nowinaminute

Ever gotten verbal abuse off random kids/strangers because of RC?

I fall into the large, shaved head, bearded, tattoo'd ogre in a black t-shirt category as well, and, unsurprisingly, haven't ever had an issue with anyone, wether alone or with a group of my similarly appearing friends... Except from old ladies. I swear that some old women are just looking for men having a good time to bitch at! They're usually pretty funny with their righteous rage at grown men fiddling with expensive toys, so it really doesn't bother me.

On the other hand, we host bi- weekly "bash sessions" in our parking lot where we block off half of the lot and drive our cars around and socialize. We've had people drive through the cones to cut past the stop light, people scream and swear at us, even one lady call the cops. The cop came and talked to me for a while, drove a few cars for a bit, then went across the street, told the lady that it was our parking lot, not public property, that we could do as we pleased, wrote her old man a ticket for cutting through, and let her know that we had a good case for harassment building. She and her old man haven't been a problem since. Some people...

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I get a bit of "abuse" off work mates ,( i say abuse, its the workplace, it would only be something else to get and wind you up) about playing with toy cars, but like I posted earlier, every single one of them want a shot, when I'm working on one on nightshift!! 

Although she doesn't really comment, the wife mentioned she was surprised,when we called in on a local RC race (for me to pick up parts, I'd 'borrowed' 🙄), that everyone were adults,  she presumed it would all be kids!! 

I think everyone should at least check out their local RC club,even if you don't want to race, if nothing else, than to meet and chat with fellow W̶e̶i̶r̶d̶o̶s̶ ̶ enthusiasts! 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

i think the big problem is with us is when we take our rc's out on our own we dont have much confidence seeing kids think they are kids toys and tbh they are but so what 

i did not get into rc's until i brought my first one at the tender age of 18 and when i took it out in the street then i would wait till it was empty.

know at the age of 48 i still think of my self as that same age of 18  and tbh i really dont care what anyone thinks about what i enjoy doing 

every one has a hobbie and not every one like others hobbies  like me i hate football and motorbike BUT i dont go on about it to people that like them i even used to machanic for my brother that does motorcross. 

for me this hobbie has to be the best think ever even though i dont get to use my rc's these days 

i have got a fair few into this hobbie over the years and always love a good natter face to face over rc's  

i didn't mind someone stopping me when i was out but like you guys i can tell if someone is interested or may be tryng to chat bubbles to ya self of worse trying to distract you while they try to rob your rc.

i really enjoyed taking the our drifting rc's out with my 2 sons a couple of years back and they did also we would go every sunday and they still ask me still but their aint no where we can use drifting car by me even though my youngest is ready for leaving school and my other is in his early 20's we used to use either the local flicks carpark or a empty car park that is a 15 min drive for my house

i will always try to find a secluded spot to use.

the best thing is i do have a local club that runs every friday night in a school hall not far from me that i could join but i always think i aint good enough of i dont have good enough stuff so i dont bother to join but i have spectated at the club since the early 90's but i aint been in a couple of years and miss it tbh. its not good loving this hobbie and not have transport even more know since i got my trucks and i really want to visit the layland club 

• Like 2

I love how this has turned into a meeting of Introverts Anonymous. One question, though - I have a full head of hair; am I still welcome? :)

I'm definitely the sort who wants to hurry up and get the social event over with so I can go home to my workshop. My wife is the opposite - she's a social butterfly, and while she doesn't quite "get" my need for solitude, she respects it, and I think we balance each other out. She has asked before why I don't get involved in more  clubs or events for the hobbies I'm interested in, and the only reason I can give her is that it cuts into my alone time.

The trouble with that, as many of us have found, is that it's easy to sit around alone and not do the thing that the club does. Racing, by definition, requires at least one other person; driving around in a circle by yourself is only entertaining for so long. And I fall into that trap with my other hobbies as well: I don't drive my MG as much as I should, because I don't have many places to drive it to. And the guitars gather dust because noodling around by yourself is nowhere near as interesting as jamming with other people.

