nowinaminute

Ever gotten verbal abuse off random kids/strangers because of RC?

So now I have something to contribute to this thread unfortunately. This happened two days ago. Copied and pasted from my other forum haunt. 

So I've lived in my home for nearly 17 years. I have run my Tamiyas a lot on our quiet little street over the years. Kids usually smile, I'll usually get the Gen-X'r who's friend had a Grasshopper/Hornet once, I've even had the occasional old-timer war vet talk about my Tiger I tank. I had the little WPL 1/18 truck out in the yard yesterday. It's a small mini-rock crawler. Goes super slow and has the two-speed transmission and 4WD. 

Yesterday I ran into Hippy-Dippy State Worker, Earth Conscious, Entitlled Bicyclist A*****e. 

I'm running the car on the side of the street and see a bicycle approach from the right. I stop and pull off, because you know, that's the polite thing to do and I don't want it to get run over. So bicycle lady circles my little truck, then proceeds to reach down, grab the truck and drop it into my neighbor's yard. At this point, I'm absolutely gobsmacked. I start yelling a string of profanities at her that would make an entire US Navy Carrier Battle Group proud. Called her an a******e and told her don't ever come back. 

Her response: "We use the road too"...Sure. Sure you do jerk. 

So, I've charged up the battery in the bigger Bigwig, which goes like an absolute missle. Kids' super soakers are cleaned and ready. Touch my truck and you get wet. Then I call the Po-lice for harassment while I have you on video.

• Haha 2

Ah yes, the ESRC (Entitled Self-Righteous Cyclist). We have our share of those too. Funny how their "equal rights" to the road are somehow equal-er than everyone else's...

And ugh, why can't people understand, "no touchy my stuff"? Next time someone picks up a car, just goose the throttle. They'll let it go.

2 hours ago, NWarty said:

Her response: "We use the road too".

She says that but what she really means is "I'm part of a larger demographic so I'm more worthy of using the outdoors than you are."

Same with some dog owners, they think they have a birth right to use public places that other people don't, simply because they see walking a dog as more conventional.

You Guy's want to try skateboarding in a public place if you want to get abused...  It's mind-blowing how many folks think that any skateboarding is unlawful and an immediate threat to others personal safety, a threat to public domains and property and oh... your already up to no good so probably throw crime in there too.  Skateboard = crime  :blink:  I'm pretty sure the same people that invite conflict as soon as they see a skateboard would be the same people that invite conflict when they see an RC.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Thommo said:

Skateboard = crime  :blink:

Yeah, all those bad folks causing trouble, wearing those Vans and Vision Street Wear gear. Up to no good for sure. People's misconceptions crack me up.:blink:

6 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Yeah, all those bad folks causing trouble, wearing those Vans and Vision Street Wear gear. Up to no good for sure. People's misconceptions crack me up.:blink:

I still wear my Bones Brigade t-shirt and Vans with pride even though it's been 30 years since I've been on a board (1985 Madrid John Lucero). :D:wub:

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NWarty said:

I still wear my Bones Brigade t-shirt and Vans with pride even though it's been 30 years since I've been on a board (1985 Madrid John Lucero). :D:wub:

I tried getting on an old board of mine when my daughter showed interest and it didn't go well. I got old somewhere down the line :lol:. I still wouldn't mind having a series of Santa Cruz Rob Roskopp boards though.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Saito2 said:

I still wouldn't mind having a series of Santa Cruz Rob Roskopp boards though.

DSC_2769

• Like 4

totally tubular, dude

• Like 1

On 27 April 2019 at 10:33 AM, Saito2 said:

Yes! Awesome! or should I say rad?

Rad... 1986!

heh

Only recently got around to watching it... stars a teenage Nicole Kidman :) 

9 hours ago, WillyChang said:

Rad... 1986!

Ha! I remember seeing that at a friend's house when it came out on VHS back in the day. I thought it was the coolest. Well, not nearly as cool as Transformers The Movie though.

10 hours ago, WillyChang said:

Rad... 1986!

heh

Only recently got around to watching it... stars a teenage Nicole Kidman :) 

I thought that was our recently-in-hot-water-college-scandal-actress Lori Loughlin? 

Oh send me an Angel. Right now. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NWarty said:

I thought that was our recently-in-hot-water-college-scandal-actress Lori Loughlin? 

Oh send me an Angel. Right now. 

Nicole Kidman was in BMX Bandits, and yep, Lori Laughlin was in Rad.  I can't believe you had a Lucero Madrid!  John Lucero is my favorite skater of all time!  I still skate, not nearly as much as I used to, but I've got a parking block in my driveway I mess around on still.

