Sign in to follow this  
Superba

Brat/Frog front axle woes

I have had a brat converted to a Frog for a good while now and for simple bashing it has to be one of my favourites. However I am having terrible problems with the front wheels falling off due to the axle pulling out of the steering “hub”. I even got a friend to drill it and pin it but whilst on holiday this snapped. So I am away from models shops but looking for a way to fix this. Could someone recommends a UK glue that would do it and also a degreaser so I can make sure the joint is as clean as possible. Real shame as my 6 year old has suddenly clicked and is loving driving his rising fighter with the frog and I want to spend more time with him doing that

The best results I've had for this have been with araldite (or other hard two-part epoxy).  It's a design flaw in the part and there's not much else you can do.  Make sure you clean any residue off the axle and trim around the hub before it hardens otherwise it might tighten up on the wheel.

I haven't run my Brog in a very long time - I keep promising I'll fix it up sooner or later - but I haven't had any problems since I araldited my axles.

Not sure what degreaser I used - probably brake cleaner as it's generally all I have lying around, followed by washing up liquid.

Thanks Mad Ax. Off to the shops for me. Is there any other part from other cars that might work? I notice my sons rising fighter has similar looking joints which are part metal and part nylon. Maybe when I am back home I will try. Do take the Brog out, it is fantastic fun, and I am always amazed how much fun, “slow” or “basic” models can be, although I am sure I am preaching to the converted. Another car I love is the MO5 NSU. Just brilliant fun.