So I'm trying to "get out of my shell" a bit. I've just found out about a new RC track here in town, https://www.pdxrcunderground.com, and I think I'm going to go to a couple of practice sessions and see if they're cool with vintage/re-re cars (because I still can't stand the modern ones). Besides, I like the idea of an indoor carpet off-road track; there's less cleanup involved and less chance of gravel rash than running in my weedy muddy side yard.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

I just didn't know how to respond.

Ignore them. They are just looking for a reaction. If you give them nothing they will get bored and find something/someone else to amuse themselves. They are probably killing time in the street because their druggy parents haven't provided them enough resources to amuse themselves at home.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

I have a full head of hair; am I still welcome? :)

Phew, I was starting to think that a hairy head is against rules or something.   

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, markbt73 said:

So I'm trying to "get out of my shell" a bit. I've just found out about a new RC track here in town, https://www.pdxrcunderground.com, and I think I'm going to go to a couple of practice sessions and see if they're cool with vintage/re-re cars (because I still can't stand the modern ones).

That place looks ace!! 

You'll find there'll be guys there that have vintage stuff, and love to see your collection.

All clubs have a selection of out and out racers, the guys that are chasing that tenth, brand guys, that only want a certain brand of car etc, but for the most,they'll have grown up with and still own vintage stuff, they all love RC, and will talk RC all night!! 

Maybe worth firing off an email, have a contact who's expecting you etc.

3 hours ago, markbt73 said:

I like the idea of an indoor carpet off-road track; there's less cleanup involved 

Bit of fluff, that's it! 

Raced on carpet for 30+yrs, British weather doesn't really lend itself to outdoor tracks too well 🌩🌬

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

You sound like my long lost twin or something.

You know, when I saw your midlife crisis backyard RC playground, it reminded me of my attempts to do the same. I figured if I could bring the fun of crawling and a small track to my backyard, I wouldn't have to head out in public, lol. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

about playing with toy cars, but like I posted earlier, every single one of them want a shot, when I'm working on one on nightshift!! 

Same, get ribbed but then when a parcel comes for me they crowd around like vultures. It really annoys them if I don't open it right away lol.

• Haha 3

These are great responses. I've never had anyone mock me for running an rc BUT when I worked at a hobby store in high school/college, I had a lots of people comment on the ridiculous price of rc kits or TOYS. That was annoying as badword but there were lots of people that frequented the shop of all ages that ran rc.

A manager walked by my cube when I had some pics up on Tamiyaclub looking at Sand Scorchers last month. She said cool rc's. I felt embarrassed for a second but then said that was my hobby along with flying my drone. She said her husband has an X-Maxx and loves to run it with his friends. I didn't feel as odd after that happened.  

It makes me feel good knowing that I'm not the only one that could just hang out and mess with my rc's all day without human contact.

• Like 3

Just to chime in with a funny story. I live in France, was a former race mechanic (alpine/renault sport) am now a high school english teacher and still race in national rallies in France. I am not a big bloke but I do have a shaved head, mustache and beard and spent 7 years doing boxing. So normally where I go To play with the rc's (local park) I get the usual "how fast is it? How much does it cost? Where did you buy it? Can I try ? ...etc. But I never have any antagonism.

Well, one day about a year ago I went out to do some test runs with my rally car (illégal on public roads) but it was a sunday not much people around in rural south France and I decided to take an rc to do a couple of runs with it on the way back. So I did my tests then parked my lancia delta integrale grA at the entrance of the park and started playing with my schumacher cat 2000. I saw there was a group of treens hanging out on one of the benches and went about my buisness. But... the cat did a barrel roll near them and before I could retreive it one of the young ones was standing next to it. So I say hello and he says "can I try" so I Said "No you can't". He reponds "f### you and your stupid toy" and motions to kick ou car. I answer "if you want your teeth to remain inside your mouth don t touch my car". His mates start walking away sensing that things could get ugly and he hovers for a moment trying to figure out what to do so I told him no hard feelings and go off with his mates. When the group of them got past the hedge and saw the Lancia I heard them "Wow look at the car!" So I shouted "don t touch my other car either!!!". 

