Sign in to follow this  
DK308

Tamiya PS paint combos?

Hi guys

I'm thinking about various paint schemes for my TRF503 body. Has anyone tried combining PS-53 Lame Flake with either PS-52 or PS-46? Of course with black backing. But was wondering if one could start with PS-53, then lay PS-52 or PS-46 on that, and then finish with black?

Thanks all

big fan of Lame Flake but don't use it under any of the Anodised or Flip paints. They rely on a mirror smooth surface to do their magic; whereas Lame Flame leaves a lumpy craggy surface looks like sandpaper.

You could try Lame Flake between the Anodised & Black layers... but I think that's overkill, waste of expensive paint :) I'd keep it separate. Lame Flake & Pearls are best for jazzing up solid colours.

• Like 1

Could someone please describe what lame flake looks like? It's probably the only PS color Ive never used.

On 4/18/2019 at 5:22 AM, WillyChang said:

big fan of Lame Flake but don't use it under any of the Anodised or Flip paints. They rely on a mirror smooth surface to do their magic; whereas Lame Flame leaves a lumpy craggy surface looks like sandpaper.

You could try Lame Flake between the Anodised & Black layers... but I think that's overkill, waste of expensive paint :) I'd keep it separate. Lame Flake & Pearls are best for jazzing up solid colours.

Thank you. That's the kind of info I needed. I guess it's a no-go. I would think that the effect of the flakes would be ruined as the ano paint will obscure the flakes. I used lame flakes with clear red which was very cool, but that's a smooth clear surface the flakes can be seen properly through. The flip paints and the ano paints will probably make it hard to even see the flakes.

5 minutes ago, Otis311 said:

Could someone please describe what lame flake looks like? It's probably the only PS color Ive never used.

It's basically just sparkling metal flakes in a clear paint.

26 minutes ago, DK308 said:

Thank you. That's the kind of info I needed. I guess it's a no-go. I would think that the effect of the flakes would be ruined as the ano paint will obscure the flakes. I used lame flakes with clear red which was very cool, but that's a smooth clear surface the flakes can be seen properly through. The flip paints and the ano paints will probably make it hard to even see the flakes.

No the ano & flip (& chrome) paints go on nearly transparent slightly hazy, their particles are so fine you can't see them... until you back it with PS5 only then they pop. 

Use them behind a translucent colour for some striking colours. 

Lame flake is a rainbow particulate, looks like an oldskool glitter bowling ball :) 

here is with dark green

DSC02848.jpg

Metallic blue

DSC_0438s.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WillyChang said:

No the ano & flip (& chrome) paints go on nearly transparent slightly hazy, their particles are so fine you can't see them... until you back it with PS5 only turn they pop. 

Use them behind a translucent colour for some striking colours. 

Lame flake is a rainbow particulate, looks like an oldskool glitter bowling ball :) 

here is with dark green

DSC02848.jpg

Metallic blue

DSC_0438s.jpg

Are you talking about using the flipflops and ano paints behind translucent colours?

12 minutes ago, DK308 said:

Are you talking about using the flipflops and ano paints behind translucent colours?

Yes you can. Translucent will change the colour of the flip.

You can also back with colours other than black, it makes the flip or ano less vibrant. Gunmetal is a great colour to back with for something unique. 

Should take some time to experiment with the paints to see what effects you like.

Paint thickness also changes the effect. With ano & flip I'd need at least half a can to cover a 1/10 touring car; but because it's nearly colourless it's safer to overpaint to avoid any bald spots. 

With lameflake usually 1/5-1/3rd can is more than enough. Once first time I did empty the whole can onto 1 shell... yeah it sure looks like a glitter bowling ball.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WillyChang said:

Yes you can. Translucent will change the colour of the flip.

You can also back with colours other than black, it makes the flip or ano less vibrant. Gunmetal is a great colour to back with for something unique. 

Should take some time to experiment with the paints to see what effects you like.

Paint thickness also changes the effect. With ano & flip I'd need at least half a can to cover a 1/10 touring car; but because it's nearly colourless it's safer to overpaint to avoid any bald spots. 

With lameflake usually 1/5-1/3rd can is more than enough. Once first time I did empty the whole can onto 1 shell... yeah it sure looks like a glitter bowling ball.

Cool.

Any thoughts on what PS-47 on PS-42 would look like?

17 minutes ago, DK308 said:

Cool.

Any thoughts on what PS-47 on PS-42 would look like?

I've never tried this combination, but would be concerned about getting an even coat of the yellow down first. The translucents are notorious for being difficult to apply evenly.

• Like 1

yeah the translucent yellow & orange are really hard to apply evenly in light coats. I avoid them these days as they aren't worth the trouble; I like the trans red & the 2 blues mainly. 

Why are you trying to tint yellow the pink/green flip anyway? At best case it might make the pink into orange and not do much to the green. At worse, might end up muddy or look like PS46 anyway :) 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, WillyChang said:

yeah the translucent yellow & orange are really hard to apply evenly in light coats. I avoid them these days as they aren't worth the trouble; I like the trans red & the 2 blues mainly. 

Why are you trying to tint yellow the pink/green flip anyway? At best case it might make the pink into orange and not do much to the green. At worse, might end up muddy or look like PS46 anyway :) 

Well, it's actually between gold and pink. I was thinking to make ti flip between gold and orange.

If you've already got the paint, give it a test :) if you don't have odd bodies to test on I use PET softdrink bottles. @Shodog also does a lot of paint experimenting, if you care to do a search on his portfolio. 

• Like 1