graemevw

Decent track buggy

Im thinking of getting a buggy for track use. Not racing. Requirements are that it handles ok, is reasonably durable, can be made quick, easy enough to get parts.

Im not sure if i want 2wd or 4wd yet.

Ive been reading alot and it seems the only real options are dt02 or tt02b.

Dn01 and db01 seem to fit the bill better, but there not so easy to find and harder to get bits for.

Are there any other decent options? 

I want something i can thrash at the track and jump without any fear of breaking it due to hard to find or expensive parts so it needs to be a current buggy really. The problem is neither the dt02 or tt02b inspire me at all, id have likes something a bit better.

Only other consideration was maybe a top force?

DN01. It's brilliant. I love driving mine. I had a DB01R and it's also great, particularly at the track, but I didn't fall in love with it and ended up selling it. 

Bits are super easy to get because it shares all the parts with TRF201X. I have never struggled to get anything apart from steering parts (not that they broke, I was building a new buggy) but Tony's Tamiya Parts ordered them from Japan for me and although it was a wait they were not expensive. Pretty much all the TRF201 hop ups/spares are available at good prices from far east vendors (RCMart, rcjaz, Stella models etc). If you can get someone in the USA to buy it for you and then sort shipping tamiya USA have the TRF201X for crazy low pricing. 

I would recommend tracking down the TRF201 metal ball diff outdrives for the DN01 if you are happy with the ball diff, or it is possible to fit a kyosho ultima sc gear diff with a bit of light dremel work inside one of the gearcase halves. I did it on mine. Other than track appropriate tyres (for astro, Schumacher mini spike rear yellow and wide cut Stagger front yellow would be the ones) its good to go. If you stick to a sensible motor (13.5 is nice) you don't even really need the slipper clutch. Great, great buggy. If you don't like the Zahhak body, the sand Viper body fits, as does the TRF201 body, and the Team Azarashi Quracca and Canyk bodies. 

• Like 1

PS you will spend more on getting a DT02 to handle the track in hop ups than you will on a DN01, if my DT03 is anything to go by, and it still won't be as good. 

• Like 1

The big question is - what is your budget? If its really high then look at TRF503/201/211 etc

Otherwise, the DB01RR is at rcjaz for a pretty good price,  but its still a lot more than a TT02B

Would you consider other brands? I have found buying the just superceded model secondhand is excellent value, probably the best value for money.

I would avoid the TT02B or DT02/3. I haven't run a DT02 but have run a TT02B at a track and it was terrible. They are heavy and don't jump well. They also aren't nearly as durable as a race kit - you would be amazed at the cartwheels and heavy landings my Kyosho race kits have handled without breaking anything

From ThunderDragonCy's post above the DN01 or TRF201 sound like the best way to go if it must be Tamiya and on a reasonable budget

• Like 1

Not knowing your budget, but if you are a member here either a DB01RR or TRF503/201/211

Something a bit cheaper and vintage, a Top Force or a  Super Astute, if you buy a TT or DT you will be disappointed.

• Like 1

Ok, all good info.

Budget, i dont know really, £150 for basic kit would be ideal, but i dont think thats going to happen. I would consider non tamiya if i had to, its not going to be a car i have to 'like'.

I have a super astute, but its an original so im a bit scared of breaking it. Although i guess it doesnt really matter as half of it is rere anyway.

I could also piece together most of an avante type chassis hybrid, custom make some parts to beef it up, could be an option.

It just needs to cope with bumpy astro track, be able to jump (well, land), be resilient enough to make quick, reasonably strong and have parts availability for when i smash it up. 

I briefly considered a boomerang rere too, but they have their own issues.

Anything non tamiya seems to be £300 which is too much for the use it would get.

If they would rere the terra scorcher id use that! The rere tamiyas seem to have better parts supply than the current buggies.

3 minutes ago, graemevw said:

I briefly considered a boomerang rere too, but they have their own issues.

Anything non tamiya seems to be £300 which is too much for the use it would get.

If they would rere the terra scorcher id use that! The rere tamiyas seem to have better parts supply than the current buggies.

There is a VERY tidy Zahhak on ebay for £139 right now.....

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

There is a VERY tidy Zahhak on ebay for £139 right now.....

I know. Not much less than a new one delivered from tamico though.

1 minute ago, graemevw said:

I know. Not much less than a new one delivered from tamico though.

True, but still a good thirty quid cheaper, looks minte, and you could spend that on tyres and parts to reinforce the diff. You wouldn't get to build or paint it though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, graemevw said:

Im thinking of getting a buggy for track use. Not racing. Requirements are that it handles ok, is reasonably durable, can be made quick, easy enough to get parts.

Im not sure if i want 2wd or 4wd yet.

Ive been reading alot and it seems the only real options are dt02 or tt02b.

Dn01 and db01 seem to fit the bill better, but there not so easy to find and harder to get bits for.

Are there any other decent options? 