They all came back polite as ever and spent 15min taking To me about the Lancia and apologised for their previous behavior. 

Live and learn !

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

I do have a good story about a positive interaction with a "civilian." Years ago I bought one of those Kyosho Nostalgic Series MGB kits on clearance sale, and I was running it in the parking lot next to my apartment. It was the first nitro car I had run in a long time, and I was still working on getting it tuned, when a guy and his son walked by and started watching me. After a few moments the guy's eyes lit up and he said, "Is that an MGB?" I drove it over closer to him and said "Yep, sure is." He then spent a good 10 minutes chatting with me, asking a few questions about the model, but mostly talking about British cars. He told me about the MGB he had back in Australia, and I told him about my dad's MGs and Triumphs, and all the while the little Kyosho engine sat there buzzing away at idle.

Finally I asked him, "Do you want to give it a try?" He hesitated and then said yes. And as if on cue, the engine stalled. "Hang on," I said. I then yanked the starter cord about 20 times, to no avail. Once or twice it almost caught, but then sputtered out again.

The guy chuckled, and said, "I see it runs just like a real MG as well."

"I swear, I was driving it around for half an hour before, no problem," I replied. Finally I got it started again (I think it just loaded up with fuel sitting there, and got flooded) but by then he had to get going. He and his son walked off with a wave, chatting about cars. The kid may not have developed an interest in RC, but I guarantee he grew up to be a gearhead.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, t3garett said:

"Wow look at the car!" So I shouted "don t touch my other car either!!!". 

They all came back polite as ever and spent 15min taking To me about the Lancia and apologised for their previous behavior. 

Yeah, I noticed that it's generally socially acceptable for 1:1 car guys to "play" with "toy cars" if they do it within line of sight of one of their 1:1s. From personal experience, I can tell you that nobody's going to question your social status if you do your public RC driving from a standing position in the roof hatch of your Humvee. :D

• Haha 2

I’ve never had verbal abuse directed at me, albeit any that I heard.. but long ago, when I was stupid enough to have Facebook lol.. I saw a post from a someone I went to high school with.  

His post was in regards to him playing in the park with his toddlers and a male showing up with his RC truck. He was implying that it was odd and perhaps the male was a pervert trying to lure kids with his RC toy.r

Now as a parent we are all paranoid and over protective of our kids, the issue for me was the source.

This individual was the worst kid growing up.  A lying backstabbing cheat with no morals. During a period that we were supposed to be friends, he damaged my car at school by jumping on its hood to show off to some older kids. Eventually I found out it was him and it was agony to make him pay for the damage.

Anyhow, to see him take such a view of the hobby that I love really aggravated me 

Went to the beach with my daughter yesterday. Me with the Lunchbox, her with Kumamon. Got loads of attention which made me just want to cringe but it was all positive at least lol!

The usual boring stuff, "how much?" "how fast?" "is it nitro?" I hate the nitro question. First off, anyone with functioning ears should be able to tell and also, why do outsiders still have this notion that nitro is the be all and end all?

There were also a lot of guys staring longingly with wives saying "you're not 'avin one!" :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Very interesting thread.  There are a lot of nice trails by me that my father and I frequent on the weekends with our crawlers, monster trucks, etc.  We run into all sorts of people; dog walkers, joggers, dirt bike & quad riders, fishermen, pot smokers, etc.  We always say hi to everyone and most people just say "looks like fun" or something like that. 

Today we were out along with my younger brother and came upon some fisherman at the edge of the creek.   I heard one of them say, "Hey, there are the guys with the trucks I told you about!".  A few of them proceeded to walk over and take photos/videos of the trucks crawling some rocks.   Of course they asked if they were nitro (everyone always ask that, don't they?), how fast do they do? and can they do burnouts?   Better than negative reactions I suppose.   

The thread is interesting because the negative reactions have always been in my mind and I worry that will happen.  That's why I rarely go out by myself, much less likely to get "bothered" when in a group.   I can take care of myself if anything were to happen, but it would really put a downer on things.  Some people just take joy in putting others down, horrible way to live if you ask me.

