73robb

Reliable esc for dirt tuned motor

Evening all,

I need some advice....

I currently have a LRP Ai runner v2 with a dirt tuned motor, but although I have steering working the motor is  now doing nothing. I’ve reset the Tx & Rx (core cr152), checked motor wires & brushes but no joy, just a steady green light on the esc. So I’m thinking it may have developed a fault (or could it be an issue with battery voltage? Running 4500 nimh)??

Assuming I cannot resolve the issue, can anyone recommend a fairly cheap reliable esc to run brushed motors on Nimh? I’m want something that is plug & play, or at least is easy to setup.

Cheers

Rob

Well, the standard for brushed motors is Quicrun 1060.  

It can run hotter motors than Tamiya TBLE02S.  I just ordered 4 more for 44 USD.  Each costing under $11 isn't too bad.  These don't have "Hobbywing Quicrun 1060" branded on it, but I think they are the same.  I have 2 different brands with the same specs and design (even the diagrams on the instructions were the same, just in different orders).  So, my guess is that these are surpluses made for other brands.  If you want the "Hobbywing" branded on it, you can find one for about $16.  

If you would like Tamiya, TBLE02S is sold by kit breakers on ebay.  Often for about $23.  The manual clearly says "up to Sport Tuned," though some had reported issues.  I'm thinking it has a lot to do with gearing and how exposed the heatsink was.  For faster motors like SuperStock BZ, you'd need Quicrun 1060. 

TBLE02S should work fine for Dirt Tuned.  TBLE02S could possibly have issues with Sport Tuned only if the gearing is too tall and the ESC doesn't get any air to cool.  If the gearing is low, and ESC is well ventilated, it should run Sport Tuned just fine.  TBLE02S cannot run SuperStock.  Hobbywing 1060 can run them all.  But what's cool about TBLE02S is that it's a dual ESC.  It can run brushed motors and also sensored brushless motors too.  If you are thinking to expend to brushless, get Tamiya TBLE02S.  If you are staying with brushed motors, I'd get Hobbywing 1060.  

Below are three TBLE02S' and one Hobbywing 1060 (on the right--it's smaller and waterproof).  I soldered XT60 connectors, but almost always they come with Tamiya connectors.  

7THwfoz.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks @Juggular

i have no plans to move to brushless and I don’t race, so I’ll have a look at the 1060. I keep seeing it mentioned but wasn’t sure what it could handle, 

Cheers

Rob

• Like 2

The 1060 is rated to as hot as a 14 Turn motor, although I have one running a 13 turn double no trouble atm, 2 cell lipo and correct gearing.

• Like 3

Isn't the dirt tuned a 27T motor, so within spec of the TBLE-02S. 

I like the TBLE-02S and run them in all my bashers. I run either kit silver can/torque tuned motors or brushless motors and these allow me to swap stuff around easily. Personally I only buy brushless motors, they are cheap and require no maintenance and you can choose your speed pretty much with them. 13.5T is a great match to most Tamiya's 

Timetunnel models on ebay usually have them for about 15 pounds delivered anywhere in the world 

• Like 2

1060's manual says down to 12t motor (at 7.2v).  At 7.4v, it might be down to 14t.  

1060 should cover all the brushed motors (practically speaking).  I don't even want anything other than silver cans for my M05 and M06.  For them (and for Dirt Tuned), 1060 is more than enough.  Even Super Stock BZ, TZ, RZ are 23t motors.  If one needs anything faster than that (especially for buggies), it's time to consider brushless.  

For a buggy or a monster truck, brushless can really shine. TBLE02S is nice in that it leaves that door open (if you are so inclined someday, of course). 

• Like 2

On 4/12/2019 at 11:07 PM, 73robb said:

Evening all,

I need some advice....

I currently have a LRP Ai runner v2 with a dirt tuned motor, but although I have steering working the motor is  now doing nothing. I’ve reset the Tx & Rx (core cr152), checked motor wires & brushes but no joy, just a steady green light on the esc. So I’m thinking it may have developed a fault (or could it be an issue with battery voltage? Running 4500 nimh)??

Assuming I cannot resolve the issue, can anyone recommend a fairly cheap reliable esc to run brushed motors on Nimh? I’m want something that is plug & play, or at least is easy to setup.

Cheers

Rob

Have you got the Core Stick controller? might seem like a silly question but if you have - have you accidentally switched the throttle hold switch on the right hand side? as if set to 0% in the settings effectively will kill all throttle input? -

Plus if you play around with the settings on the Transmitter - ABS etc. If you have the Tamiya TBLE-02S then it can require that you - re-run the stick travel setup on the Tamiya ESC as per the instructions. 

• Thanks 1

I will concur with the Hobbywing WP 1060. Dirt cheap and super reliable. It's my go-to ESC for anything brushed. I run 7.6 volt LIHV stick packs in my brushed stuff now, and it just takes it in stride. If more is needed, go brushless with the BL1060 ESC.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 5:24 PM, gizard said:

Have you got the Core Stick controller? might seem like a silly question but if you have - have you accidentally switched the throttle hold switch on the right hand side? 

Not a silly question at all - yes, I had knocked it 😳. I hadn’t even thought to check that, though I had gone through the menu to see if had put it on through there.

thanks

Rob

I'm a huge fan of the Hobbywing 1080. It's a little spendy, but dead reliable and adjustable for different applications. It's also very attractive, if that matters.