Sign in to follow this  
DK308

Need help with servo for TRF503

Hi guys

So, I just ordered a TRF503 rig that I will hopefully get before easter. Anyhow, I'm now shopping for a servo, and went online to check the manual to see what it suggest. After being in this hobby for over 20 years, I'm usually not that confused, but this had me puzzled. Depending on whether you choose a normal standard or low profile standard servo, it mounts the servo differently. However, not because of space, but rather as the manual implies that a low profile 25t servo centers the horn differently. I've never seen it before, and I can't remember having ever seen this mentioned.

It's on page 17 and 18 in the PDF manual as depicted in my oplead.

Any thoughts on this is much appreciated.

Manual s 18.xps

Manual s 17.xps

It looks like it's just a little adjustment on the arm, at least from what I could tell.  I don't know that I would be that concerned about it as I've needed to adjust the turnbuckles based on different servo types on other cars from what has been recommended in the installation manual.  I just look at those settings as more of a initial guide rather than an absolute.

7 hours ago, Mahjik said:

It looks like it's just a little adjustment on the arm, at least from what I could tell.  I don't know that I would be that concerned about it as I've needed to adjust the turnbuckles based on different servo types on other cars from what has been recommended in the installation manual.  I just look at those settings as more of a initial guide rather than an absolute.

My issue with it is not so much the setting per se. It's more the "why"? I have used both types of servos over th years, and I was just always under the impression that they centred the splines the same way. It also strikes me as really odd that one has to be installed differently. The spline drive is at the same location on the servo top, so why the difference? As long as the cable fits, I would think either way is fine. It just strikes me as very odd that the arm would mount @ 10 degrees on one servo, and @ 15 degrees on the other when the servo is centred.

It doesn't seem to me it's about how they center, but it seems Tamiya was concerned with the amount of travel the servos had (expecting the lower profile to have less travel).  At least with modern race kits today, I've never seen alternate mounting for standard versus low profile servos.  It's possible it's something that was an issue in past.  I would mount the servo in whatever way works best for the wiring, and then just make sure you have full steering travel both directions.

• Like 1