Last summer I went over to the local mall on a holiday and ran my TT02R around the giant empty parking lot.  I had my 1:1 Buick Grand National with me and had at least 3-4 guys stop in the lot to ask about the car.  They thought the RC was cool, but were mostly interested in the Buick.  It is funny how having an interesting full size car takes it from an adult playing with a toy to you being a cool guy no matter what you're doing.  I could have been crocheting a quilt and they would have thought I was the coolest...

Not that everyone has to be into the things I am, but there are so many like minded 1:1 car guys that I know would love RC but just wont give it the time of day.  I love my 1:1s, but working on my RC trucks is much more relaxing and a lot less stressful.  If I break an axle shaft out on the trail no big deal.  If I lift a head on the Grand National at the track its a lot more time and $$$$ to get right again.  RC is a fantastic hobby, I just love it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/20/2019 at 5:11 PM, Raman36 said:
I’ve never had verbal abuse directed at me, albeit any that I heard.. but long ago, when I was stupid enough to have Facebook lol.. I saw a post from a someone I went to high school with.  

I'm 100 percent with you on the Facebook thing.  I quit that garbage over two years ago and haven't looked back! 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, 78Triumph said:

I'm 100 percent with you on the Facebook thing.  I quit that garbage over two years ago and haven't looked back! 

I'm still on there but mostly to stay in touch with RC friends and family, RC and photography groups etc.

In terms of actually viewing people's posts etc I barely use it now, so much stupidity and ignorance, people reposting completely made up "inspiring stories" and "did you know" factoids such as the old gem "if you're at an ATM and see someone suspicious behind you, put your pin number in backwards and the police will arrive within 60 seconds" Stuff like that gets 20 million "likes" despite obviously being total BS. I also see a lot of made up far-right propoganda too, videos and photos taken out of context or misrepresented in order to make a particular ethinic group look bad.

I think the turning point for me was seeing so many people I used to go to school with posting anti vaccine and flat earth stuff. People are so gullible + cynical that they will blindly believe almost anything they see on facebook. I got fed up of arguing with people that the earth isn't flat and that we did land on the moon and that the word trade centre attacks were not guided missiles with the image of airliners superimposed onto them etc, It's truly mind numbing. I got tired of people going on about "being awakened" and calling others sheep when they were the ones blindly believing any old nonsense they saw on FB or Youtube without questioning it. There's a lot of people like David Icke and Alex Jones making a HUGE amount of money by taking advantage of the Dunning Kruger effect, people love to think they know a secret that everyone else doesn't. One of my own aunts blocked me on facebook because of this kind of thing. People will desperately try to hold on to that sense of superiority and anyone who tries to point out they have been conned will be blocked out of their lives.

There's a feature on facebook that allows you to chose whether or not you "follow" a friend, that is to say if you follow them, their posts show in your news feed. I have unfollowed 99% of my friend list. I keep things down to a bare minimum and even then, I rarely go through the news feed because every other post still makes my eyes roll so hard I can see my own brain.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

How sad,  the issue is this in my opinion,  this generation is the generation of entitlement.  Nothing’s earned nor is imagination second nature.  This is why this generation of children will have problem changing a tire or taking the  initiative to fix or solve a problem by themselves without intervention.  I am very  mechanically inclined and can fix **** near anything I put my mind to.  I owe it all to Tamiya,  it was then at 9 years old which at the time for me was like brain surgery when it came to building, troubleshooting and finding inventive solutions to repair my RC car when money was in short supply.  That was the fun for me.  Kids today can’t even use a screwdriver much less tell you what a flat head or Phillips is.  My kids school even quit teaching cursive so I have my youngest at 13 who cannot read or write in cursive.  Pathetic to say the least.  We need to be a society of problem solving and resolutions instead of the attitude where everything is owed and everyone gets a first place trophy.  We owe it to ourselves to push our children and challenge them to resolve problems without coddleing them.  Those gravel pushers are *******ers and will grow up to struggle once in there own.  I’ll leave it at this.. REAL MEN DONT NEED MANUALS!  Sorry mate you had a rude encounter unfortunatly kids are not taught to respect adults any longer and once on their own they will face a serious wake up