• Like 2

I've been very lucky so far.
Never had this kind of thing happen to me anywhere, touch wood.

Often someones dog will react to them, barking and or growling, sometimes running at the car.
I just stop the car. Often the dogs owner starts apologising and I tell them that it's all ok.
Should the dog grab and damage the car I'll just fix it.

Public areas, live and let live and all that.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 6:01 AM, Thommo said:

You Guy's want to try skateboarding in a public place if you want to get abused...  It's mind-blowing how many folks think that any skateboarding is unlawful and an immediate threat to others personal safety, a threat to public domains and property and oh... your already up to no good so probably throw crime in there too.  Skateboard = crime  :blink:  I'm pretty sure the same people that invite conflict as soon as they see a skateboard would be the same people that invite conflict when they see an RC.

I am sure the missfit in the neighborhood, being 43 years old, and play with my cars in the street, and sometimes cruising around the streets and ramps, on my old G&S skateboard. Never had any people saying anything to me, but sure the “real” grown ups think I am crazy. But I like it, my 2 boys like it, and my wife likes to see us all happy, so couldn’t care less what people think.

• Like 4

I stopped caring what other people think about me a long time ago

Makes life so much better

And with a comment , i usually just confirm it * and like, really overdo it *

- yes, im a nearly 40 big kid .. you think this is all ?? Should see my other toys !! -

Life is good when a lot of people think your a total nutcase .. you can do whatever you want 

" he's crazy.. let him be .. he's harmless ;p "

• Like 2

I haven't gotten too much flack. There's one or two neighbors who i know think i'm crazy, but they never say anything. I had one guy from around the block got to talking to me about some other neighbor, and he mentioned "man one of those cars is LOUD dude!!!" - I told him i knew the one and would back off using it around the house. He was pleasant. 

Sometimes i will take an electric to the dog park. I never run it without asking any owners if they mind though. 

Also i've been chased off at 2 local parks by rangers "NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES!!!"..ok then, thank you sir/maam, i'll stop.

Kid asked for a 2nd go on my RC truck in the park yesterday. I explained it was older than his mum and he was blessed I let him touch the remote once. He kind of eyeballed me then asked his mum to make me give him another go! Dude was 4 years old MAX! They walked. 

I've not had much negativity when I've been running out in public places, usually it's teenagers, calling me a saddo or words to that effect or the usual "Aren't you too old for that?" from adults. I just ignore the teenagers and for the the adults my stock response is "There's worse ways to spend my well earned time, I could be in the pub getting wrecked or sticking needles into my veins" and they usually agree with me and carry on their way. 

A lot of the time tho people who do come up to me are genuinely interested or at least curious and want a closer look. 

4 hours ago, J@mes said:

Kid asked for a 2nd go on my RC truck in the park yesterday. I explained it was older than his mum and he was blessed I let him touch the remote once. He kind of eyeballed me then asked his mum to make me give him another go! Dude was 4 years old MAX! They walked. 

You know, I kind of understand if the mother and kid looked at you oddly after that one. I'm not one to let other people run my rigs, but I usually try to stay polite about how I come across. I might read your comment wrong or way too much into it, but it sounds like you took a needlessly somewhat condescending and hostile approach. Why not just say "no" and explain that you're very cautious about who drives your rc? I am and that's what i do. It usually goes well, and if not, I know I'm not the problem.

To tell someone that he's "blessed" because he got to touch your rc remote? C'mon man, be cool about it.

Not trying to create an argument or attack you, so I hope you don't take too much offens. Just trying to offer a bit of advice nobody asked for :D

Carry on :)

18 hours ago, DK308 said:

You know, I kind of understand if the mother and kid looked at you oddly after that one. I'm not one to let other people run my rigs, but I usually try to stay polite about how I come across. I might read your comment wrong or way too much into it, but it sounds like you took a needlessly somewhat condescending and hostile approach. Why not just say "no" and explain that you're very cautious about who drives your rc? I am and that's what i do. It usually goes well, and if not, I know I'm not the problem.

To tell someone that he's "blessed" because he got to touch your rc remote? C'mon man, be cool about it.

Not trying to create an argument or attack you, so I hope you don't take too much offens. Just trying to offer a bit of advice nobody asked for :D

Carry on :)

No problem. The way I word it and how it really went down are not an exact match & of course open to interpretation. Maybe RC turns me in to a jerk, maybe I’m a jerk anyway. A very polite jerk, thank you for your thoughts.