Sign in to follow this  
TwistedxSlayer

TB01/Levant Help

Hey guys and girls.
You know its a wierd problem if I'm asking for TB01/Levant help and advice.

Basically. The rear bevel and crown wheel are skipping teeth. And I've no idea why.

I've swapped the front diff and bevel gear into the rear and guess what.. It's doing the same thing.

So I'm basically super confused on what the issue can be. The Levant uses the same chassis and diff houses but the bevel gear that drives the crown wheel is 13t opposed to the 15t that is used in the TB01.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

So I'm basically super confused on what the issue can be. The Levant uses the same chassis and diff houses but the bevel gear that drives the crown wheel is 13t opposed to the 15t that is used in the TB01.

I didn't realize there were two sets of bevel and crown gears available for the chassis :blink: That's a really interesting piece of trivia for me. I guess the Levant probably needed a taller diff gear to make up for the larger wheels.

So presumably the issue is the 13T bevel won't mesh with the standard diff? Or is there something I'm missing? Just use a 15t bevel with the standard TB01 on road differential, no?

6 minutes ago, OCD said:

I didn't realize there were two sets of bevel and crown gears available for the chassis :blink: That's a really interesting piece of trivia for me. I guess the Levant probably needed a taller diff gear to make up for the larger wheels.

So presumably the issue is the 13T bevel won't mesh with the standard diff? Or is there something I'm missing? Just use a 15t bevel with the standard TB01 on road differential, no?

No as the 15t bevel gear doesn't fit on the prop shaft end.

The 13t bevel meshes perfectly with the diff. The diffs are the same in the Levant and TB01 both use a 39t crown wheel.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

No as the 15t bevel gear doesn't fit on the prop shaft end.

The 13t bevel meshes perfectly with the diff. The diffs are the same in the Levant and TB01 both use a 39t crown wheel.

Pics of the prop shaft? I know there's a splined and non-splined versions.

I'm going to go and have a look at the manuals to familiarize myself ;)

edit: not finding a manual online for the Levant since it's a RTR :(

Is it possible that since the Levant has a slipper clutch sandwiched in between the prop and gearbox, there's significantly different dimensions as compared to the TB01?

No slipper fitted to the Levant. Only the Super Levant.

Prop shaft is a thin steel thing with drive cups either then that fit into the bevel gears. It's not splined and it is D shaped but slightly different to the optional carbon fibre or alloy prop shaft that you can get for the TB01

Yeah, I'm starting to learn some things about the Levant... Your thread from 2017 was helpful :lol:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

No slipper fitted to the Levant. Only the Super Levant.

Prop shaft is a thin steel thing with drive cups either then that fit into the bevel gears. It's not splined and it is D shaped but slightly different to the optional carbon fibre or alloy prop shaft that you can get for the TB01

TBH it sounds like there's something different about the the Levant prop shaft that isn't compatible with the TB01 15 tooth bevel gear.

Just to be clear, this is a Levant chassis you are working on? Or a TB01?

9 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

The Levant prop will defo not fit the 15t splined TB01 bevel gear.

Defo working on the Levant chassis

So you're using the TB01 D-shaped shaft then?

30 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

It's not splined and it is D shaped but slightly different to the optional carbon fibre or alloy prop shaft that you can get for the TB01 

So I'm reading this as D-shaped like the TB01, but a different D-shape?

It's a slightly different sized D Shape. The 13t will fit both the Levant D and the TB01 D. The 15t will only fit the TB01 D not the Levant D.

The Levant D is the standard D that also comes with the Super Levant

30 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

The 15t will only fit the TB01 D not the Levant D

This is the problem then? I mean, if you're trying to fit the 15 tooth bevel to the Levant prop shaft, you yourself stated that they aren't compatible :unsure:

So to be perfectly clear, I've gleaned that:

1. You have a Levant that the rear diff and bevel are not meshing properly
  2. You are using the original Levant prop shaft
  3. You are using the Levant 13 tooth bevel that is compatible with the Levant prop shaft?