• Like 1

You know, people said radio would rot kids minds. Then it was TV. Now its the internet or rather how it's accessed. And so, some folks blow it off as just the next thing. Supposedly, as our generation ages, we gripe about the upcoming generations just like our parents did and their parents etc. I think that's bull. I honestly seem to be able to trace many many many social problems we are experiencing as a society back to not only internet but the ridiculous ease at which it is accessed. It has cause a dramatic shift and one which can not be backed away from. Pandora's box has been opened. I'll get off my soapbox and put away my tinfoil hat now.;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

You know, people said radio would rot kids minds. Then it was TV. Now its the internet or rather how it's accessed. And so, some folks blow it off as just the next thing. Supposedly, as our generation ages, we gripe about the upcoming generations just like our parents did and their parents etc. I think that's bull. I honestly seem to be able to trace many many many social problems we are experiencing as a society back to not only internet but the ridiculous ease at which it is accessed. It has cause a dramatic shift and one which can not be backed away from. Pandora's box has been opened. I'll get off my soapbox and put away my tinfoil hat now.;)

I don't know if it's the internet per se, but the lack of tactile engagement with the world has me worried. A driving simulator instead of driving, or Madden NFL instead of playing football in the park, is the "difference between lightning and the lightning bug," as Mark Twain put it. Physical engagement with the world is important, and it's in short supply for today's kids (for a lot of reasons), and that idea is both sad and scary.

(Edit - I tried to type "f-r-i-g-h-t-e-n-i-n-g" instead of "scary," but for some reason it got starred out...? Invoking Mr Twain again, I had to use almost the right word instead of the right word. Oh well.)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, markbt73 said:

I don't know if it's the internet per se, but the lack of tactile engagement with the world has me worried. A driving simulator instead of driving, or Madden NFL instead of playing football in the park, is the "difference between lightning and the lightning bug," as Mark Twain put it. Physical engagement with the world is important, and it's in short supply for today's kids (for a lot of reasons), and that idea is both sad and scary.

Agreed. I feel the internet, (while still not used to its full potential at the time by the general public) was not strictly the issue when it was confined to a computer console 20 years ago. Put all that and more on a smart device, on our hip and suddenly (with the help of things like social media) people can withdraw from the important, tactile, real world and into a digital one. People are often horrible at balance. Add to the fact that aspects of being online light up the pleasure centers in our brains and its easy to see the allure.

• Like 2

What has changed in the last 10 or 15 years is that social media and streaming video has enabled instant gratification. Thinking is mentally taxing and doing stuff is physically taxing. Posting a picture of cat or a stupid meme and getting 'likes' gives instant gratification with minimal effort. Giving and receiving 'likes' reinforces the feeling of belonging to a group and/or being socially accepted. Watching someone skilled accomplish something lessens the need for us to learn that skill for ourselves - by simply watching them succeed, we too get the gratification of succeeding. I mean, people even watch videos of other people playing video games because it gives them the gratification of playing a game without the effort of actually playing it...

Even on this forum we are guilty of it - looking at build logs and photos of others working on RCs, giving and receiving 'likes', gives us our 'hit' and lessens the need for us to do significant work on our own stuff, or actually get out and drive our RCs with like minded people to be content.

• Thanks 1

Your kids - I don’t have any - will think and invent and evolve in ways that none of us can even begin to understand. It's called "evolution", and it's happening all the time. They grew up with the internet, they cannot, will not and should not be able to think of the "real world" and the "digital world" in the same black-and-white contrast as those who can remember pre-internet times... It's evolution, and none of us... err... old people will ever be able to understand what it's like to have grown up in this "new" digital world. 

Next thing those kids will do, they'll change the world to their liking, to the way they feel it should be, just like every single generation did before them. 

It's already happening. Go drive a Dodge Demon if you want a taste. 9.5 seconds in the quarter, hooks so hard it'll lift the front wheels off the ground factory stock on street tires in the street, enough to make any grown car guy beg for one - and do you know what it feels like to drive? Like a Playstation driving simulator. It is scarily fast, and even more scarily boring. 

