Sign in to follow this  
Futura

TA03F Recommission?

I dug this out recently, the chassis has been used with a different shell. Here is the body & chassis re-united after 20+years.

4ZwjeFsl.jpg

uiYgKPEl.jpg

Bog stock chassis complete with plastic bushes.

u7HeaVnl.jpg

Underside showing very little in the way of battle scars.

FWerdhLl.jpg

I'm considering putting it into use, on the cheap!

Bearings will be the first thing fitted and I have a spare TBLE-02S that could be used.

It has an Acoms AS-12 servo fitted, will this do for a bit of car park bashing? Or bin & replace?

Does anyone have an opinion on what motor to use, stick with the silver can or go hotter if these chassis can cope?

Any opinions glady received.

Ta.

• Like 1

Wow, that has hardly been used at all! Nice find.

A basic servo should be fine. These don't need a lot of steering torque. And if it were me, I'd stick with the silver can, and consider a newer chassis (TT01/02 or something) if you want to play with big horsepower. Not because this won't "take" the power, but because it's a lot harder to find TA03 parts if something goes wrong and you break something.

• Like 1

I’d not really considered the spares problem with this, definitely something for me to think about. Appreciate your thoughts.👍

Plenty of 03 parts around still, no need to worry. T made some 03s in recent decade too like the DriftSpec kit so they're still current(ish). Who knows, might get a revival eventually like TA02 is enjoying now.

TA03 chassis will tolerate a crazy amt of power but you'd want better handling to keep control. Mild mod or brushless around 4000kV be sweetspot.

Are you still using kit 16 pinion? After bearings, get a bigger pinion say 19-23 and even the chromecan gets up to decent speed.

Not much hopups needed, plastic 03F runs pretty well as-is. If you're gunna start changing chassis parts, just go buy a TRF version instead... and then discover it handles pretty much the same :) 

I like CVD/universals in my runners. Easy to find for 03, just look for CC01/CrossCountry units - same thing.

TRF shocks are good, threaded body preload adjustment is very handy.

Std servo works fine. No need to change unless you want faster speeds.

And loosen that belt tensioner. No need for tensioner adding drag until the belt slips... that belt never slips anyway.

• Like 1

Spent an hour this afternoon fitting a bearing set and sport tuned motor. I’ve gone to a 20t pinion as per the kit instructions for sport tuned, kit standard was 14t. The tensioner has been backed right off, cheers WillyChang. I’m now looking for pics of this type of chassis for ideas where to place the electrics. Check out these wonderful bushes, now in the bin!

545C4301-46EA-4F0A-A9A9-858DFEAD44C1.jpeg

Don't throw out bushings, stash them in your toolbox for emergencies.

1510, 850 & 730s aren't easy to find these days :) 

1150 plastics... I use them on the bodyposts for support under the lexan, stops the supporting clip from tearing thru. Or drill them laterally for a crosspin or grub screw. 

• Like 1

Bearings & motor fitted, along with spare esc and radio gear. I'm interested to see how it behaves, the tyres are not cracked but they are rock hard.  I shouldn't read too much into it as it's not really been run much, and not totally comparable,  but it has a lot less slop in the steering /suspension than my tt02b. Enjoyed just messing about with it, so that's all that matters.:D

ZshAYFY - Imgur.jpg

• Like 1

Be very wary of tidy cable routing ;) that reverse running belt is great at chomping thru wires. Get your ESC further away and protect any cable that goes anywhere near the belt with spiral wrapping. Shrinkwrap ain't chomp proof enough.