nowinaminute

Ever gotten verbal abuse off random kids/strangers because of RC?

I have to say I usually get on fine apart from one run in with the local busybody "get off my land" type but just coming home from work a minute ago I got some cheek off 5 kids who must have been about 11 tops.

As I was walking up the hill to my street I could see them sat in the middle of the road at the top, when I got closer they started calling me weird etc then one of them said "were's your RC car today?" and another said something like "zomgz he has a toy car that's weeeeird, even I don't have a toy car" and stuff along those lines.

Obviously I'm not traumatised but it just annoys me that kids that age are already hanging around mouthing off strangers. It's because they know **** well you won't dare so much as raise your voice these days. Kids like that tend to have the awful parents that either don't care or take the kids side too. I know for a fact one of them has a "street pharmacist" for a father and I'm pretty sure the other two are children of "career benefit recipients" 

I just didn't know how to respond. And any kind of attempt to take the moral high ground would have just given them more ammo and long gone are the days when threatening to call the police or worse still the dreaded "I know your parents" was enough to send kids running in terror.

So frustrating! I wasn't perfect as a kid by any means but I was never rude to strangers and if I was, I would have got a clip round the ear, a good telling off or my parents WOULD have gotten a phone call. And in each instance, my parents would have given me a second telling off!

It's just so frustrating.

In the end I just said "Well, we can't all be cool enough to sit in the road playing with gravel. Maybe one day I'll be lucky and get to hang around in a gang where everyone has the exact same clothes and stupid haircut"

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I have never had any abuse or anything negative said about my cars. To my knowledge that is. However I am almost completely deaf, so for all I know people might have been laughing in the background. I don't mind though. I find plenty of other people's habits rather weird, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if some people find mine weird too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No abuse from kids, but that might have something to do with my appearance when I'm my leisurely relaxed self out of the office (Bald, pretty fit, a few tattoos etc.) Kids usually avoid confrontations with me. I do get grief on a rare occasion from other adults, but that's more due to "noise" etc. But mostly I get compliments from other guys who are in their late 30's like me, and kids are usually just interested in what I'm doing.

Spend a few hours in the gym each week, get some ink and put on the dark shades :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Unfortunately yeah, not normally from actual children. More likely teenagers or the parents of smaller children. 

I try not to let it stop me from doing what I enjoy. I generally find if I'm with someone else nobody bothers you but if you're a lone driver it's fair game for somebody to belittle or scold. 

Only welcome one was one older guy who came up to me once and rather excitedly told me all about his mardave mini he had way back when. 

Also yes,  tattoos and a shaved head was a great way to sit alone on public transport :)

• Like 1

Can't say that I have. In fact, the only negative responses I've ever gotten were once from a father who couldn't understand why I wouldn't let his son drive my (nitro-powered, 50-mph-capable, fresh-out-of-painting) RC10GT and accused me of being "a lousy role model" because I was being "selfish," and once from a couple of 20-something guys who lived in the same apartment complex. They were interested, until they asked me about the cost ($400 or so) and then seemed to get angry with me for spending so much on a toy, which seemed like a weird reaction. I asked them, "Do you have a video game console? How much was that?", and that seemed to shut them up.

Oh, and one older "gentleman" who was another neighbor got mad at me for "throwing gravel all over the place" with my Clod Buster. (I was in the completely empty parking lot next door, being careful NOT to disturb the gravel, and no one else had a problem with it; I think this guy just didn't like to see anyone having fun.)

Most of he time, it's just curious onlookers, reminiscence ("I used to have a Frog") and/or the "big three" questions.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

So it’s not just me who has a shaved head and tattoos?! :lol: although i am by no means large and intimidating. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markbt73 said:

Can't say that I have. In fact, the only negative responses I've ever gotten were once from a father who couldn't understand why I wouldn't let his son drive my (nitro-powered, 50-mph-capable, fresh-out-of-painting) RC10GT and accused me of being "a lousy role model" because I was being "selfish," and once from a couple of 20-something guys who lived in the same apartment complex. They were interested, until they asked me about the cost ($400 or so) and then seemed to get angry with me for spending so much on a toy, which seemed like a weird reaction. I asked them, "Do you have a video game console? How much was that?", and that seemed to shut them up.

Oh, and one older "gentleman" who was another neighbor got mad at me for "throwing gravel all over the place" with my Clod Buster. (I was in the completely empty parking lot next door, being careful NOT to disturb the gravel, and no one else had a problem with it; I think this guy just didn't like to see anyone having fun.)

Most of he time, it's just curious onlookers, reminiscence ("I used to have a Frog") and/or the "big three" questions.

Yeah I'm glad to say that's my experience most of the time including one guy who literally squealed and asked if he could pick my lunchbox up like a girl might do if she saw a cute puppy lol.

