graemevw

Decent track buggy

I have a vast number of Tamiya buggy’s, both race and non race. 

My gut says get a DN01 in that 150 quid mark. They drive like a dream compared to any and all other Tamiya 2wd buggy’s.  They are simply a lower cost variation of a full race Buggy, they lack the bling, but have all the handling. There is plenty of scope for upgrades if that’s your thing. Stock however it will destroy any other non trf Tamiya 2wd Buggy on the track regardless of any hopups fitted. 

Tamiyas DB01 is a obvious 4wd option, but... 4wd buggy’s are boring unless you put a stupid motor in them, and if you do that, it’s always broken... this is why I think the DN01 is probably the right choice within your budget and considering you want a NIB kit. 

• Like 2

If looking to buy new (and want to stick with Tamiya), it seems like the DN01 is good option. It comes with the TRF201 pedigree, and will be a solid buggy as others have stated. I would just worry about falling into the hop-up trap and the eventual costs of trying to bring it up to true TRF201 spec.

Another thing you may want to consider is that the TRF201 and Associated B4 (or was it 4.1?) are practically the same buggy, and there may be some good deals on used B4s out there.

I haven't looked at this listing closely, but there's a used RTR B4 available for £115 BIN right now: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Team-Associated-B4-RC-Radio-Controlled-Car-RTR/153395807179

1 hour ago, frameskip said:

If looking to buy new (and want to stick with Tamiya), it seems like the DN01 is good option. It comes with the TRF201 pedigree, and will be a solid buggy as others have stated. I would just worry about falling into the hop-up trap and the eventual costs of trying to bring it up to true TRF201 spec.

Another thing you may want to consider is that the TRF201 and Associated B4 (or was it 4.1?) are practically the same buggy, and there may be some good deals on used B4s out there.

I haven't looked at this listing closely, but there's a used RTR B4 available for £115 BIN right now: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Team-Associated-B4-RC-Radio-Controlled-Car-RTR/153395807179

Yep B4 is a great buggy, the TRF201 was basically nicknamed the Metric B4, and the AE is all imperial hardware 

On 4/21/2019 at 3:49 PM, Mahjik said:

Used Schumachers don't come around often.  When they do, they are typically costly.  There is a carpet Schumacher up for sale right now on RCTech.  However, for a 2wd modern competition buggy, Schumacher is what I would go with.  From an inexpensive used 2wd perspective, TLR and Team Associated will have the best deals.  Mainly because so many are bought the the used market gets flooded with them.

UK wise, Schumacher have a big presence, as also, Team Associated (dont think I've seen a Team Losi ,wouldn't know where to start looking for spares etc) and second hand cars are fairly frequent, although more cars swap hands through club members, as the sponsored guys sell theirs on (think they go through 2 a season?).

The best deals on a track car, are at a club, whether it's Schumacher, Associated, PR racing etc, and the chances are, a contact for an area rep for parts 👍

• Like 2