Sign in to follow this  
KitTheRam

Newbie questions.

Recommended Posts

Hey.

I have just got a new longer lasting battery (5300, 7.2v) for my grasshopper II. For best results do I charge it out the box or use it till it dies then charge to full?

Also, what are the best upgrades for my RC? Any links welcome. 

Thanks.

Kit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KitTheRam said:

Hey.

I have just got a new longer lasting battery (5300, 7.2v) for my grasshopper II. For best results do I charge it out the box or use it till it dies then charge to full?

Also, what are the best upgrades for my RC? Any links welcome. 

Thanks.

Kit

I like to do a slow charge at 0.5C first time with an equally slow discharge rate and let the charger cycle it like that three times. At any rate, you would want your first charge to be straight out of the box at less than 1c. I would just charge @ 2Ah for the first charge on such a NiMH pack.

As mentioned,the TFE bearings. The Tamiya ball bearings are not that great.

CVA shocks such as:

http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-50519-55mm64mm67mm70mm-mini-shock-unit-p-16274.html?cPath=389_390

http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-50520-80mm87mm94mm-short-shock-unit-p-8386.html

And of course a 540 motor - and ESC fit for a 540 if not already in it. For this you will need a Mod .8 18 tooth pinion gear.

Some suggestions for a nice 540 conversion

Hobbywing Quicrun WP1060 brushed ESC

Absima Thrust B-Spec 21t motor or similar budget minded 21t motors.

Pinion. http://www.rcmart.com/robinson-racing-1718-hardened-pitch-absolute-pinion-teeth-p-73422.html?cPath=1293_1519

Note that if you choose to install a 540 motor, it will bolt directly to the gearbox and the motor adapter that sits between the 360 motor and gearbox will not be needed.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, DK308 said:

I like to do a slow charge at 0.5C first time with an equally slow discharge rate and let the charger cycle it like that three times. At any rate, you would want your first charge to be straight out of the box at less than 1c. I would just charge @ 2Ah for the first charge on such a NiMH pack.

As mentioned,the TFE bearings. The Tamiya ball bearings are not that great.

CVA shocks such as:

http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-50519-55mm64mm67mm70mm-mini-shock-unit-p-16274.html?cPath=389_390

http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-50520-80mm87mm94mm-short-shock-unit-p-8386.html

And of course a 540 motor - and ESC fit for a 540 if not already in it. For this you will need a Mod .8 18 tooth pinion gear.

Some suggestions for a nice 540 conversion

Hobbywing Quicrun WP1060 brushed ESC

Absima Thrust B-Spec 21t motor or similar budget minded 21t motors.

Pinion. http://www.rcmart.com/robinson-racing-1718-hardened-pitch-absolute-pinion-teeth-p-73422.html?cPath=1293_1519

Note that if you choose to install a 540 motor, it will bolt directly to the gearbox and the motor adapter that sits between the 360 motor and gearbox will not be needed.

Thanks for all the advice. This is my ESC, https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/mtroniks-viper-eco27/.

Will it work with a 540?

Thanks

Kit

(no news on the wheels?!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Eco will work with a 27t 540 motor, but would potentially overheat with anything lower.

You would have a far wider choice of wheels if you fitted 12mm hex adapters to the rear as the proprietary fitment used by the stock wheels limits your options severely. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That ESC will work fine with a 540 27t motor. One of these would be way better than a regular silver can bug much cheaper than a tamiya dirt tuned

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=428009&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-tXlBRDWARIsAGYQAmccrn3dXSeBibiDkqNdUfpRjjOrQD9uJli2dQ1EqGnhlFE-cfD2ZB0aAp9eEALw_wcB

Easiest wheel upgrade is to get Wild One wheels. The Super G version used them. I have them on my GH2. The rear are vintage race 2" diameter so boomerang tyres for general running would be good, but I use 2" size Schumacher mini spike yellow compound with tubby inserts for grass and astro running. The fronts are 2.1" but modern 2.2" slim 2wd tyres work. I use Schumacher cut Stagger. I believe you need the Frog 12mm hex conversion to run anything modern 12mm hex. Front bearing mountibg means you are pretty much stuck with tamiya fronts regardless. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone.

Having a tinker on the kitchen table. This RC stuff is a lot of fun. I got a 5300 battery but it only just fits, so can’t close the hatch properly so rubber banding it - a bit of a bodge but will keep the hatch from coming loose. The bigger battery is wedged in but fine. 

 

5CE41479-2759-4480-AE98-9AF5C4ED5C82.jpeg

8B48FA0E-8D2C-4CA5-819A-7F6A75533296.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/16/2019 at 9:58 PM, ThunderDragonCy said:

That ESC will work fine with a 540 27t motor. One of these would be way better than a regular silver can bug much cheaper than a tamiya dirt tuned

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=428009&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-tXlBRDWARIsAGYQAmccrn3dXSeBibiDkqNdUfpRjjOrQD9uJli2dQ1EqGnhlFE-cfD2ZB0aAp9eEALw_wcB

Easiest wheel upgrade is to get Wild One wheels. The Super G version used them. I have them on my GH2. The rear are vintage race 2" diameter so boomerang tyres for general running would be good, but I use 2" size Schumacher mini spike yellow compound with tubby inserts for grass and astro running. The fronts are 2.1" but modern 2.2" slim 2wd tyres work. I use Schumacher cut Stagger. I believe you need the Frog 12mm hex conversion to run anything modern 12mm hex. Front bearing mountibg means you are pretty much stuck with tamiya fronts regardless. 

Bought this motor today. Is it plug and play? Or will have to do something to the gearbox first? 

Also do know if any shocks that will fit that are not black / standard looking?

I am going to buy ‘the frog’ hex adapters so I can get some more modern wheels.

Thanks

Kit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, KitTheRam said:

Bought this motor today. Is it plug and play? Or will have to do something to the gearbox first? 

Also do know if any shocks that will fit that are not black / standard looking?

I am going to buy ‘the frog’ hex adapters so I can get some more modern wheels.

Thanks

Kit

Yes, plug it straight into the gearbox with stock pinion and into the ESC leads. 

There isn't anything off the shelf, but you could buy the DT03 CVA set to get everything you need then get either the Neo Scorcher or Dual Ridge W parts and Y parts. They are the damper bodies and top caps. The neo scorcher versions are yellow, the dual ridge are white. I would suggest getting some really light (I got 10wt) oil for the rear shocks. They don't need much damping because of the live axle. Put the Tamiya oil in the front shocks. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, KitTheRam said:

Bought this motor today. Is it plug and play? Or will have to do something to the gearbox first? 

Also do know if any shocks that will fit that are not black / standard looking?

I am going to buy ‘the frog’ hex adapters so I can get some more modern wheels.

Thanks

Kit

These dampers will work and are made from aluminium. https://tamico.de/navi.php?a=9885&lang=eng

When installing the 540 motor, don't use the motor adapter used with the 380 motor. And like I mentioned earlier, you need an 18 tooth 32p/0.8 mod pinion. There is an illustration in the build manual, which shows how a 540 motor is installed.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
On 4/27/2019 at 2:32 PM, KitTheRam said:

Bought this motor today. Is it plug and play?

Yes, if wires came soldered on yours.  I have several of those motors (two 23Ts and a 21T). They came with wires unattached.  Also make sure you got a 27T motor and not a 21t. (The description says 27t, but the photo shows a 21t)  Eco27 can't handle anything less than 27T.  If you happened to get a 21T, that's not the end of the world. You could get a Hobbywing Quicrun 1060 ESC. 1060 can handle a greater variety of motors than Eco27.    

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this