graemevw

Decent track buggy

I'd like to add one more opinion on the matter 😉.  The Egress is a great back yard and track runner.  The modifications Tamiya did with the original design and new plastic materials have made it a really rugged basher that is fun on the track. 

• Like 3

Trouble with ordering a DB01RR from RCJAZ to the UK is that with shipping it's 257 then with VAT it's 309 + 6.5 duty and then probably the hold charge of 13 or what ever it is so it then becomes 330 ish…..

on the plus side seems there are plenty of spares available uk wise...

7 hours ago, gizard said:

Trouble with ordering a DB01RR from RCJAZ to the UK is that with shipping it's 257 then with VAT it's 309 + 6.5 duty and then probably the hold charge of 13 or what ever it is so it then becomes 330 ish…..

on the plus side seems there are plenty of spares available uk wise...

Just a suggestion. But if the price gets that high, why not utilize some of the offers on rigs like the Egress? This looks like a pretty good price, and it's a great rc. Just a thought. https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-egress-2013/rc-car-products/379924

1 minute ago, DK308 said:

Just a suggestion. But if the price gets that high, why not utilize some of the offers on rigs like the Egress? This looks like a pretty good price, and it's a great rc. Just a thought. https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-egress-2013/rc-car-products/379924

I have most of an egress. Need a couple of pieces. They are a bit expensive though, id be worried about breaking it all the time. Im after something i dont have to be too concerned about. Missed a corner and hit a wall? No problem. Took the jump waaaay too fast? No problem.

I want to be able to push the car further than my ability and not be tooo concerned.

• Like 1

I think next time i go ill drive my super astute, the terra scorcher and my vanquish (carefully!). That should give me more of an idea what i actually want. Then ill probably go zahhak (i actually like the body) or durga.

• Like 2

Sorry I have hijacked the thread a bit !

I already have an Egress and it is reasonably robust. Except I have broken a few ball diff bolts (as per another thread).

Is the DB01RR actually still being produced, ie is it possible a UK retailer might be able to get one for a reasonable price?

1 minute ago, gizard said:

I already have an Egress and it is reasonably robust. Except I have broken a few ball diff bolts (as per another thread).

Is the DB01RR actually still being produced, ie is it possible a UK retailer might be able to get one for a reasonable price?

I dont really know, there are a couple about but not many. Its the same with the zahhak though.

There doesnt seem to be any easily available uk option for tamiya buggies. There are only really sand vipers, neo scorchers and all the rere buggies. 

There dont seem to be any current, stocked, mid range buggies that i can see. Thats why i was concerned about parts. 

Parts were the reason I didn't go with a Durga.  Once I looked at the price of the kit, if I wanted to do big bore shocks, and availability of replacement parts it didn't make a lot of financial sense when there are more modern 4wd used vehicles available for much less.  I'm a Tamiya fan, but not that big of a fan.  :)

Every now and then, a used Durga pops up on Ebay so that might be something to put a watch on...  I will say the used 4wd's do sell much quicker than the used 2wd's competition buggies.

A couple people mentioned the Egress ruggedness as a concern. Maybe this is true for the original, however the new one is bulletproof. The differentials are bulletproof as well. I've been running a Novak 10.5 brushless in the chassis for nearly 6 years with nothing broken ( was installed in my BS Avante first). I've launched these cars off 1/8 scale off-road triples, hit stationary objects, and various other cars, and nothing has broken. Additionally being that the chassis family has been around now 7 years parts are everywhere. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, GTodd said:

A couple people mentioned the Egress ruggedness as a concern. Maybe this is true for the original, however the new one is bulletproof. The differentials are bulletproof as well. I've been running a Novak 10.5 brushless in the chassis for nearly 6 years with nothing broken ( was installed in my BS Avante first). I've launched these cars off 1/8 scale off-road triples, hit stationary objects, and various other cars, and nothing has broken. Additionally being that the chassis family has been around now 7 years parts are everywhere. 

I'm not sure i agree with bulletproof!

20190411_182944(0).thumb.jpg.a76750c72f9c16f3976bdbe745071bbe.jpg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, gizard said:

I believe neither the RR or RRR is currently being manufactured. I read somewhere that the RRR replacement will be out in August. Dunno, i could be way wrong on that one.

34 minutes ago, GTodd said:

I guess its a hang up from age old stories of avantes.

3 minutes ago, DK308 said:

I believe neither the RR or RRR is currently being manufactured. I read somewhere that the RRR replacement will be out in August. Dunno, i could be way wrong on that one.

This is whats needed, a new decent modern buggy. Tamiya is lacking this at the moment. Surely they must be planning something? Surely they cant purely be focusing on comicals and rere's!

• Like 1

TRF201 is easy to work on and very durable. Probably the best 2wd buggy out there that does everything well. 

TRF211XM is another sweet chassis if you want mid motor and run on more clay 

On 4/17/2019 at 9:33 AM, nellyle said:

I'm not sure i agree with bulletproof!

20190411_182944(0).thumb.jpg.a76750c72f9c16f3976bdbe745071bbe.jpg

Well geez if you put it on it's roof or nose it into a landing it's going to brake. The original Avante and Egress broke sitting on the shelf! 

1 hour ago, GTodd said:

Well geez if you put it on it's roof or nose it into a landing it's going to brake. The original Avante and Egress broke sitting on the shelf! 

Haha, yeah, fair enough, i might have been a bit rough! All fixed now though, I did order a spare shock tower just in case!

10 minutes ago, nellyle said:

Haha, yeah, fair enough, i might have been a bit rough! All fixed now though, I did order a spare shock tower just in case!

No worries not judging, cant tell you how many rear top force gearboxes Ive broken!

At the risk of getting thrown off the Tamiya page, have you thought about something like a Schumacher KD (Or KC if running on carpet)?

With the Laydown arriving any day now, I can see the price of those dropping and as Schumacher are a UK company, parts availability is never a problem and their track ability is never in question.

• Like 2

I have considered, yes. I like the look of them too. Ill keep an eye on their prices if they are about to be superseded.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, graemevw said:

I have considered, yes

There'll be a few decent second hand ones for sale as soon as people take delivery.

Used Schumachers don't come around often.  When they do, they are typically costly.  There is a carpet Schumacher up for sale right now on RCTech.  However, for a 2wd modern competition buggy, Schumacher is what I would go with.  From an inexpensive used 2wd perspective, TLR and Team Associated will have the best deals.  Mainly because so many are bought the the used market gets flooded with them.

1 hour ago, Mahjik said:

Just an example of a good used TA 2wd buggy for sale:

https://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/1041201-team-associated-b6-17-5-artr-%24250-00-a.html

I don't think he is in the US. Schumacher cars may be more common where he's from. RCtech ads are pretty much a US only thing, so shipping kills those deals for him.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Biz73 said:

I don't think he is in the US. Schumacher cars may be more common where he's from. RCtech ads are pretty much a US only thing, so shipping kills those deals for him.

As mentioned, it was an example of what is in the used market.  Wasn't intended as a "buy this", it was intended as just showing what can be bought and what are some example pricing. 

21 hours ago, Mahjik said:

As mentioned, it was an example of what is in the used market.  Wasn't intended as a "buy this", it was intended as just showing what can be bought and what are some example pricing. 

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude, just pointing out that he wasn't here in the US so what's available might be different. Sorry if it sounded like I was being a jerk, that wasn't my intention at all.