sport tuned" motor and the 4WS kit at the same time,
  • In hindsight I wish I'd dyed the chassis black - it really does look odd with a bright grey chassis,
  • Make sure you put the stickers on the front bumper in the correct order - otherwise there's odd overlap, and
  • Make sure your ESC doesn't have a very large footprint - I fit a Traxxas XL5 in there, but had to snap off the tabs on the side.

20190916091549_IMG_7157.thumb.JPG.3e2b6529e7aa35d09125ae6eed3ee63f.JPG

20190916091505_IMG_7154.thumb.JPG.b94fa6185a74cf5ab328fec43808a54b.JPG

@GeeWings I really cannot recommend enough the purchase of a set of Latrax Teton tires  for your SW01...