Sorry I haven't been any help so far, but I'm having trouble understanding exactly which components we are even discussing. Hopefully someone else who has explicit knowledge of the Levant can step in and help B)

• Haha 1

If the levant uses a 13t pinion vs the TB01 15t pinion, then I’m struggling to understand how they can both use the same diff casing. I would have thought the levant would have diff casings that put the pinion/shaft closer to the diff gear. I’m keen to be corrected on this though!! 

It would make sense if you put a 13t pinion and levant shaft in a TB01 casing designed for a 15t pinion that it would skip due to improper mesh. But you say the casings are identical? 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Juls1 said:

If the levant uses a 13t pinion vs the TB01 15t pinion, then I’m struggling to understand how they can both use the same diff casing. I would have thought the levant would have diff casings that put the pinion/shaft closer to the diff gear. I’m keen to be corrected on this though!! 

It would make sense if you put a 13t pinion and levant shaft in a TB01 casing designed for a 15t pinion that it would skip due to improper mesh. But you say the casings are identical? 

I considered this also, but if you have a look at the Levant pics posted in the other thread, you can see a closer view of the gearbox. To my eye, the Levant gearbox looks almost identical to the TB01 version. It's really perplexing.

Maybe it's possible that the difference is taken up by just shimming-out the pinion? The difference between 13 and 15 teeth isn't that much, and the bevel shape might make it even easier to adapt it in this manner. Also might explain why the Levant shaft isn't backwards-compatible with the 15 tooth pinion.Thoughts?

@TwistedxSlayer -- Have you checked to be certain you have the correct Levant prop shaft? Is the Levant shaft the exact same length as the TB01? A smaller beveled pinion would need to be closer to the ring gear, which would possibly require slightly longer prop shaft.

Man, it sure would be handy having a manual right now. Not offering a one just because it's a RTR is poor form on Tamiya's part :unsure:

1 minute ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Hopefully I've managed to get the whole 'manual' up

Ha, "manual"... Sadly just an exploded diagram ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm only seeing the page that I posted for you.

1 minute ago, OCD said:

Ha, "manual"... Sadly just an exploded diagram ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm only seeing the page that I posted for you.

I edited my post with a few more pictures 

• Thanks 1

Well, I see what maybe looks like the TNS setup for the prop shaft and stub?

(edit: I see the list now)

• Like 1

For comparative purposes, here's the prop shaft setup in the TB01. It's really quite different from the TNS and Levant:

CvdQ43C.png

Well here's something interesting. The gearboxes of the TB01 and Levant have different part numbers:

Levant 0004192: https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/7-digit-spare-parts/rc-gp-a-parts-43522/

TB01 50800: https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/nitro-engine-spare-parts/rc-tg10-gear-case/

Tamiya does this sometimes and the parts are the same, but I'm unsure in this case.

Do you have any pics of what your chassis setup looks like currently?

Jeez this is such a rabbit hole :lol:

Here's the bevel gears, naturally different part numbers for the 13 and 15 tooth versions

Levant 9804384: https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/7-digit-spare-parts/rc-gp-bevel-pinion-gear-43534/

TB01 50630: https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/nitro-engine-spare-parts/rc-pinion-ring-gear-44002/

What caught my eye here is Tamiya has apparently designated the 13 tooth pinion as "GP", which to me indicates that the bevel was originally intended for the TG10 or Mad Bison, both of which use the TB01 platform AFAIK.

I'm just unclear if the Levant uses a different gearbox than the TB01, but dead certain that the prop shaft assembly is entirely different in every way.

So does all of this line up with what you have there? Like do you have all original parts that came with the chassis? Or are you using TB01 hop-ups or parts of any kind?

The Mad Bison using the 13t pinion would make perfect sense with it being a 4x4 like the Levant. I'm 99.999999999% that they are the same gearbox cases. I know this as I've got a brand new TB01 case I can hold next to the Levant.

I need to fire more pictures up.

• Thanks 1