I had one guy who was 20 something going on 50, moaning about he was on nightshifts and then made ridiculous claims about owning vast plots of public land and eventually a sob story that my super loud electric RCs made his dogs bark and it was causing issues with his neighbours, all of it made up BS. The truth is he's a stuck up busybody who derives pleasure from moaning like his father.

I think the thing that annoyed me the most with these lads is that they are usually polite and act interested but because they had a girl with them today they were all showing off lol.

I suppose you have to take the rough with the smooth. When I was at the beach making my Lunchbox video the other week a group of semi drunk girls came past because I was on the main path that links between the beach and the fairground and nightclubs and I thought to myself "they're going to think I'm a right nerd" and they were all like ooooo that's actually pretty cool etc and stopped to chat which I was quite chuffed with.

Then fast forward a week and I'm being mocked by a group of kids who have "man perms"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So it seems like bursting my eardrums and going to the gym are my best course of action so far lol!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

However I am almost completely deaf

Ignorance is bliss!

1 hour ago, DK308 said:

(Bald, pretty fit, a few tattoos etc.)

I'm not fit but I'm a big bloke. Long hair, beard kind of guy. I seem to get 50/50, sometimes it seems to make me a target and other times people make an effort to cross the road and I usually don't have to worry about anyone bothering me on public transport lol.

Years ago I used to have a grade 1 all over and people did seem to be a bit more polite in general. The subtle difference between someone saying sorry for spilling a bit of your pint and them rushing off to get you another lol!

1 hour ago, markbt73 said:

In fact, the only negative responses I've ever gotten were once from a father who couldn't understand why I wouldn't let his son drive my (nitro-powered, 50-mph-capable, fresh-out-of-painting) RC10GT and accused me of being "a lousy role model" because I was being "selfish,"

Sometimes, I often wonder about clowns like this and how on earth they survived long enough to procreate and have little clown offspring. 

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Kevin_Mc said:

So it’s not just me who has a shaved head and tattoos?! :lol: although i am by no means large and intimidating. 

Seems to be a running theme here lol

Just now, NWarty said:

Sometimes, I often wonder about clowns like this and how on earth they lived long enough to procreate and have little clown offspring. 

I agree. Teaching your kids to have such a sense of entitlement is what he should be more worried about.

7 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

I think the thing that annoyed me the most with these lads is that they are usually polite and act interested but because they had a girl with them today they were all showing off lol.

I changed my mind. What annoyed me the most is that they all had this haircut:

78e202152c56e040786811d369402e2d--thick-

And still thought they were in a position to have a go at other people!

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Only ever had one stranger show any negativity towards my RC hobby.

I was out with some friends doing some trail running with our CC01 Defenders, we came across a woman walking her dog with her young daughter. We all said hello, as you do, and she just sneered and said " that looks fun" in such a sarcastic manner. It really annoyed me for about a minute, then I thought we aren't hurting anybody, were not damaging anybodies property and most importantly we are having fun. So, stuff these people with their "too cool for school" attitudes and keep on enjoying our wonderful hobby.

The guys at work give me jibes about RC, but not in a nasty way, I get that. We all have different interests that seem a little odd to others. But I would never insult someone for having a hobby that I don't have a interest in. One of the guys at work likes metal detecting, not my cup of tea, but if it gets him out of the house and doing something stimulating, then why the heck not.

Edit:

I should have added, 10 minutes after the rude woman incident, we met a young family with 2 boys. They loved the trucks and the Dad was very inquisitive. We talked for a while let the boys have a go wit the trucks, chatted some more and waved goodbye. That's the other side of enjoying RC in public spaces.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bromley said:

Only ever had one stranger show any negativity towards my RC hobby.

I was out with some friends doing some trail running with our CC01 Defenders, we came across a woman walking her dog with her young daughter. We all said hello, as you do, and she just sneered and said " that looks fun" in such a sarcastic manner. It really annoyed me for about a minute, then I thought we aren't hurting anybody, were not damaging anybodies property and most importantly we are having fun. So, stuff these people with their "too cool for school" attitudes and keep on enjoying our wonderful hobby.

The guys at work give me jibes about RC, but not in a nasty way, I get that. We all have different interests that seem a little odd to others. But I would never insult someone for having a hobby that I don't have a interest in. One of the guys at work likes metal detecting, not my cup of tea, but if it gets him out of the house and doing something stimulating, then why the heck not.

I find people seem to grow up with a herd mentality where they strive to fit in and anything slightly different is strange and fair game for criticism.

I can't say I was any different to be honest. As a young teenager, it was all Adidas jogging bottoms and such and the goth, indie and rock kids at school were like freakish non-humans. Having a Playstation was fine and normal. Having an RC or an electric guitar or camera was freakish and weird. You get the idea.

Lucikly I decided this was all nonsense within a few years and became relatively "alternative" myself and went on to have a several girlfriends who were goths/alternative.