I want something i can thrash at the track and jump without any fear of breaking it due to hard to find or expensive parts so it needs to be a current buggy really. The problem is neither the dt02 or tt02b inspire me at all, id have likes something a bit better.

Only other consideration was maybe a top force?

While I like my TT02B, I will say that you might as well buy something that needs fewer upgrades to live. I got the MS kit, and I sitll had to do a few things. Here's a list of what I did.

Alloy hubs and C's.

GPM ball bearing steering setup

Yeah Racing motor mount

GPM steel front and rear ring and pinion gears.

These four hop ups are ESSENTIAL, not nice to haves, and based on the MS.  If it's a regular TT02B, you also need an alloy shaft and turnbuckles for the suspension, as well as better shock towers, and of course ball bearings.

I have also installed a metal spur gear.

What's your budget?

3 minutes ago, DK308 said:

While I like my TT02B, I will say that you might as well buy something that needs fewer upgrades to live. I got the MS kit, and I sitll had to do a few things. Here's a list of what I did.

Alloy hubs and C's.

GPM ball bearing steering setup

Yeah Racing motor mount

GPM steel front and rear ring and pinion gears.

These four hop ups are ESSENTIAL, not nice to haves, and based on the MS.  If it's a regular TT02B, you also need an alloy shaft and turnbuckles for the suspension, as well as better shock towers, and of course ball bearings.

I have also installed a metal spur gear.

What's your budget?

I was looking as an MS, but even then id need to swap the body as the dual ridge one isnt my cup of tea.

Budget, i dunno 100-200 i guess, but the more i spend the more likely it is id sell a vintage to fund it. Usual story, its not the amount of money, its the amount of money i can justify. It will only get used once a month, maybe 6 times a year, but its still cheaper than smashing up vintage buggies on the track! I had my first track drive this weekend and enjoyed it. I want to do more but dont want to be tracking down parts for vintage cars after every meet. My current cars i 'could' use are terra scorcher, vintage super astute or a vanquish. All of those are too awkward to fix to be trying to drive quickly on track. Thats why i thought id better get something more suitable.

If you want to stay within the Tamiya family, the TRF201 would be the best option.  The main reason is that it has upgraded dampers compared to the DN01.  I have a DN01, but I also do have the big bore dampers and all the other TRF bits on it so it's not really a DN01 anymore.  I don't know where you are located, but the TamiyaUSA site has the TRF201 listed for $175 which is a bargain (granted, no electronics).

If you aren't too concerned with it being a Tamiya, there are always good deals to be had of the current competition buggies.  Since most of the companies release new models each year, you can pick up a 2-3 year old model pretty cheap.  I bought a used 2016 XRAY XB4 within your price range (without electronics).  

Just keep in mind with the competition buggies, you generally just get the chassis so you'll need to budget electronics and tires.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mahjik said:

If you want to stay within the Tamiya family, the TRF201 would be the best option.  The main reason is that it has upgraded dampers compared to the DN01.  I have a DN01, but I also do have the big bore dampers and all the other TRF bits on it so it's not really a DN01 anymore.  I don't know where you are located, but the TamiyaUSA site has the TRF201 listed for $175 which is a bargain (granted, no electronics).

If you aren't too concerned with it being a Tamiya, there are always good deals to be had of the current competition buggies.  Since most of the companies release new models each year, you can pick up a 2-3 year old model pretty cheap.  I bought a used 2016 XRAY XB4 within your price range (without electronics).  

Just keep in mind with the competition buggies, you generally just get the chassis so you'll need to budget electronics and tires.

Im happy with it being just a bare buggy. The main thing thats stopping me going modern and non tamiya is i have no clue what any of the new buggies are or what they are like!

Would be nice if it was tamiya though.

Im in the uk. I saw tamiya usa's trf201's, certainly great value for money. 

Im still unsure if i want 2wd or 4wd though.

My 2 cents, I enjoyed driving my DN01/TRF201 more than the XB4.  That could just be down to setup so I am working on setting up the XB4, as well as the XB4 having a bigger motor.  Depending on your surface type, 2wd can be more tricky to drive.  There are a lot of things that 4wd can help save you (i.e. if you nose dive the car, you can save with the front wheels driving, if you go off track 4wd can climb the curbs, 4wd is closer to point and shoot). 

Another option is to go to the track and see if you can drive some of the other's cars.  Most of the time on a practice day, drivers will let you run their car for a few laps.  That would allow you to try a 2wd and 4wd to figure out which you would prefer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mahjik said:

I was thinking TRF 201, 211 etc. too. Not the cheapest to start with, but they work and are well sorted out of the box. Problem with the kits that need a lot of hop ups, once that ball rolls, it gets pricey fast.

• Like 1

Id get thebuild. DB01RR(R).  For genreral running my opinion is that a 4wd is more fun, easier to handle and more interesting to build.

