Sign in to follow this  
salvine

TA03rsTRF shocks

I just bought one of these from Buyee in Japan and wondered why the shocks are different colors front to rear. It looks like they came that way new. two purple and two blue shocks? Seems odd.

• Thanks 1

It’s how they came, it’s something that sets that particular car apart from other TA03 kits.

Should be red and blue, Tamiya colours ;)

Red! I thought they were pink🤔 part of the 49100 set! 

I suppose they are red in some lights😁

Odd ball chassis but nice with it. 

51 minutes ago, svenb said:

Red! I thought they were pink🤔 part of the 49100 set! 

I suppose they are red in some lights😁

Odd ball chassis but nice with it. 

Pink used to be Tamiya's choice of color for "limited items", and in person the TA03RS dampers look identical those in the 49100 pink/silver set.

I always thought they gave you two different colors in order to differentiate the front and rear dampers for tuning purposes.

I always thought they were supposed to be red. The Tamiya red anodizing does fade though over time making it look more pink. Look at some of the TBevo Surikarns, some are a light pink.

But you're right. I just checked the Tamiya.com official listing. This is in their spec list.

TA03 Super Low Friction Damper F/R=Silver+Pink/Silver+Blue

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/58243ta03rs_trf/ta03rs_trf.htm

8 hours ago, Tizer said:

I always thought they were supposed to be red. The Tamiya red anodizing does fade though over time making it look more pink. Look at some of the TBevo Surikarns, some are a light pink.

The old 53155 low-friction set is also an odd shade of red -- far more pink than the standard Tamiya red coating. It's my personal belief that Tamiya chose this color to be more fade-resistant and it just didn't go as planned :lol:

If you look at the Surikarn next to anything that Tamiya has produced in red, you'll notice that Surikarns are always a bit of a unique "rose" color.

I'll have to upload some photos later, but I also believe Tamiya were aware that the Surikarn didn't have any matching hop-up dampers, so they actually sold a very limited number of damper bodies with rose-colored caps. Now I know you're probably thinking "but didn't they offer the 49294 "red" TRF dampers already?". Well yes, but that set isn't the correct color for the Surikarn. The 49294 set is more of a deep red and doesn't at all exactly match the rose-colored chassis parts. I happen to have both versions in my collection and the difference is very obvious when seen in person. B)

Here's the 49100 pink/silver dampers compared to the old 53155 pinkish color. Pretty obvious difference:

FVcKeFi.jpg

Here's the Surikarn red damper caps compared to the 49294 red damper set. There is also a considerable difference between these two "red" colors:

UwqvEDD.jpg

I've never compared the Surikarn-red to the old 53155 set and sort of surprised at how close they are in color:

5mgx4Wx.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OCD said:

The old 53155 low-friction set is also an odd shade of red -- far more pink than the standard Tamiya red coating. It's my personal belief that Tamiya chose this color to be more fade-resistant and it just didn't go as planned :lol:

If you look at the Surikarn next to anything that Tamiya has produced in red, you'll notice that Surikarns are always a bit of a unique "rose" color.

I'll have to upload some photos later, but I also believe Tamiya were aware that the Surikarn didn't have any matching hop-up dampers, so they actually sold a very limited number of damper bodies with rose-colored caps. Now I know you're probably thinking "but didn't they offer the 49294 "red" TRF dampers already?". Well yes, but that set isn't the correct color for the Surikarn. The 49294 set is more of a deep red and doesn't at all match the rose-colored chassis parts. I happen to have both versions in my collection and the difference is very obvious when seen in person. B)

Great subject Steve 👍

I've just checked my Surikarn fitted with the 49294 damper set, and it's pretty **** close! Maybe a bit more shine. 

Love to see the limited edition rose red dampers 😉

1555608115428-279614700.jpg

Really stirred the pot I guess...I'm just excited to have a sweet TA03 with all the goodies now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, salvine said:

Really stirred the pot I guess...I'm just excited to have a sweet TA03 with all the goodies now.

Need to see now😉

Think I'm fully hopped up with mine 👍

Nice 👍 

Jealous of the pink King pins and servo stays! 

Nice catch 👍 Good to see they included the otherwise-unobtainable pink motor plate.

eRQu7U3.jpg

xQ4xVii.jpg

On 4/18/2019 at 4:08 PM, OCD said:

I'll have to upload some photos later, but I also believe Tamiya were aware that the Surikarn didn't have any matching hop-up dampers, so they actually sold a very limited number of damper bodies with rose-colored caps. Now I know you're probably thinking "but didn't they offer the 49294 "red" TRF dampers already?". Well yes, but that set isn't the correct color for the Surikarn. The 49294 set is more of a deep red and doesn't at all exactly match the rose-colored chassis parts. I happen to have both versions in my collection and the difference is very obvious when seen in person. B)

Interesting! I actually happen to have a pair of the 'rose' dampers NIP like the one on your pictures. I have the 49294 as well and noticed the difference, but I thought it had just something to do with it being from different times and different batches. I didn't know it was specifically for the Surikarn. Ever expanding our collective Tamiya knowledge here on Tamiyaclub :lol: I also have the rerelease red damper parts, those are even 'more red'.