Looking back it's pretty hilarious how we treat anyone who is slightly different. I distinctly remember walking through town with friends and all staring at the goths in horror (even though I secretly thought the girls were well foxy in their stockings and makeup etc lol) we genuinely thought they were like a different species and drank chicken blood and worshipped the devil etc but of course, in time, I just realised they were the same as everyone else, had the same hopes and dreams, liked to eat cheese on toast, burped and farted just like anyone else. Humans seem to have a habit of putting up fake barriers with stuff like that. I still meet adults now who refer to anyone even remotely non-mainstream as "freaks"

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bromley said:

a woman walking her dog

That's another thing that annoys me. When people think they have an inherent right to own and walk their dogs which overrides your right to own and drive RCs. Had a couple of people trying to get me to go away because "this area is for dog walking"

• Like 1

I know what you mean. I don't have the slightest interest in football/soccer. When people find this out they do tend to treat me very differently. It's such a large part of most British men's lives, they just think I'm plain weird.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bromley said:

I know what you mean. I don't have the slightest interest in football/soccer. When people find this out they do tend to treat me very differently. It's such a large part of most British men's lives, they just think I'm plain weird.

Same here! And when I moved to Wales it was the same but with rugby.

"You like to drive model cars around but you don't enjoy men wrestling for a leather egg? Weirdo."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, nowinaminute said:

I suppose you have to take the rough with the smooth. When I was at the beach making my Lunchbox video the other week a group of semi drunk girls came past because I was on the main path that links between the beach and the fairground and nightclubs and I thought to myself "they're going to think I'm a right nerd" and they were all like ooooo that's actually pretty cool etc and stopped to chat which I was quite chuffed with.

Just as proof:

See guys, chicks dig  ̶s̶c̶a̶r̶s̶   RC cars

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

"were's your RC car today?" and another said something like "zomgz he has a toy car that's weeeeird, even I don't have a toy car" 

After doing a bunch of exhibition shows at local events, my money is that, every single one of them would gladly have a go of an RC car given the chance, and more a case of idle hands and boredom. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

Had a couple of people trying to get me to go away because "this area is for dog walking"

I ran my Mad Bison in a small park.  In 10 minutes, few people came out with their dogs.  I'm sure it was annoying with the noise of the nitro engine.  I had a quarter tank left, so I decided to run it for a couple more minutes.  One dog was looking at my red truck longingly.  Another dog decided to chase it.  Herd mentality kicked in, and two 40 pounder dogs were chasing after my Bison.  I drove crazy, trying to avoid them like a matador facing a bull for the first time. (and it was 2 dogs!)

Why were they unleashed?  It was NOT a dog park!!  In the end, one of them finally cornered my Bison, and bit the tire off the wheel.  Nitros not having reverse was a big detriment.  The owner lady was saying, "oh, I'm sorry, is it okay? It looks expensive."  But that was just her mouth making those sounds.  Her face was telling another story, "Sparky gets a treat for putting that noisy thing out of commission."  But, I must concede, nitro is loud and annoying.  I should have quit as soon as people showed up. 

Having said that though, it's not right that they were trying to make themselves look macho at the expense of others.  Real men don't need to put down others to feel like men.   

Maybe they are insecure because they belong to a secret boys knitting club?  Not that I'm judging, mind you!  

c7XZu5w.jpg

But, I'll choose Tamiya Club every time.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

That's another thing that annoys me. When people think they have an inherent right to own and walk their dogs which overrides your right to own and drive RCs. Had a couple of people trying to get me to go away because "this area is for dog walking"

Football/Soccer parents are the scourge of public parks

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

As I was walking up the hill to my street I could see them sat in the middle of the road at the top, when I got closer they started calling me weird etc then one of them said "were's your RC car today?" and another said something like "zomgz he has a toy car that's weeeeird, even I don't have a toy car" and stuff along those lines.

Let's face it, we're grown men playing with little toy cars, and no amount of money spent on these toys is going to change this fundamental fact. They're toys. By current social standards, any adult playing with toys in public does qualify as weird, I'd think. 

So these kids were just stating facts, weren't they? Nothing wrong with that. 

Personally, I feel sorry for anybody who doesn't have a little weirdness in their lives. How boring that must be. And judging from this forum, the toy car men are among the most friendly, pleasant, articulate, respectful, helpful and generally well meaning weird people on the internet. Not the worst weird group to be affiliated with, by far. 

Actually, this forum is such a pleasant place, I wouldn't have expected any of you to be shaven headed, bearded and tattooed. And playing with toy cars. You're all pretty weird :lol::lol:

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

After doing a bunch of exhibition shows at local events, my money is that, every single one of them would gladly have a go of an RC car given the chance, and more a case of idle hands and boredom. 

I'm pretty sure the same boys have come up and expressed interest before. But they happened to have a girl with them this time......enough said lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1