• Like 1

I looked at DB01RR a while back and then got  a Top Force instead - currently building an XV-01 I suddenly find myself wanting a DB01RR - this forum is going to make me broke....! can you but normal Tamiya hex's on the DB01 so you can fit normal wheels?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gizard said:

I looked at DB01RR a while back and then got  a Top Force instead - currently building an XV-01 I suddenly find myself wanting a DB01RR - this forum is going to make me broke....! can you but normal Tamiya hex's on the DB01 so you can fit normal wheels?

Yes. You can get 12 mm hex adapters. Just ordered them for my TRF503 build.

Part numbers are.

54668 and 54669. They are the ones for the RRR.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, graemevw said:

Im happy with it being just a bare buggy. The main thing thats stopping me going modern and non tamiya is i have no clue what any of the new buggies are or what they are like!

Would be nice if it was tamiya though.

Im in the uk. I saw tamiya usa's trf201's, certainly great value for money. 

Im still unsure if i want 2wd or 4wd though.

For just fun time at the track without racing?  That has Zahhak written all over it.  My DB01 (no R) is not in running condition yet.  But as other members have said, I have a feeling that I'd prefer DN01 too.  2WD being less controllable is somehow more fun than 4WD.  

The layout of DT02 is similar.  But DT02 is a rabbit when DN01 is a greyhound. 

I mostly buy cheap used bashers.  I have no inclination to race.  DT02 suits me fine, but I don't regret getting a DN01. (Though, I got it when it was about the same price as DT02)  If you can find a beat up used DN01 for $120, and a new DT02 for the same money, I'd recommend the beat up DN01.  But you can start with a DT02, and years later, get a Zahhak.  That would be fun to see how different they are. (yes, that would mean owning both in the end)  

23 minutes ago, Juggular said:

For just fun time at the track without racing?  That has Zahhak written all over it.  My DB01 (no R) is not in running condition yet.  But as other members have said, I have a feeling that I'd prefer DN01 too.  2WD being less controllable is somehow more fun than 4WD.  

The layout of DT02 is similar.  But DT02 is a rabbit when DN01 is a greyhound. 

I mostly buy cheap used bashers.  I have no inclination to race.  DT02 suits me fine, but I don't regret getting a DN01. (Though, I got it when it was about the same price as DT02)  If you can find a beat up used DN01 for $120, and a new DT02 for the same money, I'd recommend the beat up DN01.  But you can start with a DT02, and years later, get a Zahhak.  That would be fun to see how different they are. (yes, that would mean owning both in the end)  

I do think the dn01 is winning. Ill keep my eyes open for a bargain.

Although my stupid brain is eyeing my brat type thing and whispering 'build a racing from' quietly.

• Like 1

lol... Brat is a good basher too.  I ended up with 4 ORVs.  Through all its faults, it's an excellent runner.  

You can get a $40 Frog roller.  Put some sticky grease in the diff, and in the front spring holders. You can run it a 500 miles until it turns to dust.  Technological superiority isn't necessarily fun.  DN01 is a technologically superior fun car.  ORV is low tech fun.  So why not an ORV?

Ultimately i think ill be disappointed with its handling and jumping ability. I could build it without a body with parts i already have though.

• Haha 1

I race both 2wd and 4wd buggies and would recommend a 4wd buggy if its occassional use. Admittedly i race on a low grip track, on high grip tracks 2wd may be better. 4wd is much more fun, its point and shoot and a lot more forgiving. 2wd is either amazing if everything comes together or frustrating as anything because your tyres are wrong or something else with setup.

From the kits I have seen currently for sale either the TRF201 from tamiyausa or the DB01RR from rcjaz are the best options.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I race both 2wd and 4wd buggies and would recommend a 4wd buggy if its occassional use. Admittedly i race on a low grip track, on high grip tracks 2wd may be better. 4wd is much more fun, its point and shoot and a lot more forgiving. 2wd is either amazing if everything comes together or frustrating as anything because your tyres are wrong or something else with setup.

From the kits I have seen currently for sale either the TRF201 from tamiyausa or the DB01RR from rcjaz are the best options.

I drive at the track days graeme is talking about and in my experience my DN01/TRF201 hybrid is way more fun to drive than my DB01R was. I agree the DB01R was point and shoot and it was brilliant if the track was cold and damp first thing, but this track is high grip yet bumpy and technical. But that got dull quite quickly because it just dominated the track and made it fairly easy. When you are racing I expect this trait is brilliant, but for track days where driving is the fun bit it's just a bit too clinical. The rear motor 2wd is just really fun.

With the DN01 you can dial out most of the understeer due to the grip with tyre choice and judicious spring choice, but it's still a bit challenging to drive nicely and jumps brilliantly. My mid motor TRF211 at the same track is ultimately faster but way less fun because its mid motor means the handling is spiker and its just less forgiving. I am constantly tweaking it and up to a point fighting it. I just drive my TRF201 and have fun. My friend brought his newly aquired 201 to the recent meet and found exactly the same thing. If you are making your judgement on modern mid motor race buggies I totally get it, but out of everything I have owned and run nothing comes close to that rear motor TRF for just flat out fun with capability and confidence. 

• Like 2