Because it was, essentially, built by a generation of car fans who learned how to drive that way, and who build cars according to their own experiences now. It's evolution. New things will happen, and human perception itself will change. Again. 

Like when people believed that the insane speeds attained by the world's first steam locomotives - 30 mph! - would irreversibly change human organisms. You bet they did. And not only that, they changed the world. Do you complain, 200 years later? It will happen again. And again. And again. 

That's just the way it is, the present will make way for something bigger, faster and radically different, and none of us are invited. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, markbt73 said:

Physical engagement with the world is important, and it's in short supply for today's kids (for a lot of reasons), and that idea is both sad and scary.

That's why I try to fight my natural tendency to be an introvert... 

We live in a decaying age. Young people no longer respect their parents. They are rude and impatient. They frequently inhabit taverns and have no self control. 

That was written by some Egyptian dude 6000 years ago.  I'd say humans haven't changed much.  The people who calls everybody "sheeple!" are the sheep... lol... Humans are group animals anyway. We are followers by nature.  

There was one left turn on the way to work.  Almost nobody turns on the blinker (winker?) there.  Why not on that turn?  We made a point of turning on the blinker there for years.  After a couple years, everybody turned on the blinker.  Did we lead?  Or did we follow the few leaders who turned on the blinkers before we did?  I don't know.  But either way, humans follow.  Hopefully, only good things like being respectful to others, and not some weird ideas like Flat Earth... lol...  Instead spreading the Flat Earth theory, I'd say shut up and just Skydive!  Even from a 4000 feet static-jump, you can kinda see the curvature of the earth--unlike the tiny view from the airplane window.  "Physical engagement with the world is important" as @markbt73 said.  

On 4/22/2019 at 6:24 AM, nowinaminute said:

Dunning Kruger effect,

Thank you!  I tried to remember that for days. And I find the name in your thread!  

Yep, we all think we are "above average" when it comes to everything.  An IQ 80 person would say, "well, I couldn't be that bad, I could be slightly above average."  And IQ 180 would say, "well, I can't be that smart, I could be only slightly above average."  Dumb people stay dumb because they think they know enough.  Smart people get smarter because they underestimate themselves and keep learning.  It ties with our own self-centered bias.  Gamblers think they are "luckier than others"; that they don't belong to the statics that says the casino always wins.  We think younger people are always rude and impulsive, when we might have been impulsive 20 years ago.  

7 hours ago, nbTMM said:

Even on this forum we are guilty of it - looking at build logs and photos of others working on RCs, giving and receiving 'likes', gives us our 'hit' and lessens the need for us to do significant work on our own stuff, or actually get out and drive our RCs with like minded people to be content.

lol... so true, it hurts... (but I rather have truth than sweet lies)  From about several weeks ago, it hit me, 'I gotta stop buying stuff and actually DO things with stuff I already have!'  I joined TC in 2004. I admit, I got my 'hit' for over a decade without even doing anything RC.  I do still give likes, if only to encourage RC-anything, so I wouldn't be the only adult in the world playing with 'toys.'  But yes, less screen-time, more dirt-time would be better!  

23 hours ago, Maverick74 said:

this generation is the generation of entitlement.

True too, but people said the same thing about our X-generation also.  My dad didn't mince words, "Don't they teach you anything?"  That's how baby boomers saw us.   

My handwriting is horrendous.  Back in the days, when I brought a sick day note from my mom, my teacher said, "young man, you are not supposed to write the note yourself."  He called my mom to double check it.  I realized later that my mom and I have the same terrible handwriting.  So in my 40s, I got a fountain pen and worked on my cursive, writing the silly the Quick Brown Fox thing over and over again --I don't think it helped much. But at least the baby boomers should be happy that a lazy, entitled and aimless X-gen is trying after all these years... lol...   I agree coddling can ruin a person.  If parents are the "best," why would anybody get a job and be married?  As long as we don't spoil them, I'm sure this generation will learn too.  

• Like 1