Sign in to follow this  
DK308

TRF503 hubs?

Hi all

It's been a while, but back again.

A non-local shop has offered me a pretty nice deal on a TRF503 kit. It looks really nice, and I have been considering it for some time. I have two questions regarding this build.

Does anyone have the Tamiya part numbers for converting the 10mm hexes to 12mm? I've been searching online, and I get so much different information on this, but none of it is really clear.

Anybody got any good suggestions for bodies that will fit this model?

Thanks guys

The 12mm hex included with the DB01RRR set isn't available as a spare, but based on my experience with running 12mm hex front wheels on a DB01R, I just drilled out a regular 12mm hex to a 5mm hole all the way through and used that. Any 4.5mm wide hex would do it. The Tamiya official rear 12mm hex is 54669. Again, it's possible just to drill out a regular hex and use that though. 

According to the guys on TRF Off Road on Facebook, most of the current 4wd race bodies will fit. There's a guy running an Aerox CAT L1 body. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

The 12mm hex included with the DB01RRR set isn't available as a spare, but based on my experience with running 12mm hex front wheels on a DB01R, I just drilled out a regular 12mm hex to a 5mm hole all the way through and used that. Any 4.5mm wide hex would do it. The Tamiya official rear 12mm hex is 54669. Again, it's possible just to drill out a regular hex and use that though. 

According to the guys on TRF Off Road on Facebook, most of the current 4wd race bodies will fit. There's a guy running an Aerox CAT L1 body. 

Thank you for your reply. I'd definitely prefer not to drill it out. as I would be concerned about it being off center.

What about part number 54668? Is that a 10 or 12 mm hex? It shows to be a front fit for both the RRR and 503, and is essentially the front version of the 54669. This leads me to believe it to be a 12 mm as that what's on the RRR, correct?

I'm really surprised that they don't sell the OE hexes as spares. I mean, people lose them, they break etc. What do they expect drivers of RRR rigs to do, get another RRR?

Pretty sweet if the Schumacher, AE, Xray, Tekno etc. bodies fit.

18 minutes ago, DK308 said:

Thank you for your reply. I'd definitely prefer not to drill it out. as I would be concerned about it being off center.

What about part number 54668? Is that a 10 or 12 mm hex? It shows to be a front fit for both the RRR and 503, and is essentially the front version of the 54669. This leads me to believe it to be a 12 mm as that what's on the RRR, correct?

I'm really surprised that they don't sell the OE hexes as spares. I mean, people lose them, they break etc. What do they expect drivers of RRR rigs to do, get another RRR?

Pretty sweet if the Schumacher, AE, Xray, Tekno etc. bodies fit.

Just had a quick look and it would appear they are the correct 12mm front hexes. The db01rrrr manual online doesn't list those part numbers so they must have released them after the kit was launched. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Just had a quick look and it would appear they are the correct 12mm front hexes. The db01rrrr manual online doesn't list those part numbers so they must have released them after the kit was launched. 

Sweet.

That was all that was holding me back. I have so much 12 mm stuff and I just didn't want to "start over" with a bunch of 10 mm stuff.