GTodd

Traxxas Xmaxx

Good Morning gang

I want a monster truck, 90% of the time my RC cars and trucks are enjoyed in my back yard with my kids.  Once in a while i get to a track, because of that fact I think my next RC will be a monster truck.  I really want a Tamiya such as a TXT, I dont like the TXT2 and to get it to look like a TXT would send my total cost to over 600. NIB TXT prices are insane and I wont even try to get a Jugg.

That leaves me with the Xmaxx, it is a little more money than I want to spend, but once I get a TXT2 to where I want it to be id be at 90% of an Xmaxx price anyway.

So convince me I dont want an Xmaxx, or is that even possible???

Come on Tamiya give us a 1/5 vehicle already!

I will give it a shot. The Xmaxx is huge, will scare small children, and woodland creatures! Your going to leave deep gouges in your lawn! I guess that's about it really. Seriously, the Xmaxx and TXT are worlds apart. I have had a green Xmaxx for about 2 years now, and have only replaced the rear drive cups due to wear. But, I beat on this truck regularly, and its probably the most durable R/C I have ever owned. It can and will run over anything in its path, I have even seen videos of guys running these things across ponds with paddle tires. Do I regret buying a Xmaxx? not a chance!

• Like 1

If the XMaxx is your baseline, then I don't think Tamiya will have anything to offer.  It's "models suitable for radio control" vs. "the fastest name in radio control."  Choose appropriately.

• Like 1

In the UK at least the price difference between a TXT-2 and an X-Maxx is pretty significant. TXT-2 can be had for as little as £300 or so and an X-Maxx will set you back £950. Maybe things are different where you are...

The two trucks are also totally different animals, One is a solid axle monster truck with scale looks, the other is a fully signed up hooligan truggy on steroids.

If you want true classic monster truck looks, what about a Clod Buster? If you want something like an X-Maxx, you really only have one choice, buy one!

For general bashing my preference would be for a Traxxas UDR, if I had to stray away from Tamiya.

If scale looks aren't important, and you want halfway-decent performance on a track, try looking at something like an E-Revo. Their lower CoG really help handling (and the walk of shame when you inevitably flip it onto its lid).

I have an X-Maxx and it's a great vehicle. Nothing Tamiya will compare! I keep mine at 6s for lipos (I doubt I'll ever get 8s, too much power). 

Keep in mind the battery cost, and you'll need a lipo charger. Also, you'll want to pick up a bluetooth module so you can update the firmware when there is a push. 

If I read correctly, you do most of your running at home? How big is your yard? I live on 1/2 an acre or so and my Emaxx gets boring quick. I can only imagine what an Xmaxx might be like. The trucks are so big and fast, you wind up tearing from one end of the yard to the other very quickly. They roll over absolutely everything so obstacles aren't much of a challenge. I always feel I need more space to let my Emaxx stretch its legs. If you've got a lot of property or intend to take it out and about, disregard what I've said. 

• Like 1

Great advice gang. It's not that I'm comparing capability of the two trucks but price. One where are you guys finding txt2s for 300 euros? Two once I get a TXT-2 to where I want it to be I'm going to be close to what a TMaxx costs even though they are in complete different classes.

Tamiya have nothing comparable, it's just the honest truth!

Could they make something comparable? Possibly but they seem more interested in novelty and nostalgia these days when it comes to off road models. I think the last time they truly tried to be competitive was when they copied the T-Maxx but that kind of fizzled out. Maybe if they had gone after the E-Maxx instead it might have turned out a little different.

I wouldn't expect a large scale truggy/MT any time soon although I always hold out hope for a new 1/10 platform in the same vein as the slash but with a little Tamiya character. If they made a decent bashing chassis they could get a lot of mileage out of it via different configurations, it could easily be a buggy/truggy/stadium truck/monster truck etc in differing forms. Imagine something with the ability of a slash but with Tamiya touches, you could make it modular so you could choose between 2wd/4wd even bring back dual motors etc.

• Like 1